* Using MobileOrg without sync?
@ 2011-07-12 20:12 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-07-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I installed MobileOrg on an HTC desire.  The idea was to just use it to
take notes, no sync to an emacs with org-mode would be needed.

But I can't figure out how to skip the sync configuration menu.

All of the documentation I find when searching, is about syncing with
org-mode.

Isn't it possible to use MobileOrg without sync?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
@ 2011-07-12 20:29 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-07-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

Hi Steinar,

> I installed MobileOrg on an HTC desire.  The idea was to just use it
> to take notes, no sync to an emacs with org-mode would be needed.
>
> Isn't it possible to use MobileOrg without sync?

Not sure, but MobileOrg (at least on Android) is not very sophisticated
for note taking.  For sure, it's not a stand-alone org-mode for Android
as you might have expected.

For example, there's no widget ("activity" in andro-speak) to input
timestamps and stuff like that.  I use it, but mainly for viewing my
agendas pushed from org-mode and for capturing quick and ugly notes,
which I format correctly, timestamp, tag, and refile after pulling them
to my emacs.

So I see no reason to use MobileOrg if you don't want to interact with
org-mode.  Probably, you'd be better off with a plain text editor (Jota
Text Editor is quite good and free software).

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
@ 2011-07-13  9:22   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-07-13  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Not sure, but MobileOrg (at least on Android) is not very
> sophisticated for note taking.  For sure, it's not a stand-alone
> org-mode for Android as you might have expected.

Ah, ok.  It looked like it might be, from the screen shots.

> For example, there's no widget ("activity" in andro-speak) to input
> timestamps and stuff like that.  I use it, but mainly for viewing my
> agendas pushed from org-mode and for capturing quick and ugly notes,
> which I format correctly, timestamp, tag, and refile after pulling
> them to my emacs.

Ok.  Looks like something I will try at some point in time, but not
right now.

> So I see no reason to use MobileOrg if you don't want to interact with
> org-mode.  Probably, you'd be better off with a plain text editor (Jota
> Text Editor is quite good and free software).

Thanks for the tip!

So far, I have installed, but not yet tried:
 Evernote
  http://gizmodo.com/5427595/evernote-the-android-note-app-you-need-is-here

 AK Notepad
  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.akproduction.notepad

 GDocs (notepad synking with google docs)
  http://sites.google.com/site/gdocsforandroid/

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
@ 2011-07-13 11:47 ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2011-07-13 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Jul 2011, at 22:12, Steinar Bang wrote:

> I installed MobileOrg on an HTC desire.  The idea was to just use it
> take notes, no sync to an emacs with org-mode would be needed.

What's the point of MobileOrg then? There are dozens of note-taking
apps for Android that do a better job than MobileOrg for note taking.
Personally I use Epistle, which syncs with Dropbox, yielding plain-
text files on my desktop that I can access from Emacs.

Konrad.

* Re: Using MobileOrg without sync?
@ 2011-07-14 13:50     ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-07-14 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steinar Bang, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:22:53 +0200, Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

> > Not sure, but MobileOrg (at least on Android) is not very
> > sophisticated for note taking.  For sure, it's not a stand-alone
> > org-mode for Android as you might have expected.
>
> Ah, ok.  It looked like it might be, from the screen shots.
>
> > For example, there's no widget ("activity" in andro-speak) to input
> > timestamps and stuff like that.  I use it, but mainly for viewing my
> > agendas pushed from org-mode and for capturing quick and ugly notes,
> > which I format correctly, timestamp, tag, and refile after pulling
> > them to my emacs.
>
> Ok.  Looks like something I will try at some point in time, but not
> right now.
>
> > So I see no reason to use MobileOrg if you don't want to interact with
> > org-mode.  Probably, you'd be better off with a plain text editor (Jota
> > Text Editor is quite good and free software).
>
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> So far, I have installed, but not yet tried:
>  Evernote
>   http://gizmodo.com/5427595/evernote-the-android-note-app-you-need-is-here
>
>  AK Notepad
>   https://market.android.com/details?id=com.akproduction.notepad
>
>  GDocs (notepad synking with google docs)
>   http://sites.google.com/site/gdocsforandroid/

Also a good candidate:
- http://code.google.com/p/android-shuffle/

Peace