* Tag Inheritance
@ 2007-05-30 13:34 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2007-05-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I understand from the example in the manual that sublevels inherit the
parent's tags:

* One			:Top:
** Two			:Middle:
*** Three		:Bottom:

So "Three" matches Top, Middle, and Bottom.

What I'm confused with is that I may have multiple headings, and all
headings at the same level seem to be inheriting across the same level.

* Major heading
** Item One		:DEV:
** Item Two		:PROD:
** Item Three		:DEV:
** Item Four		:PROD:

I search (C-u C-c \), and match DEV, and I get all four Items
returned.

I search again, and match PROD, and I get Items Two through Four, but
not One.

This looks inconsistent to me. Can someone verify?

I'm using org-4.74 with emacs 21.4.1.

Thanks.

* Re: Tag Inheritance
@ 2007-05-30 14:14 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-30 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Please take a look at the variable `org-show-following-heading'.

This is now really a frequently asked question - I am wondering if I
should
change the default of this option....

- Carsten

On May 30, 2007, at 15:34, Russell Adams wrote:

> I understand from the example in the manual that sublevels inherit the
> parent's tags:
>
> * One			:Top:
> ** Two			:Middle:
> *** Three		:Bottom:
>
> So "Three" matches Top, Middle, and Bottom.
>
> What I'm confused with is that I may have multiple headings, and all
> headings at the same level seem to be inheriting across the same level.
>
> * Major heading
> ** Item One		:DEV:
> ** Item Two		:PROD:
> ** Item Three		:DEV:
> ** Item Four		:PROD:
>

> I search (C-u C-c \), and match DEV, and I get all four Items
> returned.
>
> I search again, and match PROD, and I get Items Two through Four, but
> not One.
>
> This looks inconsistent to me. Can someone verify?
>
> I'm using org-4.74 with emacs 21.4.1.
>
> Thanks.

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Tag Inheritance
@ 2007-05-30 14:21   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-05-30 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Russell Adams, emacs-orgmode

    I was thinking the same thing.  (Sadly I didn't know the option of
the top of my head and had to search the .el file to try and find it.)
 Would there be any way to differentiate the matched heading from the
surrounding context?  In regular GUIs I'd say grey of the context, but
that doesn't work well.  Highlighting the match would be more
emacs-ish.

Edd

On 5/30/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Please take a look at the variable `org-show-following-heading'.
>
> This is now really a frequently asked question - I am wondering if I
> should
> change the default of this option....
>
> - Carsten
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 15:34, Russell Adams wrote:
>
> > I understand from the example in the manual that sublevels inherit the
> > parent's tags:
> >
> > * One                 :Top:
> > ** Two                        :Middle:
> > *** Three             :Bottom:
> >
> > So "Three" matches Top, Middle, and Bottom.
> >
> > What I'm confused with is that I may have multiple headings, and all
> > headings at the same level seem to be inheriting across the same level.
> >
> > * Major heading
> > ** Item One           :DEV:
> > ** Item Two           :PROD:
> > ** Item Three         :DEV:
> > ** Item Four          :PROD:
> >

> > I search (C-u C-c \), and match DEV, and I get all four Items
> > returned.
> >
> > I search again, and match PROD, and I get Items Two through Four, but
> > not One.
> >
> > This looks inconsistent to me. Can someone verify?
> >
> > I'm using org-4.74 with emacs 21.4.1.
> >
> > Thanks.

> > Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
> >
> > PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
> >
> > Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

> Carsten Dominik
> Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"
> Universiteit van Amsterdam
> Kruislaan 403
> NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
> phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Tag Inheritance
@ 2007-05-30 14:33     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-30 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: Russell Adams, emacs-orgmode

On May 30, 2007, at 16:21, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

>    I was thinking the same thing.  (Sadly I didn't know the option of
> the top of my head and had to search the .el file to try and find it.)
> Would there be any way to differentiate the matched heading from the
> surrounding context?  In regular GUIs I'd say grey of the context, but
> that doesn't work well.  Highlighting the match would be more
> emacs-ish.

Normal sparse trees created with org-occur do highlight the match.
However, in tags searches, this is not the case.  I guess you are
right that this would be a way to avoid confusion.  But I still
think I might change the default.

Thanks

- Carsten

* Re: Tag Inheritance
@ 2007-05-30 15:48   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2007-05-30 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

You're absolutely correct.

Thanks.

