* does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  5:21 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2010-09-22  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org mode; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche

In the org manual node `(org) Property syntax' one can read the
following:

--8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
   If you want to set properties that can be inherited by any entry
in a file, use a line like
     #+PROPERTY: NDisks_ALL 1 2 3 4
--8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---

However this does not seem to work.

What I did to get the same effect is place a property drawer before the
first title, and then set

In order to disable export of this drawer (because I am exporting
drawers in general).

I would like to know whether this is a bug, and if yes I can provide a
patch to the manual with work-around explained above.

BR,
   Vincent.

PS: #+PROPERTY does not work with completion `C-M-i' either

* Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  6:10 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-22  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?=; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org mode

Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:

> In the org manual node `(org) Property syntax' one can read the
> following:
>

> --8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
>    If you want to set properties that can be inherited by any entry
> in a file, use a line like
>      #+PROPERTY: NDisks_ALL 1 2 3 4
> --8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---
>
> However this does not seem to work.

In what way does it fail to work?

AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I try to
insert a NDisks property with

       C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>

and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
property is inserted.

Nick

@ 2010-09-22  6:58   ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-09-22  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?=, Org mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:
>
>> In the org manual node `(org) Property syntax' one can read the
>> following:
>>

>> --8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
>>    If you want to set properties that can be inherited by any entry
>> in a file, use a line like
>>      #+PROPERTY: NDisks_ALL 1 2 3 4
>> --8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---
>>
>> However this does not seem to work.
>
> In what way does it fail to work?
>
> AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I try to
> insert a NDisks property with
>
>        C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>
>
> and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
> property is inserted.

In the below example

#+PROPERTY: Age 25
#+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age

* Heading 1
* Heading 2

When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
format that I mentioned at the file level.

But the following one works

* Heading 1
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Age: 25
  :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
  :END:
* Heading 2

Looks like the file level settings are not working.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

> Nick
>

>> What I did to get the same effect is place a property drawer before the
>> first title, and then set

>> In order to disable export of this drawer (because I am exporting
>> drawers in general).
>>
>> I would like to know whether this is a bug, and if yes I can provide a
>> patch to the manual with work-around explained above.
>>
>> BR,
>>    Vincent.
>>
>> PS: #+PROPERTY does not work with completion `C-M-i' either

* Re: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  7:36     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-22  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M; +Cc: nt=5FBela=3DEFche=3F=3D?=, nicholas.dokos, Org mode

Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:
> >
> >> In the org manual node `(org) Property syntax' one can read the
> >> following:
> >>

> >> --8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
> >>    If you want to set properties that can be inherited by any entry
> >> in a file, use a line like
> >>      #+PROPERTY: NDisks_ALL 1 2 3 4
> >> --8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---
> >>
> >> However this does not seem to work.
> >
> > In what way does it fail to work?
> >
> > AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I try to
> > insert a NDisks property with
> >
> >        C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>
> >
> > and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
> > property is inserted.
> >

> In the below example

> #+PROPERTY: Age 25
> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>
> * Heading 1
> * Heading 2
>
> When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
> format that I mentioned at the file level.
>
> But the following one works

> * Heading 1
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :Age: 25
>   :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>   :END:
> * Heading 2
>
> Looks like the file level settings are not working.

If I evaluate the form

    (org-entry-get (point) "Age" t)

with the point at any heading, I get "25". OTOH, even with
org-use-property-inheritance set to t, column view does not
show it. Ergo, it's a column view bug.

In org-columns-compute, I see

      (while (re-search-backward re beg t)
	(setq sumpos (match-beginning 0)
	      last-level level
	      level (org-outline-level)
	      val (org-entry-get nil property)

I suspect the val line needs to be

	      val (org-entry-get nil property org-use-property-inheritance)

instead.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  8:09       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: nt=5FBela=3DEFche=3F=3D?=, Org mode, Noorul Islam K M

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:
>

> > In the below example

> > #+PROPERTY: Age 25
> > #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
> >
> > * Heading 1
> > * Heading 2
> >
> > When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
> > format that I mentioned at the file level.
> >
> > But the following one works

> > * Heading 1
> >   :PROPERTIES:
> >   :Age: 25
> >   :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
> >   :END:
> > * Heading 2
> >
> > Looks like the file level settings are not working.
> >

> If I evaluate the form
>
>     (org-entry-get (point) "Age" t)
>
> with the point at any heading, I get "25". OTOH, even with
> org-use-property-inheritance set to t, column view does not
> show it. Ergo, it's a column view bug.
>
> In org-columns-compute, I see

>       (while (re-search-backward re beg t)
> 	(setq sumpos (match-beginning 0)
> 	      last-level level
> 	      level (org-outline-level)
> 	      val (org-entry-get nil property)
>
> I suspect the val line needs to be
>
> 	      val (org-entry-get nil property org-use-property-inheritance)
>
> instead.

