* A more generic Effort property?
@ 2008-11-12 15:41 Inanna Underhill
From: Inanna Underhill @ 2008-11-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am really enjoying upgrading from 5.23 to 6.11, especially the new
summing in the columns-view of the agenda buffer.  I'd been trying to
figure out something like the Effort property behavior on my own, so
this is a bonus, too.  Thank you!

In my own thinking about effort, however, effort is a psychological
phenomenon.  For example, some things that I do only take a short time
but are very difficult (nagging small children) , while others take a
long time but are easy (reading a book).  I use the property DURATION to
do what you are doing with Effort.

So, obviously, I just changed the default name of the effort property to
DURATION and that solves that.

But here is (finally) why I'm writing.  I think the Effort function you
have designed should be more generic - specifically that it should not
require a HH:MM format.  That would significantly increase the number of
ways people could use it.  As an expense tracker, for example, or with a
simple integer for physical or psychological strain. Or even memory usage!

Ideally, multiple properties could share the Effort functionality, but
that may be opening a whole new can of worms.

I'm going to try to write an add-on myself, but I figured I'd throw it out
there in case people think it would be a useful change to the core
program.

Inanna

* Re: A more generic Effort property?
@ 2008-11-12 16:05 ` sergio
From: sergio @ 2008-11-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 12, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Inanna Underhill wrote:

> I am really enjoying upgrading from 5.23 to 6.11, especially the new

speaking of upgrading..

i am currently running 5.23a.. it came with aquamacs.

should i upgrade to the most current version?

thanks!

___
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary
www.village-buzz.com

* Re: A more generic Effort property?
@ 2008-11-12 23:14   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-12 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sergio; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 12, 2008, at 5:05 PM, sergio wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Inanna Underhill wrote:
>
>> I am really enjoying upgrading from 5.23 to 6.11, especially the new
>

> speaking of upgrading..
>
> i am currently running 5.23a.. it came with aquamacs.
>
> should i upgrade to the most current version?

yes. Yes. YES!!!  HUGE differences.

- Carsten

* Re: A more generic Effort property?
@ 2008-11-12 23:16 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-12 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Inanna Underhill; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Inanna,

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but you can have several
summing properties and use them just like the Effort property, but
with just plain numbers, for example.

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-13  1:00   ` Inanna Underhill
From: Inanna Underhill @ 2008-11-13  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Now that you mention it, since you've included <> in property searches,
with the secondary filtering it's pretty simple to treat any numerical
property like Effort, I guess.

The only exception is that I can't easily sort by other properties.
When I figure out how to put that in org-agenda-sorting-strategy, my
problem is solved.

@ 2008-11-13  8:26     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-13  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Inanna Underhill; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 13, 2008, at 2:00 AM, Inanna Underhill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that you mention it, since you've included <> in property
> searches,
> with the secondary filtering it's pretty simple to treat any numerical
> property like Effort, I guess.
>
> The only exception is that I can't easily sort by other properties.
> When I figure out how to put that in org-agenda-sorting-strategy, my
> problem is solved.

Yes, you currently cannot do this.  Implementing this will not be
easy, because the moment when sorting happens is when all the info is
already extracted, so the comparison function would need to go back to
the original entry to fish out the property values.

Or we could make a hook that is called when entries are selected, that
could for inclusion of more property values, so that they would be
available at the moment of sorting.....

- Carsten

@ 2008-11-13 14:29     ` sergio
From: sergio @ 2008-11-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 12, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> yes. Yes. YES!!!  HUGE differences.

i am running aquamacs emacs..

can i just insert the correct lines into my .emacs folder to load the
new one and forsake the old one?

___

@ 2008-11-13 14:36       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-13 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sergio; +Cc: orgmode Org-Mode

On Nov 13, 2008, at 3:29 PM, sergio wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> yes. Yes. YES!!!  HUGE differences.
>

> i am running aquamacs emacs..
>
> can i just insert the correct lines into my .emacs folder to load
> the new one and forsake the old one?

Hi Sergio,

I like your enthusiasm, but please don't turn the mailing
list into a chat room.  Please do a minimum of research yourself,
in this case reading the installation instructions
in the manual.

- Carsten