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 04:14:10PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Please take a look at the variable `org-show-following-heading'.
>
> This is now really a frequently asked question - I am wondering if I
> should
> change the default of this option....
>
> - Carsten
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 15:34, Russell Adams wrote:
>
> >I understand from the example in the manual that sublevels inherit the
> >parent's tags:
> >
> >* One			:Top:
> >** Two			:Middle:
> >*** Three		:Bottom:
> >
> >So "Three" matches Top, Middle, and Bottom.
> >
> >What I'm confused with is that I may have multiple headings, and all
> >headings at the same level seem to be inheriting across the same level.
> >
> >* Major heading
> >** Item One		:DEV:
> >** Item Two		:PROD:
> >** Item Three		:DEV:
> >** Item Four		:PROD:
> >

> >I search (C-u C-c \), and match DEV, and I get all four Items
> >returned.
> >
> >I search again, and match PROD, and I get Items Two through Four, but
> >not One.
> >
> >This looks inconsistent to me. Can someone verify?
> >
> >I'm using org-4.74 with emacs 21.4.1.
> >
> >Thanks.

> >Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
> >
> >PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
> >
> >Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

> Carsten Dominik
> Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"
> Universiteit van Amsterdam
> Kruislaan 403
> NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
> phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Tag inheritance
@ 2007-12-12 15:32 Carl Bolduc
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2007-12-12 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

HI everyone,

I saw the demo of OmniFocus today and I decided to create a similar
setup using Org-Mode in Emacs.

The only thing that is left to setup is tag inheritance.

At the moment, if I set a tag only for the main heading of a section,
its subheading don't show up when I search for the tag. I would like
the subheading to show up when I search for a tag...

The documentation says:
...you can influence inheritance and searching using the variables
org-use-tag-inheritance and org-tags-match-list-sublevels

I'm still new to Org and Emacs, can someone help me setup those variables?

Thanks!
Carl

* Re: Tag inheritance
@ 2007-12-12 16:14 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-12-12 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Bolduc; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carl,

    There are gurus who might be able to provide a better answer, but
when I need to set option for org-mode (or when I want to explore what
is available) I use the menu "Org->Customize->Browse Org Group".  It's
been a while since I've done that and it looks like
"Org->Customize->Expand This Menu" is pretty nifty.  I may have the
name wrong, since it changes after you select it, but the expanded
customize menu looks very nice.

Edd

On Dec 12, 2007 9:32 AM, Carl Bolduc <drcurl@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI everyone,
>
> I saw the demo of OmniFocus today and I decided to create a similar
> setup using Org-Mode in Emacs.
>
> The only thing that is left to setup is tag inheritance.
>
> At the moment, if I set a tag only for the main heading of a section,
> its subheading don't show up when I search for the tag. I would like
> the subheading to show up when I search for a tag...
>
> The documentation says:
> ...you can influence inheritance and searching using the variables
> org-use-tag-inheritance and org-tags-match-list-sublevels
>
> I'm still new to Org and Emacs, can someone help me setup those variables?
>
> Thanks!
> Carl

* Re: Tag inheritance
@ 2007-12-12 16:24   ` Carl Bolduc
From: Carl Bolduc @ 2007-12-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ok, there is something I don't get, beause tag inheritance is ON, but
when I search for a tag, subheadings (not directly tagged) are not
showing up :(

On Dec 12, 2007 11:14 AM, Eddward DeVilla <eddward@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl,
>
>    There are gurus who might be able to provide a better answer, but
> when I need to set option for org-mode (or when I want to explore what
> is available) I use the menu "Org->Customize->Browse Org Group".  It's
> been a while since I've done that and it looks like
> "Org->Customize->Expand This Menu" is pretty nifty.  I may have the
> name wrong, since it changes after you select it, but the expanded
> customize menu looks very nice.
>
> Edd
>

> On Dec 12, 2007 9:32 AM, Carl Bolduc <drcurl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > HI everyone,
> >
> > I saw the demo of OmniFocus today and I decided to create a similar
> > setup using Org-Mode in Emacs.
> >
> > The only thing that is left to setup is tag inheritance.
> >
> > At the moment, if I set a tag only for the main heading of a section,
> > its subheading don't show up when I search for the tag. I would like
> > the subheading to show up when I search for a tag...
> >
> > The documentation says:
> > ...you can influence inheritance and searching using the variables
> > org-use-tag-inheritance and org-tags-match-list-sublevels
> >
> > I'm still new to Org and Emacs, can someone help me setup those variables?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Carl

* Re: Tag inheritance
@ 2007-12-12 16:29     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Bolduc; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode

If you take the time to read the docmentation string of that variable,
it points you to another one: `org-tags-match-list-sublevels'.

