Hello, I thought it would be nice to be able to replace a local link with the contents of the target file when exporting to Freemind and I couldn't figure out how to do this with the existing options (just started using org-mode). I wanted to be able to make linked notes and then visualise them as a mind map. For instance, exporting something like: * TODO todo-list * stuff * more stuff [[./file.org][testlink]] would produce: ...

DATA

... where 'DATA' is the actual contents of file.org, instead of

I already modified my copy of org-freemind.el to try this out. I just modified org-free-mind-convert-links-from-org to insert the target contents instead of the html link: (defun org-freemind-convert-links-from-org (org-str) "Convert org links in ORG-STR to freemind links and return the result." (let ((fm-str (replace-regexp-in-string (rx (not (any "[\"")) (submatch "http" (opt ?\s) "://" (1+ (any "-%.?@a-zA-Z0-9()_/:~=&#")))) "[[\\1][\\1]]" org-str))) (with-temp-buffer (insert-file-contents(substring fm-str (+ (string-match "\\[\\[" fm-str) 2) (string-match "\\]\\[" fm-str))) (buffer-string)))) (It's been a long time since I've written (*)lisp code so this might not be the best way to do this.) Ideally this expansion would be recursive (and replace links in target files). I only handled one level since this is my usual use case (main note - satellite notes) and making it recursive would also imply doing more restructuring through org-freemind.el, which is out of my way right now. I just dived in to get the functionality through this hack. (This is also why the above code is not in patch notation.) A proper solution would probably be to add more options to org-exp.el and additional code in org-freemind.el. I suppose other export formats, such as ASCII, or just normal editing, might use this option as well. Best regards, Filip