* search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-09 12:00 Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-02-09 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE, that
is in its warning period?

Eg.

* TODO Pay the rent
  DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>

This is a repeatable item so it's always in TODO state and pollutes my
TODO list for 25 out of 30 days in a month. Doing simple
`DEADLINE<="<+5d>"' does not satisfy me because there are notes I would
like to know about much earlier. That's why I'd like to facilitate the
timestamps' own warning periods.

It seems to be workaroundable by adding a SCHEDULED date

* TODO Pay the rent
  SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 +1m>
  DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>

and searching for `SCHEDULED>="<now>"'. But it builds two logs of

  - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-02-01 Mon 14:23]

Is there a cleaner way to do it?

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-09 12:28 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-02-09 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE, that
> is in its warning period?
>
> Eg.

> * TODO Pay the rent
>   DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>

> This is a repeatable item so it's always in TODO state and pollutes my
> TODO list for 25 out of 30 days in a month. Doing simple
> `DEADLINE<="<+5d>"' does not satisfy me because there are notes I would
> like to know about much earlier. That's why I'd like to facilitate the
> timestamps' own warning periods.
>
> It seems to be workaroundable by adding a SCHEDULED date

> * TODO Pay the rent
>   SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 +1m>
>   DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>

> and searching for `SCHEDULED>="<now>"'. But it builds two logs of

>   - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-02-01 Mon 14:23]

> Is there a cleaner way to do it?

I remove entries from the global TODO lists using the variables
org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled, org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines,
org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date

This leaves SCHEDULED and DEADLINE items only on the daily agenda view.

So to see deadlines in the warning period I just go to the agenda for
today (C-c a a) and it shows up.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-09 13:49 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE, that
> is in its warning period?
>
> Eg.
>

> * TODO Pay the rent
>   DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>
>

> This is a repeatable item so it's always in TODO state and pollutes my
> TODO list for 25 out of 30 days in a month. Doing simple
> `DEADLINE<="<+5d>"' does not satisfy me because there are notes I would
> like to know about much earlier. That's why I'd like to facilitate the
> timestamps' own warning periods.
>
> It seems to be workaroundable by adding a SCHEDULED date
>

> * TODO Pay the rent
>   SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 +1m>
>   DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>
>

> and searching for `SCHEDULED>="<now>"'. But it builds two logs of
>

>   - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-02-01 Mon 14:23]
>

> Is there a cleaner way to do it?

(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadline 'near)

With this setting, your items with a deadline will not show up in your
TODO list until they are within the warning period.

Best,
Matt

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-09 13:58   ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-02-09 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE, that
>> is in its warning period?
[...]
> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadline 'near)
>
> With this setting, your items with a deadline will not show up in your
> TODO list until they are within the warning period.

Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I haven't found in the documentation ;-)

--

@ 2010-02-09 14:17   ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-02-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>> Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE, that
>> is in its warning period?
[...]
> I remove entries from the global TODO lists using the variables
> org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled, org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines,
> org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date

Matt's solution with 'near symbol is what I was looking for.

> This leaves SCHEDULED and DEADLINE items only on the daily agenda view.

I use SCHEDULED to /send messages to the future/ and in fact I've got to
try to get rid of SCHEDULED and DEADLINEd TODOs from the agenda view
leaving there only unkeyworderd appointments. I use the
-SCHEDULED>="<now>" to hide them until they become relevant
(someday/maybe list). On the other hand DEDLINES are meant to be
completed by the the designated time but they are still TODOs (next
actions) and not appointments or things I've got to do *exactly* on that
date. So I'd like to keep them off of my agenda and on my TODO list. I
think I'll use (i haven't set up my gtd workflow completely yet) only
plain timestamps to make notes show up on the agenda.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-09 14:22     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>>> Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE,
>>> that
>>> is in its warning period?
> [...]
>> I remove entries from the global TODO lists using the variables
>> org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled, org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines,
>> org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date
>
> Matt's solution with 'near symbol is what I was looking for.

For this variable, `near' means the same as `t', or any non-nil value,
in fact.

- Carsten

>> This leaves SCHEDULED and DEADLINE items only on the daily agenda
>> view.
>
> I use SCHEDULED to /send messages to the future/ and in fact I've
> got to
> try to get rid of SCHEDULED and DEADLINEd TODOs from the agenda view
> leaving there only unkeyworderd appointments. I use the
> -SCHEDULED>="<now>" to hide them until they become relevant
> (someday/maybe list). On the other hand DEDLINES are meant to be
> completed by the the designated time but they are still TODOs (next
> actions) and not appointments or things I've got to do *exactly* on
> that
> date. So I'd like to keep them off of my agenda and on my TODO list. I
> think I'll use (i haven't set up my gtd workflow completely yet) only
> plain timestamps to make notes show up on the agenda.
>
> --
> Miłego dnia,
> Łukasz Stelmach

- Carsten

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-09 14:48       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-09 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

> On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

>> [...]
>>> I remove entries from the global TODO lists using the variables
>>> org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled, org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines,
>>> org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date
>>
>> Matt's solution with 'near symbol is what I was looking for.
>
> For this variable, `near' means the same as `t', or any non-nil value,
> in fact.

