* Footnotes in headings results in strange entries in the table of contens of the latex -> pdf export
@ 2010-02-19 14:40 Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2010-02-19 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

if I put a footnote in a heading and export to pdf via C-c C-e d the
table of contents entry for that heading is garbled. As an example
consider the following minimal org-file:
* This is a simple heading [fn:1]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] A footnote

And here's what I get in the pdf (copy 'n pasted from evince, so it's
not pretty but still readable):

                            test
Contents
1section.1
                                 1
1     This is a simple heading
   1
     A footnote

As you can see the entry in the table of contents does not name the
heading but "1section.1". I'm using Emacs 23.1 and the Org-mode
version shipped with it. Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks,
Geralt.

* Re: Footnotes in headings results in strange entries in the table of contens of the latex -> pdf export
@ 2010-02-20 13:39 ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2010-02-20 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I tracked down the problem to latex itself, the generated code looks like this:
\section{This is a simple heading \footnote{A footnote }}
\label{sec-1}

But to get a correct table of contents entry when a section title
contains a footnote it should look like this:

\section[This is a simple heading]{This is a simple heading
\footnote{A footnote }}
\label{sec-1}

The solution was not found by me, I took it from
http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=243820

But I don't want to edit the tex-file manually, how can I fix the
renderer? I looked into it but I don't really understand how the
export (and the latex backend) do their work.

Geralt.

* Re: Re: Footnotes in headings results in strange entries in the table of contens of the latex -> pdf export
@ 2010-02-23  6:31   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-23  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geralt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gerald,

the LaTeX exporter does indeed have some problems with footnotes in
headlines.

I have now fixed it so that the footnote will be preceded by \protect,
which already makes things nicer.  However, to use the format you
propose (which is good LaTeX), Org would have to know which macros
exactly work like that.  For example, headlines from Org-mode
sometimes get transformed into \item blocks, where an optional
argument would have completely different effects.

A way out for you would be to add a function to `org-export-latex-
final-hook' which would go through, find and fix the corresponding
headlines.

If you make a good solutions, please share it - I might want to use it
in Org after all.

- Carsten

On Feb 20, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Geralt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tracked down the problem to latex itself, the generated code looks
> like this:
> \section{This is a simple heading \footnote{A footnote }}
> \label{sec-1}
>
> But to get a correct table of contents entry when a section title
> contains a footnote it should look like this:
>
> \section[This is a simple heading]{This is a simple heading
> \footnote{A footnote }}
> \label{sec-1}
>

> The solution was not found by me, I took it from
> http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=243820
>

> But I don't want to edit the tex-file manually, how can I fix the
> renderer? I looked into it but I don't really understand how the
> export (and the latex backend) do their work.
>

> Geralt.

- Carsten