From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Noorul Islam K M <noorul@noorul.com>
Cc: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?= <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>,
	nicholas.dokos@hp.com, "Org mode" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Re: does #+PROPERTY still exist ?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:05:28 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sep 22, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Noorul Islam K M wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>  wrote:
>>
>>> In the org manual node `(org) Property syntax' one can read the
>>> following:
>>>

>>> --8<-------------coupez ici--------------début-------------->8---
>>>   If you want to set properties that can be inherited by any entry
>>> in a file, use a line like
>>>     #+PROPERTY: NDisks_ALL 1 2 3 4
>>> --8<-------------coupez ici---------------fin--------------->8---
>>>
>>> However this does not seem to work.
>>
>> In what way does it fail to work?
>>
>> AFAICT, it works as advertised: after inserting the above line, I
>> try to
>> insert a NDisks property with
>>
>>       C-c C-x p NDisks<RET>5<RET>
>>
>> and it complains ("No match").  If I use e.g. 3 instead of 5, the
>> property is inserted.
>>

> In the below example

> #+PROPERTY: Age 25
> #+COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>
> * Heading 1
> * Heading 2
>
> When I try to use column view to edit the property it is not using the
> format that I mentioned at the file level.
>
> But the following one works

> * Heading 1
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :Age: 25
>  :COLUMNS: %25ITEM %Age
>  :END:
> * Heading 2
>
> Looks like the file level settings are not working.

They are, but

1. inheritance is not on by default, you need to enable
    if for specific properties.

2. Column view never looks at inherited values.  That iswhy it is
    not using org-entry-get with an inheritance flag.  Column view
    only shows and edits properties that are local to each entry.
    Otherwise, editing an inherited value would silently
    edit it also for other entries.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

- Carsten