* New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
@ 2010-05-26 11:54 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

                               New setup
                               =========

Author: Carsten Dominik
Date: 2010-05-26 13:53:28 CEST

Hi everyone,

I am very excited about the great response to my request for help by a
co-maintainer.  As a result of the different offers and ideas, we are
going to modify the development model for Org-mode.  Here is my
proposal on how things should work in the future.  Let me know if I
overlooks something.

Table of Contents
3 Feature requests and bug reports will be tracked in a text file
4 A small number of people should commit to Org's master branch
5 Other contributors
     5.1 Submitting patches
     5.2 Taking charge of a reported bug or a feature request
     5.3 Copyright

1 The git repository stays at git://repo.or.cz/org-mode

There was some discussion to move it to GitHub, but I think the
advantages are small.  Of cause you can run your own mirror on GitHub.
Or, even better fork it from John Wiegley's mirror at
[http://github.com/jwiegley/org-mode].  Patches you develop there can be
applied and feature branches merged when a piece of development is
accepted into Org-mode.

2 Patches sent to the mailing list are automatically registered
plainly in the mail text, or as text attachments (mime-type text,
subtypes "x-patch", "x-diff", or "plain").  John will oversee the
discussion about these patches, and apply the ones that are accepted.
I am sure that I will be involved as well, for some patches.

3 Feature requests and bug reports will be tracked in a text file

This file lives on Worg, at

[http://orgmode.org/work/org-issues.org]

David Maus is the main maintainer of this file, he will collect issues
and tasks and organize them.  I envision that people with Worg access
can go in and assign an issue to themselves and update the information
while work is being done on the issue.  How exactly this should be
done I would like to leave to David.

4 A small number of people should commit to Org's master branch

Currently I think only these people should commit to the master branch:

- John Wiegley, when he is applying patches

- Eric Schulte and Dan Davison, for all things concerning org-babel.
   These are the files currently in contrib/babel, they will move to
   lisp/babel at some point in the future.  Eric and Dan also make
   changes to some other Org files where necessary to make the
   interaction with babel smooth.

- Tom Breton for developing a test framework for Org, in the
   subdirectory "testing".

- Bastien for the occasional patch he handles, and everything
   necessary to keep worg and the website running

- Carsten for all kinds of changes, including adding new modules,
   design changes etc etc.

5 Other contributors
copyright issues.  When people submit patches, everyone can help by
studying them, applying them locally and reporting back to the mailing
list, in the same thread.  This will make it easier for John to decide
if the patch should be applied.

Note that we are abandoning the standard Emacs ChangeLog file to
record changes.  In a modern version control system like git,
ChangeLog is duplicating information that should be in the commit
message, and it is the main cause of merge conflicts.  From now on,
patches should not contain changes to the ChangeLog file, but should
contains a similarly formatted entry in the commit message.  An
example is [here].  If you are using magit in Emacs, such entries are
easily made by pressing "C" in the diff listing.  Another option to
make the entries is to use `C-x 4 a' in the changed function.  This
will create entries in the ChangeLog file, and you can then cut and
paste these to the commit message and remove the indentation.

[here]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/25574

5.2 Taking charge of a reported bug or a feature request

You can take charge of a reported bug or a feature request by noting
so in the issue tracker file.  Also reply to the mail that contained
the report/request, indicating that you will take care of this issue.
In this way, we avoid unnecessary duplication.

5.3 Copyright
==============

Please note that only patches that change less than 10 lines can be
used without formal treatment of copyright.  By submitting such a
patch, you are putting this patch into the public domain and allow us
to include it into Emacs and distribute it under GPL version 3.

If you want to make larger contributions, please sign the papers with
the FSF.  I am keeping a list of people from who I have these papers
in [this file on Worg].  If you are not on this list but should be,
please contact me.

[this file on Worg]: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php#contributors_with_fsf_papers

* Re: New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
@ 2010-05-27 13:13 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Hi,

This looks like a great setup.  I can't think of anything that I would
want done differently.

I have a couple of comments and questions for org-issues.org below.