No, that's not it. I think the basic problem is that
org-entry-properties ignores inheritance altogether (in particular,
it parses property names explicitly instead of using org-entry-get)[1].

Nick

[1] ... but it's late, I'm tired and I may very well be wrong - again.

* Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  8:43         ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-09-22  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: nt=5FBela=3DEFche=3F=3D?=, Org mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>> Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:
>>

>> > In the below example
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> > #+PROPERTY: Age 25
>> > #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>> >
>> > * Heading 1
>> > * Heading 2
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
>> > format that I mentioned at the file level.
>> >
>> > But the following one works
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> > * Heading 1
>> >   :PROPERTIES:
>> >   :Age: 25
>> >   :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>> >   :END:
>> > * Heading 2
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > Looks like the file level settings are not working.
>> >

>> If I evaluate the form
>>
>>     (org-entry-get (point) "Age" t)
>>
>> with the point at any heading, I get "25". OTOH, even with
>> org-use-property-inheritance set to t, column view does not
>> show it. Ergo, it's a column view bug.
>>
>> In org-columns-compute, I see

>>       (while (re-search-backward re beg t)
>> 	(setq sumpos (match-beginning 0)
>> 	      last-level level
>> 	      level (org-outline-level)
>> 	      val (org-entry-get nil property)
>>
>> I suspect the val line needs to be
>>
>> 	      val (org-entry-get nil property org-use-property-inheritance)
>>
>> instead.
>>

> No, that's not it. I think the basic problem is that
> org-entry-properties ignores inheritance altogether (in particular,
> it parses property names explicitly instead of using org-entry-get)[1].
>
> Nick
>
> [1] ... but it's late, I'm tired and I may very well be wrong - again.

Well, following one works. It looks like we need _ALL suffix for
inherited properties.

#+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %10Age
#+PROPERTY: Age_ALL 25

* Heading 1
* Heading 2

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  8:56           ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2010-09-22  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche, Org mode

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com> wrote:
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

>>> If I evaluate the form
>>>
>>>     (org-entry-get (point) "Age" t)
>>>
>>> with the point at any heading, I get "25". OTOH, even with
>>> org-use-property-inheritance set to t, column view does not
>>> show it. Ergo, it's a column view bug.
>>>
>>> In org-columns-compute, I see

>>>       (while (re-search-backward re beg t)
>>>      (setq sumpos (match-beginning 0)
>>>            last-level level
>>>            level (org-outline-level)
>>>            val (org-entry-get nil property)
>>>
>>> I suspect the val line needs to be
>>>
>>>            val (org-entry-get nil property org-use-property-inheritance)
>>>
>>> instead.
>>>

>> No, that's not it. I think the basic problem is that
>> org-entry-properties ignores inheritance altogether (in particular,
>> it parses property names explicitly instead of using org-entry-get)[1].
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> [1] ... but it's late, I'm tired and I may very well be wrong - again.
>
> Well, following one works. It looks like we need _ALL suffix for
> inherited properties.

> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %10Age
> #+PROPERTY: Age_ALL 25
>
> * Heading 1
> * Heading 2

To summarize:

Whatever Vincent said not working is working for me.

Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.555.g90cc)
GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.12) of
2010-01-30 on noorul

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  9:05     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-22  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M
  Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?=, nicholas.dokos, Org mode

On Sep 22, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Noorul Islam K M wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:
>>
>>> In the org manual node `(org) Property syntax' one can read the
>>> following:
>>>

>>> --8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
>>>   If you want to set properties that can be inherited by any entry
>>> in a file, use a line like
>>>     #+PROPERTY: NDisks_ALL 1 2 3 4
>>> --8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---
>>>
>>> However this does not seem to work.
>>
>> In what way does it fail to work?
>>
>> AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I
>> try to
>> insert a NDisks property with
>>
>>       C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>
>>
>> and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
>> property is inserted.
>>

> In the below example

> #+PROPERTY: Age 25
> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>
> * Heading 1
> * Heading 2
>
> When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
> format that I mentioned at the file level.
>
> But the following one works

> * Heading 1
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :Age: 25
>  :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>  :END:
> * Heading 2
>
> Looks like the file level settings are not working.

They are, but

1. inheritance is not on by default, you need to enable
    if for specific properties.

