* Installing/updating org on the mac woes
@ 2010-07-22 18:30 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-22 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

The current make install doesn't work for installing org on the mac. I
wanted to update to version 7 but emacs still loads version 6.33x. The
install task is copying files to /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/.
What should in order to make emacs load from it ? (It seems Emacs.app
has org mode built in into the bundle).

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Installing/updating org on the mac woes
@ 2010-07-22 18:34 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-22 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Ops, forgot the question:

Any ideas on how I could fix it?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> The current make install doesn't work for installing org on the mac. I
> wanted to update to version 7 but emacs still loads version 6.33x. The
> install task is copying files to /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/.
> What should in order to make emacs load from it ? (It seems Emacs.app
> has org mode built in into the bundle).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: Re: Installing/updating org on the mac woes
@ 2010-07-22 18:46   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

Ensuring that the path to the latest Org-mode is on the front of your
load path *before* you require org-install.  The following should work

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/")
(require 'org-install)

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-07-22 18:48     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks Eric,

I've done it and I'm getting a confusing output from org-version:

Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.01g.20.gdd484)

It seems it has updated, but it shows 6.33x as version and between
paranthesis it shows release 7.01. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2010-07-22 19:06   ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-22 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

This is what I do.

I use emacs 24 (downloaded from emacsformacosx.com), not aquamacs
emacs.

I make a local copy of Makefile with the following changes to the header:

  ##----------------------------------------------------------------------
  ##  YOU MUST EDIT THE FOLLOWING LINES
  ##----------------------------------------------------------------------

  # Name of your emacs binary
  EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

  # Where local software is found
  prefix=/Applications/Emacs.app

  # Where local lisp files go.
  lispdir = $(prefix)/Contents/Resources/lisp/org

  # Where info files go.
  infodir = $(prefix)/Contents/Resources/info

So I compile using this makefile:

  make -f my_makefile clean
  make -f my_makefile
  make -f my_makefile doc
  sudo make -f my_makefile install

The bad thing is that I have to update this makefile every time a new
version comes from the git repo. This happens with enough low
frequency as to avoid me finding a better way.

Regards,
.j.

* Re: Re: Installing/updating org on the mac woes
@ 2010-07-22 19:07     ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-22 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks. What's the output of M-x org-version for you ?

Marcelol.

@ 2010-07-22 19:30       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

I get the following output from org-version

Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01g.21.g8bda0)

I agree it's upsetting that you are getting 6.33 for your main
org-version.  This value actually comes from the `org-version' variable,
so I'd recommend looking at this variable with the `describe-variable'
function (bound to C-h v).  From the variable page you can jump to the
source-code defining this variable in org.el, you can then do C-x C-f to
find out the directory in which org.el is located and therefore which
org-mode is being loaded.

If you're still loading org from an old directory you could try removing
that directory from your load-path *before* you require org-install.

Hope this helps.  Best -- Eric

@ 2010-07-22 20:33         ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2010-07-22 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

Ah, it is still loading org from the Emacs.app application bundle:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org.el.gz. I had
to remove  the /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org
directory and then it loaded my other updated copy.

Marcelo.

@ 2010-07-22 23:41       ` Juan
From: Juan @ 2010-07-22 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:07:47PM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Thanks. What's the output of M-x org-version for you ?

7.01 trans.

.j.

* Re: Re: Installing/updating org on the mac woes
@ 2010-07-23  5:38     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-07-23  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan; +Cc: Org Mode