* bug with org-agenda-export
@ 2008-10-30 15:27 Robert Goldman
       [not found] ` <djd4hi9jn1.fsf@development.richardriley.net>
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-30 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been using tag filtering from my agenda to get, e.g., a view of
the agenda that has only my TODOs that are tagged as '@car'.  This works
fine.  But when I try to write them to a text file, using C-x C-w, I get
output containing TODOs that are *not* tagged with @car.

I am doing this using the latest version from git.

I have done this before successfully, so I think this may be a recently
introduced problem.

I will have a look at the code, but thought I would report this right
away, in case anyone on the list has any insight.

Best,

* Re: bug with org-agenda-export
       [not found] ` <djd4hi9jn1.fsf@development.richardriley.net>
@ 2008-10-30 15:59   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-10-30 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Why would you expect C-x C-w to remove/filter anything? Its simply
> write-file. Or do I misunderstand? Did you possibly redefine this
> command?

I guess I expected the agenda-writer to be WYSIWYG in its behavior, and
so apply the filters.

I can understand what's going on, but it seems counterintuitive to me:
the filter I apply interactively is implemented with overlays and not
reflected in the output, but the special command I write that to me
seems to do the same thing is not implemented with overlays, so works
with org-write-agenda.

I can see why this is done this way, and having looked at the
emacs-lisp, I can see why it might be a big pain to change it to make
org-write-agenda be wysiwyg, but I find it hard to think of the current
behavior as actually desirable.  Why would one *want* (as opposed to
tolerate) an agenda writer that shows one something different from what
one sees on the screen?

Put differently, why would I expect C-x C-w effectively to *strip* the
filters?  I have already filtered, so I don't think of it as removing or
filtering for C-x C-w to print what I see.  Again, I understand what is
really happening in the code, but to a user, it looks as if C-x C-w is
stripping a filter that's been applied.

@ 2008-11-01 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

I agree that the exported agenda view should not contain the stuff
hidden by a filter.  The next push to the git repo fixes this problem.

Thanks for the report!

- Carsten