* question about agendas
@ 2011-03-31 18:39 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-03-31 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I'm looking to customize how some agenda commands work.
The simple example I'm working on is combining changing a task's
priority AND refreshing the agenda.

What I'd normally do is:
1. cursor to the task of interest,
2. change its priority,
3. refresh the agenda.

After step 3, the cursor remains where it was in step 2.  That's fine.

Then I rebind , in org-agenda-mode-map to this:
(defun org-fas-agenda-priority (&optional p)
  "Change the priority of the current item, then refresh agenda."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (if (org-agenda-priority p)
	(org-agenda-redo))))

When this function runs, it does exactly what I want it to do.

BUT the cursor jumps to row one of the agenda buffer.

Can anyone suggest a cause and a fix?

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

* Re: question about agendas
@ 2011-03-31 18:51 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-31 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Filippo A. Salustri <salustri@ryerson.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm looking to customize how some agenda commands work.
> The simple example I'm working on is combining changing a task's
> priority AND refreshing the agenda.
>
> What I'd normally do is:
> 1. cursor to the task of interest,
> 2. change its priority,
> 3. refresh the agenda.
>
> After step 3, the cursor remains where it was in step 2.  That's fine.
>
> Then I rebind , in org-agenda-mode-map to this:
> (defun org-fas-agenda-priority (&optional p)
>   "Change the priority of the current item, then refresh agenda."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (if (org-agenda-priority p)
> 	(org-agenda-redo))))
>
> When this function runs, it does exactly what I want it to do.
>
> BUT the cursor jumps to row one of the agenda buffer.
>
> Can anyone suggest a cause and a fix?

I don't understand it yet, but can you try without the save-excursion
and see if it does what you want?

Nick

* Re: question about agendas
@ 2011-03-31 18:58   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-03-31 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'd actually started with a similar wrapper for org-priority, and the
save-excursion was needed because the org-agenda-redo would punt me
into the agenda from whatever other buffer I was in.

I carried the save-excursion into the agenda version of the function
because I thought it couldn't hurt.

Apparently it does.

Removing the save-excursion from the defun below fixes the cursor problem.
...could it be because the excursion is saved before the agenda buffer
is rebuilt?

Anyways, it's fixed, so I'm happy.
Thanks!
Cheers.