This is the one you need.

- Carsten

On Dec 12, 2007 5:24 PM, Carl Bolduc <drcurl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, there is something I don't get, beause tag inheritance is ON, but
> when I search for a tag, subheadings (not directly tagged) are not
> showing up :(
>

> On Dec 12, 2007 11:14 AM, Eddward DeVilla <eddward@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Carl,
> >
> >    There are gurus who might be able to provide a better answer, but
> > when I need to set option for org-mode (or when I want to explore what
> > is available) I use the menu "Org->Customize->Browse Org Group".  It's
> > been a while since I've done that and it looks like
> > "Org->Customize->Expand This Menu" is pretty nifty.  I may have the
> > name wrong, since it changes after you select it, but the expanded
> > customize menu looks very nice.
> >
> > Edd
> >

> > On Dec 12, 2007 9:32 AM, Carl Bolduc <drcurl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > HI everyone,
> > >
> > > I saw the demo of OmniFocus today and I decided to create a similar
> > > setup using Org-Mode in Emacs.
> > >
> > > The only thing that is left to setup is tag inheritance.
> > >
> > > At the moment, if I set a tag only for the main heading of a section,
> > > its subheading don't show up when I search for the tag. I would like
> > > the subheading to show up when I search for a tag...
> > >
> > > The documentation says:
> > > ...you can influence inheritance and searching using the variables
> > > org-use-tag-inheritance and org-tags-match-list-sublevels
> > >
> > > I'm still new to Org and Emacs, can someone help me setup those variables?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Carl

* Tag Inheritance
@ 2008-10-06 12:04 Jean-Marie Gaillourdet
From: Jean-Marie Gaillourdet @ 2008-10-06 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi list,

I am new to this list and somewhat new to org-mode. My .emacs includes

(setq org-tag-alist
      '( (:startgroup)
         ("@phone" . ?1) ("@laptop" . ?2) ("@online" . ?3) ("@uni" . ?4)
("@kl" . ?5)
         ("@home" . ?6) ("@thinking" . ?7) ("@programming" . ?8)
("@writing" . ?9) ("@meeting" . ?0)
         (:endgroup)
         (:startgroup) ("APH" . ?a) ("AGMEETING" . ?g) (:endgroup)
         (:startgroup) ("idea" . ?i) ("question" . ?q) ("reference" .
?r) ("note" . ?o) (:endgroup)
         (:startgroup) ("work" . ?w) ("private" . ?p) (:endgroup)
         (:startgroup)
         ("refile" . ?f)
         (:endgroup)
         (:startgroup)
         ("project" . ?j)
         ("dissertation" .?s)
         (:endgroup)
         (:startgroup)
         ("review_daily" . ?m)
         ("review_weekly" . ?,)
         ("review_monthly" . ?.)
         (:endgroup)
         ))

(setq org-use-tag-inheritance '("work" "private"))

I thought this should have the effect, that work and private are
inherited while all other tags are not.

But C-c C-c on the second line of:

* Test 1                       :@laptop:work:
*** Test 2

shows, that @laptop is inherited while work is not inherited. The
documentation of org-use-tag-inheritance states

> This may also be a list of tags that should be inherited, or a regexp
> that matches tags that should be inherited.

Therefore, I assumed that work should be inherited and @laptop. Is this
a bug in the documentation or the implementation? How can I get the
negated behaviour?

Best regards,
 Jean

* Re: Tag Inheritance
@ 2008-10-06 18:41 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Marie Gaillourdet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jean,

this is a bug, thank you for your report.

Fixed in GIT.

- Carsten

* Tag inheritance
@ 2010-03-21  5:35 Chao Lu
From: Chao Lu @ 2010-03-21  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

Is it possible for all the headlines inherit tags from the *filename?* If we
could make it a in-buffer setting, that will be great. For example, I
usually write notes related to Emacs in a file called Emacs.org. ^.^

All the best,

Chao
*
*

* Re: Tag inheritance
@ 2010-03-21  6:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-21  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Lu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 21, 2010, at 6:35 AM, Chao Lu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is it possible for all the headlines inherit tags from the filename?
> If we could make it a in-buffer setting, that will be great. For
> example, I usually write notes related to Emacs in a file called
> Emacs.org. ^.^

Hi Chao,

that would be

#+FILETAGS: Emacs