* [babel] FEATURE REQUEST: send results into file
@ 2010-09-29  8:58 Rainer M Krug
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-29  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

Based on a discussion in the thread "Problem with PROPERTIES :OPTIONS: when
exporting subtree", The idea came ub by Mathew Lundin to be able to "send
the results or a source code block (either executed code or exported org
snippets) via babel to a target in an external file.".

The scenario or context in which the idea came up:

I am using org babel for literate programming and I document my parameters
for simulations in a table in org. Now when writing a paper, for which I use
a different program (I use LyX), but I still would like to include the
tables from my original org file in them. Therefore I was looking for a
possibility to export ONLY the table into a .tex file, so that it can be
included in the LyX / LaTeX via \input{theTable.tex} . Therefore I would
need an export of the table in LaTeX format, but no preamble or anything. As
far as I was told, this possibility does not exist in org.

So Mathew's / my question is if it would be possible to include a
functionality to "send the results or a source code block (either executed
code or exported org snippets) via babel to a target in an external file.".

Cheers,

Rainer

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)321 2125 2244
email:          Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         R.M.Krug@gmail.com

* Re: [babel] FEATURE REQUEST: send results into file
@ 2010-09-29  9:21 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-29  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Based on a discussion in the thread "Problem with PROPERTIES :OPTIONS: when
> exporting subtree", The idea came ub by Mathew Lundin to be able to "send
> the results or a source code block (either executed code or exported org
> snippets) via babel to a target in an external file.".
>
> The scenario or context in which the idea came up:
>
> I am using org babel for literate programming and I document my parameters
> for simulations in a table in org. Now when writing a paper, for which I use
> a different program (I use LyX), but I still would like to include the
> tables from my original org file in them. Therefore I was looking for a
> possibility to export ONLY the table into a .tex file, so that it can be
> included in the LyX / LaTeX via \input{theTable.tex} . Therefore I would
> need an export of the table in LaTeX format, but no preamble or anything.

*Side question*, because this is quite important, I think: why are you still
using LyX directly?

For my literate programming needs, I've been able to completely forget about
my past ways to do:

- Nuweb (in MS Windows) extensions to LaTeX
- Noweb (in Linux) extensions to LaTeX

and switch, with much more benefits, to Org-only files. What is stopping you
from being able to do so?  That root cause should be fixed, IMHO -- if doable,
of course...

> As far as I was told, this possibility does not exist in org.

If I understand correctly, this is, indeed, the difficulty Eric exposed us,
when I was working on the isodoc letter (trying to convert Org blocks to
LaTeX, and get everything assembled upon exporting).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: [babel] FEATURE REQUEST: send results into file
@ 2010-09-29 10:24   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-29 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2010/9/29 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Based on a discussion in the thread "Problem with PROPERTIES :OPTIONS:
> when
> > exporting subtree", The idea came ub by Mathew Lundin to be able to "send
> > the results or a source code block (either executed code or exported org
> > snippets) via babel to a target in an external file.".
> >
> > The scenario or context in which the idea came up:
> >
> > I am using org babel for literate programming and I document my
> parameters
> > for simulations in a table in org. Now when writing a paper, for which I
> use
> > a different program (I use LyX), but I still would like to include the
> > tables from my original org file in them. Therefore I was looking for a
> > possibility to export ONLY the table into a .tex file, so that it can be
> > included in the LyX / LaTeX via \input{theTable.tex} . Therefore I would
> > need an export of the table in LaTeX format, but no preamble or anything.
>
> *Side question*, because this is quite important, I think: why are you
> still
> using LyX directly?

Because it is easier for me? Don't get me wrong - I really like org mode and
org babel - I can not imagine working without them (wait - I did that until
about a year ago...). But for writing papers for publication, other tools
are more suitable FOR ME: These papers do not include any literate
programming and no to be executed code, and I really like the interface of
LyX for writing. More even then a text editor for LaTeX (however advanced or
not it may be), it does what it is supposed to be doing: to let me
concentrate on the contents of the paper. But as I said, that is my personal
opinion, and others might prefer other approaches.

> For my literate programming needs, I've been able to completely forget
> about
> my past ways to do:
>
> - Nuweb (in MS Windows) extensions to LaTeX
> - Noweb (in Linux) extensions to LaTeX
>
> and switch, with much more benefits, to Org-only files.

Yes - concerning programming, literate programming, documenting the source
code, etc., org mode with org-babel is PERFECT.

