* All tags in agenda and bug in column view (maybe an emacs bug)
@ 2008-11-26 16:18 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-26 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

first my question: Is it possible to get all tags (declared + inherited)
displayed in the usual agenda (day/week) view?

I'm currently in the process of using tags wherever it makes sense and
I'd like to get rid of custom categories at all.  Basically I'd like to
have the categories private and work, which are extracted from the file
name.

At work I have several projects (which should be easily distinguished in
the agenda), so currently I set custom categories with the CATEGORY
property.  But tags are much more flexible, for example if a given TODO
belongs to several projects.

I know I can get all tags in the column view, but till now I didn't
become friend with it.  And with my GNU Emacs from CVS (yesterday
evening) and a git org-mode of the same time, I get a really awkward and
buggy column view [1].

Bye,
Tassilo
__________
[1] http://www.tsdh.de/~heimdall/org-column.png

* Re: All tags in agenda and bug in column view (maybe an emacs bug)
@ 2008-11-27 15:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-27 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tassilo,

you can of course look at all tags of a specific line
interactively with "T".

But I guess this is not what you had in mind.

This looks like a great feature to me, also in view of
the tag filtering that we can now do in the agenda, and
that appears a bit magic with hidden, inherited tags.

So I have implemented your request, subject to the variable
`org-agenda-show-inherited-tags' (for now I have set the
default to t, lets see how many complaints we get....)

Thanks for another great idea.

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-27 16:19   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-27 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hey Carsten,

> you can of course look at all tags of a specific line interactively
> with "T".

Ah, yes, I remember.  But I'd like it straight in the face. :-)

> This looks like a great feature to me, also in view of the tag
> filtering that we can now do in the agenda, and that appears a bit
> magic with hidden, inherited tags.
>
> So I have implemented your request, subject to the variable
> `org-agenda-show-inherited-tags' (for now I have set the default to t,
> lets see how many complaints we get....)

Nice, thanks a ton.

Do you have some comments according my garbled column view?  (Not that I
need it any longer now...)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: All tags in agenda and bug in column view (maybe an emacs bug)
@ 2008-11-27 16:29     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-27 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Replying myself:

> Do you have some comments according my garbled column view?

I get a correct column view if I start emacs as "emacs".  Usually it's
started by a system service with "emacs --daemon".  Then there's no
initial frame, and I guess somewhere you try to gather the correct face
and font width from a frame parameter or something like that.

I had such problems before, but then emacs would simply stop loading my
~/.emacs from the point it encounters a call to frame-parameter.  So
here it must be something in that direction which won't error/fail but
simply return strange values (e.g. the columns aren't garbled, but a
micro-tiny font size is used).

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Re: All tags in agenda and bug in column view (maybe an emacs bug)
@ 2008-11-30 19:02       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-30 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tassilo,

how do you load org-mode in .emacs?  Maybe things will work
better if you load it only when there is a frame.  So don't do
(require 'org), but only (require 'org-install), so that the lisp
files will only be loaded when the first buffer is opened?

Column view gets font sizes from the "default" font,
to make sure that this is always the same.  If that font is not
defined, you are in trouble.

I have never heard about emacs --deamon, what does it do, do
you have a link to a manpage or so?

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-30 20:37         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-30 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hi Carsten,

> how do you load org-mode in .emacs?  Maybe things will work better if
> you load it only when there is a frame.  So don't do (require 'org),
> but only (require 'org-install),

That's what I do.

> so that the lisp files will only be loaded when the first buffer is
> opened?

Yes, but I have (org-agenda-list) in my .emacs, so that I'm greeted with
the tasks for that day when emacs starts up.  But with --daemon that's
senseless anyway.  I'll take it out and most probably it'll work than.

Thanks for the pointer.

> I have never heard about emacs --deamon, what does it do, do you have
> a link to a manpage or so?

That's a quite new feature in emacs from CVS.

,----[ (info "(emacs)Emacs Server") ]

`----

@ 2008-12-01 16:11           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-01 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tassilo,

thanks for the info about the emacs deamon.

- Carsten