* s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-10 20:53 Dov Grobgeld
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2010-11-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried to get the s5 presentation mode from
https://github.com/sigma/org-s5running, but I'm missing something. I
followed all the steps in the README,
but how do you generate the S5:ified html? I tried simply doing [C-c C-e b]
but it did not open up in s5 mode. What am I missing? Should the generated
html contain the contents of preamble in org-s5.el? It does not.

Thanks!
Dov

* Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-10 22:47 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-10 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dov Grobgeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I was interested in this but hadn't tried it. After seeing your message I
decided to give it a whirl. The only thing the README may leave slightly to
the imagination is that one needs to setup org-publish in addition to the
rest of the steps. I had never done this before so I followed Worg's
instructions and was able to generate the s5 presentations provided with the
git repo (blank and demo). Were I to expand the README, it would read like
this:

--------------------
- git clone https://github.com/sigma/org-s5.git
- download jquery here: http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_jQuery (I used
1.4.3 and renamed it jquery.js
<http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_jQuery>- download the s5 zip file here:
http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

<http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/>- unzip s5
--- mkdir s5
--- cd s5
--- unzip path/to/s5.zip
--- note presence of folder called ui

- get org publishing setup [1]
--- mkdir s5-publish
--- mkdir s5-publish/source
--- mkdir s5-publish/exported
--- edit .emacs and add this:

,-----
| (setq org-publish-project-alist
|   '(("org-s5"
|      :base-directory "~/path/to/s5-publish/source"
|      :base-extension "org"
|      :publishing-directory "~/path/to/s5-publish/exported"
|      :recursive t
|      :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html
|      :headline-levels 4
|      :auto-preamble t
|      )))
`-----

- get the s5 stuff where it needs to be
--- cp path/to/s5/ui s5-publish/exported/
--- cp jquery.js s5-publish/exported/ui/
--- cp path/to/s5-org.git/org-slides.js s5/publish/exported/ui/
--- cp path/to/s5-org.git/s5-demo.org s5/publish/source/

Restart emacs and try M-x org-publish-project and hit return twice. It
should export path/to/s5-publish/source/s5-demo.org into the export
directory we created; look for path/to/s5-publish/exported/s5-demo.html and
open it up.
----------------------

[1] I got the .emacs code from Worg here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php [2]

[2] Worg lists the base and publish directories with trailing slashes. I was
not able to publish successfully until I googled around and found a mailing
list post (http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/233/) where the poster did
not have trailing slashes. In trying that, it worked.

Hope that helps,
John

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>wrote:

> I tried to get the s5 presentation mode from
> https://github.com/sigma/org-s5 running, but I'm missing something. I
> followed all the steps in the README, but how do you generate the S5:ified
> html? I tried simply doing [C-c C-e b] but it did not open up in s5 mode.
> What am I missing? Should the generated html contain the contents of
> preamble in org-s5.el? It does not.
>
> Thanks!
> Dov

* Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-10 23:46 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-11-10 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dov Grobgeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I used this recently, and all I did was use M-x org-export-as-html.

On 10 November 2010 20:53, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to get the s5 presentation mode from https://github.com/sigma/org-s5
> running, but I'm missing something. I followed all the steps in the README,
> but how do you generate the S5:ified html? I tried simply doing [C-c C-e b]
> but it did not open up in s5 mode. What am I missing? Should the generated
> html contain the contents of preamble in org-s5.el? It does not.
>
> Thanks!
> Dov

Rick Moynihan
http://twitter.com/RickMoynihan
http://delicious.com/InkyHarmonics
http://sourcesmouth.co.uk/

* Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-11  0:53 ` Yann Hodique
From: Yann Hodique @ 2010-11-11  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I tried to get the s5 presentation mode from
> https://github.com/sigma/org-s5running, but I'm missing something. I
> followed all the steps in the README,
> but how do you generate the S5:ified html? I tried simply doing [C-c C-e b]
> but it did not open up in s5 mode. What am I missing? Should the generated
> html contain the contents of preamble in org-s5.el? It does not.

Hi,

I'm the author of this little hack, so first thanks for your interest :)
You're right, the goal is to have it work by just exporting to html, so
C-c C-e b should just work.

I suspect that you might have not inserted the magic line
,----
| #+SETUPFILE: s5.org
`----
at the beginning of the file you're trying to export as s5.

Re-reading the README, I must admit it's far from being clear that the
magic comes from there... (will fix that immediately)

Does that help ?

Yann.

--
"There is no escape--we pay for the violence of our ancestors. "

  -- from "The Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

* Re: Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-11  7:12   ` Dov Grobgeld
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2010-11-11  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Hodique; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your code, and for your help.

I don't know what I did yesterday, but today, I got queried whether to allow
BIND values in the buffer, and I then  managed to see s5-demo.org in S5 mode
in my browser, but something is messed up in the display. I see the first
slide, but "in a layer below it", the html text appears, and thus I have two
layers of text which, one which scrolls (below) and one static (on top). I
checked it with two firefox versions and two S5 versions but the problem
remains. I put the resulting html file at:

http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/s5test/s5-demo.html

Do you have any idea of what wrong?

Thanks!
Dov

@ 2010-11-11 10:31     ` Yann Hodique
From: Yann Hodique @ 2010-11-11 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Thanks for your code, and for your help.
> I don't know what I did yesterday, but today, I got queried whether to allow
> BIND values in the buffer, and I then  managed to see s5-demo.org in S5 mode
> in my browser, but something is messed up in the display. I see the first
> slide, but "in a layer below it", the html text appears, and thus I have two
> layers of text which, one which scrolls (below) and one static (on top). I
> checked it with two firefox versions and two S5 versions but the problem
> remains. I put the resulting html file at:

> http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/s5test/s5-demo.html

> Do you have any idea of what wrong?

After a quick look, it would seem that you're missing jquery.js and
org-slides.js in your /~dov/s5test/ui directory

Or maybe they're here, and there is a permission problem with those
files ?

In any case http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/s5test/ui/jquery.js gives
a 404 error. Same for org-slides.js

The consequence is that S5 is activated, but the document is not
transformed correctly to fit into the expected model (hence the garbage
display)

Hope this helps,

Yann.

--
How simple things were when our Messiah was only a dream.

  -- STILGAR, Naib of Sietch Tabr

* Re: Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-11 11:13       ` Dov Grobgeld
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2010-11-11 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann Hodique; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Great! Thanks! Finally got it working.

Next question. Is it possible to get syntax highlighting in s5/org? This
might be more related to s5 than to s5-org though.

#+SETUPFILE: s5.org
#+TITLE: Perl
#+AUTHOR: Dov Grobgeld
#+BIND: org-s5-html-preamble-footer "<h1>A perl test</h1>"

* Perl
- A simple perl program

#+begin_src perl
  #!/usr/bin/perl
  while(<>) {
      print "$.: $_";
  }
#+end_src

* Thanks
Bye bye!

Thanks,
Dov

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:31, Yann Hodique <yhodique@vmware.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for your code, and for your help.
> > I don't know what I did yesterday, but today, I got queried whether to
> allow
> > BIND values in the buffer, and I then  managed to see s5-demo.org in S5
> mode
> > in my browser, but something is messed up in the display. I see the first
> > slide, but "in a layer below it", the html text appears, and thus I have
> two
> > layers of text which, one which scrolls (below) and one static (on top).
> > checked it with two firefox versions and two S5 versions but the problem
> > remains. I put the resulting html file at:
>
> > http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/s5test/s5-demo.html<http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/%7Edov/s5test/s5-demo.html>
>
> > Do you have any idea of what wrong?
>
> After a quick look, it would seem that you're missing jquery.js and
> org-slides.js in your /~dov/s5test/ui directory
>
> Or maybe they're here, and there is a permission problem with those
> files ?
>
> In any case http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/s5test/ui/jquery.js<http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/%7Edov/s5test/ui/jquery.js>gives
> a 404 error. Same for org-slides.js
>
> The consequence is that S5 is activated, but the document is not
> transformed correctly to fit into the expected model (hence the garbage
> display)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Yann.
>
> --
> How simple things were when our Messiah was only a dream.
>
>  -- STILGAR, Naib of Sietch Tabr

* Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-11 11:34         ` Yann Hodique
From: Yann Hodique @ 2010-11-11 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Great! Thanks! Finally got it working.
> Next question. Is it possible to get syntax highlighting in s5/org? This
> might be more related to s5 than to s5-org though.

Sure, but it's actually an org-mode question :)

> #+SETUPFILE: s5.org
> #+TITLE: Perl
> #+AUTHOR: Dov Grobgeld
> #+BIND: org-s5-html-preamble-footer "<h1>A perl test</h1>"

> * Perl
> - A simple perl program

> #+begin_src perl
>   #!/usr/bin/perl
>   while(<>) {
>       print "$.: $_";
>   }
> #+end_src

Well, it just works for me. The HTML export takes care of highlighting
code blocks (probably using htmlize or something similar). Then org-s5
doesn't transform at all those parts of the document.

In your case I'd say that probably the source code exporter might fail
for whatever reason. Is it doing the right thing for "regular" HTML
export ?

Alternately, I might have configured something somewhere to have code
highlighting enabled, but I can't remember :) (and definitely not
anything specific to org-s5). Anyway I suspect the problem is more on
the org-mode side this time, whatever it is.

Yann.

--
One uses power by grasping it lightly.  To grasp with too much force is to be
taken over by power, thus becoming its victim.

  -- Bene Gesserit Axiom

* Re: Re: s5 presentation
@ 2010-11-11 12:21           ` Dov Grobgeld
From: Dov Grobgeld @ 2010-11-11 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)