* A more generic Effort property?
@ 2008-11-12 15:41 Inanna Underhill
From: Inanna Underhill @ 2008-11-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am really enjoying upgrading from 5.23 to 6.11, especially the new
summing in the columns-view of the agenda buffer.  I'd been trying to
figure out something like the Effort property behavior on my own, so
this is a bonus, too.  Thank you!

In my own thinking about effort, however, effort is a psychological
phenomenon.  For example, some things that I do only take a short time
but are very difficult (nagging small children) , while others take a
long time but are easy (reading a book).  I use the property DURATION to
do what you are doing with Effort.

So, obviously, I just changed the default name of the effort property to
DURATION and that solves that.

But here is (finally) why I'm writing.  I think the Effort function you
have designed should be more generic - specifically that it should not
require a HH:MM format.  That would significantly increase the number of
ways people could use it.  As an expense tracker, for example, or with a
simple integer for physical or psychological strain. Or even memory usage!

Ideally, multiple properties could share the Effort functionality, but
that may be opening a whole new can of worms.

I'm going to try to write an add-on myself, but I figured I'd throw it out
there in case people think it would be a useful change to the core
program.

Inanna