Thanks -- Eric

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

[...]
> 3 Feature requests and bug reports will be tracked in a text file
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> This file lives on Worg, at
>
> [http://orgmode.org/work/org-issues.org]

small typo, the above link should be
http://orgmode.org/work/org-issues.org

> David Maus is the main maintainer of this file, he will collect issues
> and tasks and organize them.  I envision that people with Worg access
> can go in and assign an issue to themselves and update the information
> while work is being done on the issue.  How exactly this should be
> done I would like to leave to David.

Hi David,

Thanks for taking this on.

I just used this file to record a babel change, and I really like the
overall idea and the layout.  A couple of things that occurred to me.

- would it be desirable to have a headline property (e.g. ASSIGNEE or
  somesuch) so that users can take responsibility of issues, and search
  for issues to which they've been assigned.

- would it be difficult to tag babel files, i.e. messages with the
  "[babel]" marker in the headline, possibly in some automatic way,
  again to facilitate searching and sorting.

- regarding the links to gmane articles?
  - this is really minor, but I personally prefer thread.gmane.org
    based links as they show the entire thread
  - how do we find the gmane id of a message?
  - is there an easy way to discover/generate gmane links say from
    information contained in an email?

Many Thanks -- Eric

* Re: New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
@ 2010-05-27 13:16   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

[...]
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
>
> [...]
>> 3 Feature requests and bug reports will be tracked in a text file
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> This file lives on Worg, at
>>
>> [http://orgmode.org/work/org-issues.org]
>
> small typo, the above link should be
> http://orgmode.org/work/org-issues.org

ugh, my fault, *this* is the working link
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-issues.php

* Re: New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
@ 2010-05-28  7:04   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-05-28  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Hi Eric,
>I just used this file to record a babel change, and I really like the
>overall idea and the layout.  A couple of things that occurred to me.

>- would it be desirable to have a headline property (e.g. ASSIGNEE or
>  somesuch) so that users can take responsibility of issues, and search
>  for issues to which they've been assigned.

Sounds reasonable.

>- would it be difficult to tag babel files, i.e. messages with the
>  "[babel]" marker in the headline, possibly in some automatic way,
>  again to facilitate searching and sorting.

This should be quite easy and I'll look into this.

>- regarding the links to gmane articles?
>  - this is really minor, but I personally prefer thread.gmane.org
>    based links as they show the entire thread
>  - how do we find the gmane id of a message?
>  - is there an easy way to discover/generate gmane links say from
>    information contained in an email?

I've just found out that it is indeed possible to link to
thread.gmane.org using the resolver:

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=<MESSAGE-ID>

Where MESSAGE-ID is the content of the message id header field.  I've
changed this here so new issues will link to thread.gmane.org.

This might answer the other two questions: It's the message id of an
email that can (and should) be used to generate a gmane link.

Simply use the URL mentioned above for thread display, or
http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID to link to a single message.  In both
cases the message id should be hex-encoded (i.e. turning special chars
into escape sequence, @ -> %40 etc.) using `url-hexify-string'.

This function could work for Gnus to push the message id of a message
to kill-ring and clipboard:

,----
| (defun dmj/gnus-get-message-id ()
|   "Push message id of current message to killring and clipboard."
|   (interactive)
|   (when (memq major-mode '(gnus-summary-mode gnus-article-mode))
|     (let* ((header (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer
| 		     (gnus-summary-article-header)))
| 	   (message-id (url-hexify-string
| 			(org-remove-angle-brackets (mail-header-id header)))))
|       (org-kill-new message-id)
|       (when (fboundp 'x-set-selection)
| 	(ignore-errors (x-set-selection 'PRIMARY message-id))
| 	(ignore-errors (x-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD message-id))))))
`----

HTH
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
@ 2010-05-28 13:26     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-28 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Hi David,

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>>I just used this file to record a babel change, and I really like the
>>overall idea and the layout.  A couple of things that occurred to me.
>
>>- would it be desirable to have a headline property (e.g. ASSIGNEE or
>>  somesuch) so that users can take responsibility of issues, and search
>>  for issues to which they've been assigned.
>
> Sounds reasonable.

Great,

I will start using this if there are cases when I want to sign up for an
issue, but won't fix it immediately.

>>- would it be difficult to tag babel files, i.e. messages with the
>>  "[babel]" marker in the headline, possibly in some automatic way,
>>  again to facilitate searching and sorting.
>
> This should be quite easy and I'll look into this.