2. Column view never looks at inherited values.  That iswhy it is
    not using org-entry-get with an inheritance flag.  Column view
    only shows and edits properties that are local to each entry.
    Otherwise, editing an inherited value would silently
    edit it also for other entries.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

- Carsten

* Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  9:17       ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2010-09-22  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bela=EFche?=, nicholas.dokos, Org mode

> On Sep 22, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Noorul Islam K M wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>>> In what way does it fail to work?
>>>
>>> AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I
>>> try to
>>> insert a NDisks property with
>>>
>>>       C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>
>>>
>>> and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
>>> property is inserted.
>>>

>> In the below example

>> #+PROPERTY: Age 25
>> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>>
>> * Heading 1
>> * Heading 2
>>
>> When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
>> format that I mentioned at the file level.
>>
>> But the following one works

>> * Heading 1
>>  :PROPERTIES:
>>  :Age: 25
>>  :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>>  :END:
>> * Heading 2
>>
>> Looks like the file level settings are not working.
>
> They are, but
>
> 1. inheritance is not on by default, you need to enable
>    if for specific properties.
>
> 2. Column view never looks at inherited values.  That iswhy it is
>    not using org-entry-get with an inheritance flag.  Column view
>    only shows and edits properties that are local to each entry.
>    Otherwise, editing an inherited value would silently
>    edit it also for other entries.

I have this variable org-use-property-inheritance set as 'nil' and have
the following contents in the file.

#+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %10Age
#+PROPERTY: Age_ALL 1 2 3 4 5 6

* Heading 1
* Heading 2

With this I am able to edit Age property using C-c C-x C-c and by
pressing e on Age column for both the headings.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-22  9:39         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-22  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M
  Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?=, nicholas.dokos, Org mode

On Sep 22, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Noorul Islam K M wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>> In the below example

>>> #+PROPERTY: Age 25
>>> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>>>
>>> * Heading 1
>>> * Heading 2
>>>
>>> When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using
>>> the
>>> format that I mentioned at the file level.
>>>
>>> But the following one works

>>> * Heading 1
>>> :PROPERTIES:
>>> :Age: 25
>>> :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>>> :END:
>>> * Heading 2
>>>
>>> Looks like the file level settings are not working.
>>
>> They are, but
>>
>> 1. inheritance is not on by default, you need to enable
>>   if for specific properties.
>>
>> 2. Column view never looks at inherited values.  That iswhy it is
>>   not using org-entry-get with an inheritance flag.  Column view
>>   only shows and edits properties that are local to each entry.
>>   Otherwise, editing an inherited value would silently
>>   edit it also for other entries.
>
> I have this variable org-use-property-inheritance set as 'nil' and
> have
> the following contents in the file.

> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %10Age
> #+PROPERTY: Age_ALL 1 2 3 4 5 6
>
> * Heading 1
> * Heading 2
>
> With this I am able to edit Age property using C-c C-x C-c and by
> pressing e on Age column for both the headings.

yes.  the _ALL properties are an exception and always inherited.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-23  3:26 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-09-23  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: Org mode

On 09/22/2010 10:13 PM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for all the feedback. I am using Org-mode version 6.33x which is
> the latest on emacs CVS repository --- that may be outdated as emacs is
> using bazaar now.

Yes, very outdated.  Orgmode 7.01 was released over two months ago now.

You can get the latest from http://orgmode.org

It is a very simple installation, just download and add a couple
directories to your load-path.

You can also get the latest from git, which is what I do.

@ 2010-09-23  4:23 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-23  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?=; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org mode

Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback. I am using Org-mode version 6.33x which is
> the latest on emacs CVS repository --- that may be outdated as emacs is
> using bazaar now.
>
> What is not working is
>
> 1. Auto-completion of `#+PROP' does not work

Indeed: #+PROPERTY is missing from org-get-current-options in
org-exp.el.

> 2. `C-c C-x p' does not work.

That should say: *completion* in C-c C-x p (org-set-property)
does not work. The function itself works just fine.

> Look at the following example:
>
> --8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
> #+PROPERTY: toto_ALL 1 2 3
>
> * test
>
> Then I type here `C-c C-x p'
> --8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---
>
> 2.1 The completion at `Property:' prompt does not propose `toto'
> 2.2 The completion at `Value:' prompt does not propose 1 2 or 3

Yes. I don't know how difficult it would be to add these features.

> Hope that this clarifies the issue.

Yes, thsnks!

Nick

* Re: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-23  4:34   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-23  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: nt=5FBela=3DEFche=3F=3D?=, Org mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:

> > 2.2 The completion at `Value:' prompt does not propose 1 2 or 3
> >

> Yes. I don't know how difficult it would be to add these features.

Actually, pressing <TAB> after the value prompt *does* produce the list
of allowed values in the more-or-less current version I'm running:

Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.500.gbbac.dirty)

Nick

* RE: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
@ 2010-09-23  5:19     ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2010-09-23  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the feedback,

I'll download the latest.

Yes, I just meant that *completion* does not work for property name, addition of property works fine.

    Vincent.

@ 2010-09-23  6:28       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-23  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 23, 2010, at 7:19 AM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback,
>
> I'll download the latest.
>
> Yes, I just meant that *completion* does not work for property name,
> addition of property works fine.

I have just fixed this issue, now completion should work on both the #
+property
keyword itself, as well as the property name after it.

Cheers

- Carsten