emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Using MobileOrg without sync?
@ 2011-07-12 20:12 Steinar Bang
  2011-07-12 20:29 ` Tassilo Horn
  2011-07-13 11:47 ` Konrad Hinsen
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-07-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I installed MobileOrg on an HTC desire.  The idea was to just use it to
take notes, no sync to an emacs with org-mode would be needed.

But I can't figure out how to skip the sync configuration menu.

All of the documentation I find when searching, is about syncing with
org-mode. 

Isn't it possible to use MobileOrg without sync?

Thanks!


- Steinar

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
  2011-07-12 20:12 Using MobileOrg without sync? Steinar Bang
@ 2011-07-12 20:29 ` Tassilo Horn
  2011-07-13  9:22   ` Steinar Bang
  2011-07-13 11:47 ` Konrad Hinsen
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

Hi Steinar,

> I installed MobileOrg on an HTC desire.  The idea was to just use it
> to take notes, no sync to an emacs with org-mode would be needed.
>
> Isn't it possible to use MobileOrg without sync?

Not sure, but MobileOrg (at least on Android) is not very sophisticated
for note taking.  For sure, it's not a stand-alone org-mode for Android
as you might have expected.

For example, there's no widget ("activity" in andro-speak) to input
timestamps and stuff like that.  I use it, but mainly for viewing my
agendas pushed from org-mode and for capturing quick and ugly notes,
which I format correctly, timestamp, tag, and refile after pulling them
to my emacs.

So I see no reason to use MobileOrg if you don't want to interact with
org-mode.  Probably, you'd be better off with a plain text editor (Jota
Text Editor is quite good and free software).

Bye,
Tassilo

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
  2011-07-12 20:29 ` Tassilo Horn
@ 2011-07-13  9:22   ` Steinar Bang
  2011-07-14 13:50     ` Pieter Praet
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-07-13  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>>>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>:

> Not sure, but MobileOrg (at least on Android) is not very
> sophisticated for note taking.  For sure, it's not a stand-alone
> org-mode for Android as you might have expected.

Ah, ok.  It looked like it might be, from the screen shots.

> For example, there's no widget ("activity" in andro-speak) to input
> timestamps and stuff like that.  I use it, but mainly for viewing my
> agendas pushed from org-mode and for capturing quick and ugly notes,
> which I format correctly, timestamp, tag, and refile after pulling
> them to my emacs.

Ok.  Looks like something I will try at some point in time, but not
right now.

> So I see no reason to use MobileOrg if you don't want to interact with
> org-mode.  Probably, you'd be better off with a plain text editor (Jota
> Text Editor is quite good and free software).

Thanks for the tip!

So far, I have installed, but not yet tried:
 Evernote
  http://gizmodo.com/5427595/evernote-the-android-note-app-you-need-is-here

 AK Notepad
  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.akproduction.notepad

 GDocs (notepad synking with google docs)
  http://sites.google.com/site/gdocsforandroid/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
  2011-07-12 20:12 Using MobileOrg without sync? Steinar Bang
  2011-07-12 20:29 ` Tassilo Horn
@ 2011-07-13 11:47 ` Konrad Hinsen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2011-07-13 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steinar Bang, Org Mode Mailing List

On 12 Jul 2011, at 22:12, Steinar Bang wrote:

> I installed MobileOrg on an HTC desire.  The idea was to just use it  
> to
> take notes, no sync to an emacs with org-mode would be needed.

What's the point of MobileOrg then? There are dozens of note-taking  
apps for Android that do a better job than MobileOrg for note taking.  
Personally I use Epistle, which syncs with Dropbox, yielding plain- 
text files on my desktop that I can access from Emacs.

Konrad.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
  2011-07-13  9:22   ` Steinar Bang
@ 2011-07-14 13:50     ` Pieter Praet
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-07-14 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steinar Bang, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:22:53 +0200, Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:
> >>>>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>:
> 
> > Not sure, but MobileOrg (at least on Android) is not very
> > sophisticated for note taking.  For sure, it's not a stand-alone
> > org-mode for Android as you might have expected.
> 
> Ah, ok.  It looked like it might be, from the screen shots.
> 
> > For example, there's no widget ("activity" in andro-speak) to input
> > timestamps and stuff like that.  I use it, but mainly for viewing my
> > agendas pushed from org-mode and for capturing quick and ugly notes,
> > which I format correctly, timestamp, tag, and refile after pulling
> > them to my emacs.
> 
> Ok.  Looks like something I will try at some point in time, but not
> right now.
> 
> > So I see no reason to use MobileOrg if you don't want to interact with
> > org-mode.  Probably, you'd be better off with a plain text editor (Jota
> > Text Editor is quite good and free software).
> 
> Thanks for the tip!
> 
> So far, I have installed, but not yet tried:
>  Evernote
>   http://gizmodo.com/5427595/evernote-the-android-note-app-you-need-is-here
> 
>  AK Notepad
>   https://market.android.com/details?id=com.akproduction.notepad
> 
>  GDocs (notepad synking with google docs)
>   http://sites.google.com/site/gdocsforandroid/

Also a good candidate:
- http://code.google.com/p/android-shuffle/


Peace

-- 
Pieter

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-07-14 13:50 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-07-12 20:12 Using MobileOrg without sync? Steinar Bang
2011-07-12 20:29 ` Tassilo Horn
2011-07-13  9:22   ` Steinar Bang
2011-07-14 13:50     ` Pieter Praet
2011-07-13 11:47 ` Konrad Hinsen

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).