* non-text file handling method / stucture
@ 2009-03-13 21:19 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-03-13 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Salve!

I am just starting to use Emacs-Org-Mode and planning to use it for my GTD
system.
However I am not sure what files (file structure) to use.

Until now, I made a directory for each project.
In each project directory I have a text file called "plan".
This is where I did my thinking and planing until now... but is is very
limited and lacks the ability to get an overview/idea of the whole project.
I used this structure because I knew where everything was. (.pdf and other
files as well as text)

Now that I discovered Org-Mode, I am thinking about the following methods:

1) Replacing the "plan" files in the project directorys with "plan.org"
files. Still having one directory per project.

2) Having one "projects.org" file and a directory called "documents" (or
something similar) where all the non-text-documents go. The
projects.orgfile then links to the appropreate documents. Seperate
higher goals file.
- document handling can get confusing...
- deleting / moving of documents could result in broken links
- backing up / archiving done projects (AND their documents [maybe])

3) Having one "gtd.org" file and having a directory only for the projects
for which I have non-text documents. And linking to thouse directories in
the general "gtd.org" file.
- my favourite option until now
- unsure how to handle the creation/deletion of directories and the links
that go along...
- an automated option would be ideal!
- e.g. a "script" or something similar that makes sure that the project
names (headlines with a :PROJECT: tag) at the same time link to that project
if a directory exists in my "projects" directory.

Please let me know what you think... any idea is welcome... comments on my
ideas / other methods / mistures / etc

Thank you for reading :)
Greetings,
Eraldo