* MobileOrg now in the Android market
@ 2010-09-03 19:14 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-09-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi to all

I'm sorry, Matt, that I always anticipate you to announce the progress
of your work. But I'm so happy to have noticed some minutes ago that
MobileOrg is now in the market.

Thank you very much! Top rating of course.

Sven

p.s. NEXT and other non-standard TODO keywords are not displayed
as they should (not highlighted).

* Re: MobileOrg now in the Android market
@ 2010-09-03 20:25 ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-09-03 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hey Sven and list, getting MobileOrg into the Android market is part of the
last push to releasing the first Beta version.

There are two last things that I'm doing to achieve beta status:

1) Implement the Dropbox and SDCard synchronizers
2) Support changing TODO states and editing existing notes.

I have had a lot of people contributing patches, most notably is Adam Marek
(amarek) who has really cleaned up my Synchronizer and File Parsing system.
 His work abstracting my synchronization system is what is going to allow us
to support syncing org files from a variety of different places.   He did
this as part of his work for implementing an SVN synchronizer (really cool,
can't wait for him to finish this).

One thing that Adam has finished that I have imported into the Market
version of MobileOrg is support for encrypted org files via Android Privacy
Guard (APG:  http://www.thialfihar.org/projects/apg/).   I haven't had a
chance to use this yet so if anyone wants to give it a whirl then let me
know how it goes.

Paul Bonser (pib) contributed a lot of really great bug fixes and cleanup
code, Jonathan Arkell contributed a new much nicer looking logo,  John Ogle
helped me out with some error reporting to the user (I was just throwing
exceptions everywhere), Torsten Wagner contributed the localization changes
(along with German translations).

This weekend I'm going to complete #2 and part of #1 that I listed above.
Regarding point #1 I will definitely have the SDCard synchronizer
finished... this will allow you to synchronize your org files directly from
your phone (if you are someone who wants to manually place the files on your
phone).   This should also allow those of you who use Dropbox to use the
Dropbox Android application to pull your org files to your phone and then
synchronize using the SDCard synchronizer.   This will be a good placeholder
until I can implement the Dropbox API directly (which will involve those
guys evaluating my application to make sure I'm using it correctly... and
I'm not sure how long that will take).

It's going to be a busy weekend for me wrapping up these changes.   I'm now
open to taking bug reports on the Github page (come one, come all) and new
feature requests (please use the "Feature" tag).  So you can expect 0.5beta
to be released on Monday or Tuesday.

One last thing to note, I'm having to drop support for Android 1.5, if this
is a problem for anyone then please drop me an email... one person has
already informed me that they can't find it in the market because of this so
I'm planning on building a development version for those of you running this
older version of the OS.

Normally I would post something this big right away but I wanted to make
sure everything was working fine (this is my first app on the market) before
taking the plunge.   So no worries, Sven, I'm glad you noticed so quickly :)

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-09-04  7:35   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-09-04  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Matthew Jones <bsdmatburt@gmail.com> writes:

> This should also allow those of you who use Dropbox to use the Dropbox
> Android application to pull your org files to your phone and then
> synchronize using the SDCard synchronizer.   This will be a good
> placeholder until I can implement the Dropbox API directly (which will
> involve those guys evaluating my application to make sure I'm using it
> correctly... and I'm not sure how long that will take).

I'm using Dropbox since a while now. There is an issue with the Android
client that could also affect MobileOrg. The Android client only
supports certain filetypes. For example, I could never figure out how to
open a Dropbox-controlled LaTeX file with VerbTeX (AFAIK the only TeX
editor available in the Market). That neither works if the file is
accessed via the Dropbox client, nor have I figured out how to drop the
file to the SDcard. There is no way to configure Dropbox's filetype
associations on the user side. So, I think support for org files has to
be implemented by the Dropbox developers.

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: MobileOrg now in the Android market
@ 2010-09-04  7:37   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-09-04  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: emacs-org

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:25:40 -0400, Matthew Jones <bsdmatburt@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> One last thing to note, I'm having to drop support for Android 1.5, if this
> is a problem for anyone then please drop me an email... one person has
> already informed me that they can't find it in the market because of this so
> I'm planning on building a development version for those of you running this
> older version of the OS.

Matthew,

I have been waiting very eagerly for updates to MobileOrg for Android.
However, I'm one of those that uses Android 1.5 [1].  I don't want to
impede development of MobileOrg but anything you can do for us with
1.5 to not exclude us completely would be very welcome.

Thanks,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  on a Samsung Galaxy Portal with T-mobile and neither Samsung nor
     T-mobile seem to really give a **** about providing an upgrade
     path to 1.6, much less 2.x.  Very annoying.  There are unapproved
     routes to upgrading but I'm not desperate enough yet to try these
     out (I do *use* my phone... :-).

Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: MobileOrg now in the Android market
@ 2010-09-08  0:37     ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-09-08  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-org

I am another Android 1.5 user (Mororla Quench) hoping that its OS be
upgraded but ...

In the meantime I would like very much to use MobileOrg for Android
but, as Eric Fraga said, I also don't want to impede development of
MobileOrg.

Daniel