> What is stopping you from being able to do so?

As I said - org is getting close to being a swiss army knife, but I tried to
open a bottle with it and my screen broke - so I still use a bottle opener
for that...

> That root cause should be fixed, IMHO -- if doable, of course...
>

> > As far as I was told, this possibility does not exist in org.
>
> If I understand correctly, this is, indeed, the difficulty Eric exposed us,
> when I was working on the isodoc letter (trying to convert Org blocks to
> LaTeX, and get everything assembled upon exporting).

Effectively, yes - except that the org block converted to LaTeX should be
available in files, which can be used from other programs as well.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2010-09-29 10:59     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rainer,

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> 2010/9/29 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org>
>> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> *Side question*, because this is quite important, I think: why are you
>> still using LyX directly?
>
> Because it is easier for me? Don't get me wrong - I really like org mode and
> org babel - I can not imagine working without them (wait - I did that until
> about a year ago...). But for writing papers for publication, other tools
> are more suitable FOR ME: These papers do not include any literate
> programming and no to be executed code, and I really like the interface of
> LyX for writing. More even then a text editor for LaTeX (however advanced or
> not it may be), it does what it is supposed to be doing: to let me
> concentrate on the contents of the paper.

On concentrating on the contents, I find it easier to (as someone to) read:

Because:
- reason 1
- and reason 2

than:

Because:
\begin{itemize}
\item reason 1
\item and reason 2
\end{itemize}

Same for tables...

That's why I now hate going back to LaTeX. But, I know, habits can be hard to
change.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-09-29 11:54       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-09-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2010/9/29 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>

> Rainer,
>
> Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > 2010/9/29 Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com>
> >> Rainer M Krug wrote:
> >> *Side question*, because this is quite important, I think: why are you
> >> still using LyX directly?
> >
> > Because it is easier for me? Don't get me wrong - I really like org mode
> and
> > org babel - I can not imagine working without them (wait - I did that
> until
> > about a year ago...). But for writing papers for publication, other tools
> > are more suitable FOR ME: These papers do not include any literate
> > programming and no to be executed code, and I really like the interface
> of
> > LyX for writing. More even then a text editor for LaTeX (however advanced
> or
> > not it may be), it does what it is supposed to be doing: to let me
> > concentrate on the contents of the paper.
>
> On concentrating on the contents, I find it easier to (as someone to) read:

> Because:
> - reason 1
> - and reason 2
>
> than:

> Because:
> \begin{itemize}
> \item reason 1
> \item and reason 2
> \end{itemize}

Absolutely - and that is why I am using LyX and not LaTeX: in these regards
a LITTLE bit like WYSIWYG, but within the complete LaTeX power and not with
"painting" layouts like in word.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2010-09-29 15:53 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

I'm not sure that code blocks are the solution for this particular
problem.  The following simple function should do what you want.

(defun schulte/current-table-to-tex (file)
  "Export the current table as latex to FILE."
  (interactive "F")
  ((lambda (tex-table) (with-temp-file file (insert tex-table)))
   (org-export-region-as-latex (org-table-begin) (org-table-end) t 'string)))

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-09-29 16:02 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-09-29 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Rainer,

Perhaps this will work?  Eric Schulte wrote a function to make a LaTeX
table out of an Org-mode table.  You should be able to call it from
within a LaTeX source block that tangles to a suitably named file.
There is an added benefit in the support for booktabs rules, so you'll
need to have the booktabs package installed.

hth,
Tom

@ 2010-09-29 16:22   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-29 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Aloha Rainer,
>
> Perhaps this will work?  Eric Schulte wrote a function to make a LaTeX
> table out of an Org-mode table.

Ah, thanks for suggesting this Tom, I'd forgotten about that function.

If you'll indulge me, I'd like to expound upon the library of babel
(lob) as I sometimes feel that it is underutilized among Babel features.
The function below is distributed in the lob in the contrib directory of
Org-mode, and by putting something like

(org-babel-lob-ingest "~/src/org/contrib/babel/library-of-babel.org")

into your Emacs initialization all of the many library of Babel
functions -- I'd recommend browsing the file as there are some
interesting functions -- will be available from any Org-mode file to be
called using call lines

#+call: booktabs(table=...)

or executable noweb references in source blocks as Tom suggests below.
This file lives in the contrib directory to ease the process of adding
user-contributed functions without the authors having to go through the
Emacs assignment process.

Best -- Eric