Interesting. The docstring for org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines seems to
suggest otherwise. Is this documentation inaccurate?

,----
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means don't show near deadline entries in the global todo list.
| Near means closer than `org-deadline-warning-days' days.
| The idea behind this is that such items will appear in the agenda anyway.
| See also `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date'.
| See also the variable `org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options'.
`----

Best,
Matt

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-10 12:19         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-10 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, emacs-orgmode

On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> Interesting. The docstring for org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines
> seems to
> suggest otherwise. Is this documentation inaccurate?
>
> ,----
> | Documentation:
> | Non-nil means don't show near deadline entries in the global todo
> list.
> | Near means closer than `org-deadline-warning-days' days.
> | The idea behind this is that such items will appear in the agenda
> anyway.
> | See also `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date'.
> | See also the variable `org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options'.
> `----

This ist just to explain what "near" means in the sentence before.
I have improved the docstring, thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-10 18:41           ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-02-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. The docstring for org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines
>> seems to
>> suggest otherwise. Is this documentation inaccurate?
>>
>> ,----
>> | Documentation:
>> | Non-nil means don't show near deadline entries in the global todo
>> list.
>> | Near means closer than `org-deadline-warning-days' days.
>> | The idea behind this is that such items will appear in the agenda
>> anyway.
>> | See also `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date'.
>> | See also the variable `org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options'.
>> `----
>
> This ist just to explain what "near" means in the sentence before.
> I have improved the docstring, thanks.

And I've made it work with 'near and 'far symbols.

Now org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date can be set to:

nil     - to show (not ignore) notes with deadline timestamps
'far    - to ignore notes which are further than the warning period
'near   - to hide deadlines that are really close, good for an ostrich ;-)
non-nil - do not show *any* notes with deadline timestamps on a todo
          list

Check it out

http://github.com/steelman/steelman-org-mode/tree/org-agenda-todo-ignore-close-deadlines
http://github.com/steelman/steelman-org-mode.git

--

@ 2010-02-11 14:07           ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2010-02-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Łukasz Stelmach, Matt Lundin, emacs-orgmode

> On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. The docstring for org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines
>> seems to
>> suggest otherwise. Is this documentation inaccurate?
>>
>> ,----
>> | Documentation:
>> | Non-nil means don't show near deadline entries in the global todo
>> list.
>> | Near means closer than `org-deadline-warning-days' days.
>> | The idea behind this is that such items will appear in the agenda
>> anyway.
>> | See also `org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date'.
>> | See also the variable `org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options'.
>> `----
>
> This ist just to explain what "near" means in the sentence before.
> I have improved the docstring, thanks.

Thanks for the explanation Carsten. That explains why setting the value
to 'near produced the expected behavior. But I see now that "t" does the
same thing.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-11 16:07             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-11 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Lukasz,

thanks for the patch.

I am wondering: What would be a good use case for the `far' setting?

Thanks.

- Carsten

On Feb 10, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting. The docstring for org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines
>>> seems to
>>> suggest otherwise. Is this documentation inaccurate?
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> list.
>>> anyway.
>>> `----
>>
>> This ist just to explain what "near" means in the sentence before.
>> I have improved the docstring, thanks.
>
> And I've made it work with 'near and 'far symbols.
>
> Now org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date can be set to:
>
> nil     - to show (not ignore) notes with deadline timestamps
> 'far    - to ignore notes which are further than the warning period
> 'near   - to hide deadlines that are really close, good for an
> ostrich ;-)
> non-nil - do not show *any* notes with deadline timestamps on a todo
>          list
>
> Check it out
>
> http://github.com/steelman/steelman-org-mode/tree/org-agenda-todo-ignore-close-deadlines
> http://github.com/steelman/steelman-org-mode.git
>

> --
> Miłego dnia,
> Łukasz Stelmach

- Carsten

* Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
@ 2010-02-11 17:39               ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-02-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[...]
>>> This ist just to explain what "near" means in the sentence before.
>>> I have improved the docstring, thanks.
>>
>> And I've made it work with 'near and 'far symbols.
>>
>> Now org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date can be set to:
>>
>> nil     - to show (not ignore) notes with deadline timestamps
>> 'far    - to ignore notes which are further than the warning period
>> 'near   - to hide deadlines that are really close, good for an
>> ostrich ;-)
>> non-nil - do not show *any* notes with deadline timestamps on a todo
>
> I am wondering: What would be a good use case for the `far' setting?

As I've described it somewhere before I use it (and SCHEDULED) for
sending messages to myself in the future. The DEADLINE means to me:

  You've got to finish this job before certain time. But don't worry
  about it if it is not org-deadline-close *now*, you won't find it
  on your todo list too.

SCHEDULED means more or less the same except that there is no date I
should complete the job before and I put -SCHEDULED>="<now>" in all my
filters. For example I've sent send the announcement yesterday, changed
the the keyword to WAITING and put "SCHEDULED: <2010-02-13 sob>".  Then
if I wouldn't have found your reply in my inbox by Saturday I would see
the WAITING item on my todo list.

This is kind of artificial limb util someone writes
org-reality-depend.el. I haven't decided yet how to cope with all this
conditions on a timed agenda view.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach