* Suport for pictures?
@ 2007-08-08  8:57 Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2007-08-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all, I'm a new user of org-mode.
I wonder if it is possible to include graphics within LaTeX fragments?
I'd be interested in using both external eps-files and internal code like
Pstricks.

Best regards,
Johan

* Re: Suport for pictures?
@ 2007-08-08  9:53 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Johan,

"Johan Ekh" <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if it is possible to include graphics within LaTeX fragments?

Have a look here:
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.html#LaTeX-fragments

For HTML export, the \includegraphics{...} won't produce anything.

If you embed it in a \begin{figure} environment, this environment will
be parsed by the dvipng utility, but AFAIK this program is not able to
produce png files from images.

For LaTeX export (and i guess you mostly need eps images for this),
there are three options:

1. A simple image link [[file:image.eps]] will be converted as:
   \includegraphics[width=10em]{images.eps}

2. Simple LaTeX insertion:
   #+LaTeX: \includegraphics[width=5em]{~/images/image.eps}

3. More complex LaTeX insertion:
   #+BEGIN_LaTeX
     \begin{figure}
     \includegraphics[width=5em]{~/images/image.eps}
     \caption{Some descriptive text here}
     \end{figure}
   #+END_LaTeX

PS: the LaTeX exporter still doesn't recognize \begin{...} environments
when they are not specified by #+BEGIN_LaTeX and #+END_LaTeX delimiters.
This will be fixed in the next release.

Hope this helps,

--
Bastien

* Re: Suport for pictures?
@ 2007-08-08 11:11   ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2007-08-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your answers Bastien!
Sorry for being ignorant, but how do I use the "LaTeX exporter"? I did not
know about it.
Can't find it in my version of the documentation.

One more question, can I use Pstricks with the latex exporter?

Best regards,
Johan

2007/8/8, Bastien <bzg@altern.org>:

> Hi Johan,
>
> "Johan Ekh" <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I wonder if it is possible to include graphics within LaTeX fragments?
>
> Have a look here:
> http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.html#LaTeX-fragments
>
> For HTML export, the \includegraphics{...} won't produce anything.
>
> If you embed it in a \begin{figure} environment, this environment will
> be parsed by the dvipng utility, but AFAIK this program is not able to
> produce png files from images.
>
> For LaTeX export (and i guess you mostly need eps images for this),
> there are three options:
>
> 1. A simple image link [[file:image.eps]] will be converted as:
>    \includegraphics[width=10em]{images.eps}
>
> 2. Simple LaTeX insertion:
>    #+LaTeX: \includegraphics[width=5em]{~/images/image.eps}
>
> 3. More complex LaTeX insertion:
>    #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>      \begin{figure}
>      \includegraphics[width=5em]{~/images/image.eps}
>      \caption{Some descriptive text here}
>      \end{figure}
>    #+END_LaTeX
>
> PS: the LaTeX exporter still doesn't recognize \begin{...} environments
> when they are not specified by #+BEGIN_LaTeX and #+END_LaTeX delimiters.
> This will be fixed in the next release.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: Suport for pictures?
@ 2007-08-08 16:58     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Johan,

"Johan Ekh" <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for being ignorant, but how do I use the "LaTeX exporter"? I did
> not know about it. Can't find it in my version of the documentation.

Oops sorry, i should have mentionned it:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-export-latex.el

> One more question, can I use Pstricks with the latex exporter?

The LaTeX exporter just prevents #+BEGIN_LaTeX sections from being
converted into LaTeX - i.e. it leaves them as they are. So you can
put whatever (La)TeX (and pstricks) code you want inside them.

Let me know if you encounter any trouble.

Bastien

* Re: Suport for pictures?
@ 2007-08-14  9:40       ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2007-08-14  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

But how do I actually invoke the exporter?
There is no latex option available when doing an export.

Best regards,
Johan

2007/8/8, Bastien <bzg@altern.org>:

> Hello Johan,
>
> "Johan Ekh" <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Sorry for being ignorant, but how do I use the "LaTeX exporter"? I did
> > not know about it. Can't find it in my version of the documentation.
>
> Oops sorry, i should have mentionned it:
>
>   http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-export-latex.el
>
> > One more question, can I use Pstricks with the latex exporter?
>
> The LaTeX exporter just prevents #+BEGIN_LaTeX sections from being
> converted into LaTeX - i.e. it leaves them as they are. So you can
> put whatever (La)TeX (and pstricks) code you want inside them.
>
> Let me know if you encounter any trouble.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: Suport for pictures?
@ 2007-08-14 10:08         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-14 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Johan,

"Johan Ekh" <ekh.johan@gmail.com> writes:

> But how do I actually invoke the exporter?
> There is no latex option available when doing an export.

You can invoke it like this:

  M-x org-export-as-latex

Also check other org-export-as-latex-* functions.

I didn't bind these LaTeX-related functions to any new key because you
will be able to call them from Org soon. Anyway, i'll add a hint in the
comment section of the code.

Bastien