Thanks.

>>- regarding the links to gmane articles?
>>  - this is really minor, but I personally prefer thread.gmane.org
>>    based links as they show the entire thread
>>  - how do we find the gmane id of a message?
>>  - is there an easy way to discover/generate gmane links say from
>>    information contained in an email?
>
> I've just found out that it is indeed possible to link to
> thread.gmane.org using the resolver:
>
> http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=<MESSAGE-ID>
>
> Where MESSAGE-ID is the content of the message id header field.  I've
> changed this here so new issues will link to thread.gmane.org.
>
> This might answer the other two questions: It's the message id of an
> email that can (and should) be used to generate a gmane link.
>
> Simply use the URL mentioned above for thread display, or
> http://mid.gmane.org/MESSAGE-ID to link to a single message.  In both
> cases the message id should be hex-encoded (i.e. turning special chars
> into escape sequence, @ -> %40 etc.) using `url-hexify-string'.
>
> This function could work for Gnus to push the message id of a message
> to kill-ring and clipboard:

Thanks David, indeed the function your posted does work, and I was able
to use it with the url you posted above to quickly access the gmane
thread of this email.

Your function below raises the idea that it may be nice to have a single
place to host a small collection of functions related to use of
org-issues.org.  Maybe some form of the following simple functions could
be useful.

(defun org-issues/gmane-browse-message (id)
  "Browse the message specified by ID in gmane."
  (org-open-link-from-string
   (format "http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%s"
           id)))

(defun org-issue/gmane-browse ()
  "Browse the message related to the current org-issues.org
  headline in gmane."
  (interactive)
  (org-issues/gmane-browse-message
   (substring (org-entry-get (point) "ID" t) 4)))

Much Appreciated -- Eric

@ 2010-05-28 13:56     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-05-28 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> This function could work for Gnus to push the message id of a message
> to kill-ring and clipboard:

BTW, when you read messages in Gnus, you can simply call
`org-store-link', which will generate a link.  Depending on
`org-gnus-prefer-web-links' and the prefix arg, that will be a web link.

,----[ C-h f org-store-link RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v org-gnus-prefer-web-links RET ]
| org-gnus-prefer-web-links is a variable defined in `org-gnus.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means `org-store-link' will create web links to Google groups.
| When nil, Gnus will be used for such links.
| Using a prefix arg to the command C-c o l (`org-store-link')
| negates this setting for the duration of the command.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Oh, the docs mention only Google groups, but it does the trick also for
Gmane.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: New development organization - DRAFT, please comment
@ 2010-06-01 14:37       ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-06-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-org-mode-help gnu

Eric Schulte wrote:
>Hi David,

>David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>> Hi Eric,
>>>I just used this file to record a babel change, and I really like the
>>>overall idea and the layout.  A couple of things that occurred to me.
>>
>>>- would it be desirable to have a headline property (e.g. ASSIGNEE or
>>>  somesuch) so that users can take responsibility of issues, and search
>>>  for issues to which they've been assigned.
>>
>> Sounds reasonable.
>>

>Great,

>I will start using this if there are cases when I want to sign up for an
>issue, but won't fix it immediately.

I've added a hint on this property in the issue file's head and
modified the functions I use to operate on the file so issues which
are assigned cannot be closed.

>Thanks David, indeed the function your posted does work, and I was able
>to use it with the url you posted above to quickly access the gmane
>thread of this email.

>Your function below raises the idea that it may be nice to have a single
>place to host a small collection of functions related to use of
>org-issues.org.  Maybe some form of the following simple functions could
>be useful.

Well, I've started to polish the functions I use and will publish them
in a add-on or something.  These two go into this file.

Regards,

 -- David
--

@ 2010-06-01 16:28         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-01 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-org-mode-help gnu

On Jun 1, 2010, at 4:37 PM, David Maus wrote:

> Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Hi David,
>
>> David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:
>
>>> Hi Eric,

>>> Sounds reasonable.
>>>

>> Great,
>
>> I will start using this if there are cases when I want to sign up
>> for an
>> issue, but won't fix it immediately.
>
> I've added a hint on this property in the issue file's head and
> modified the functions I use to operate on the file so issues which
> are assigned cannot be closed.

I think it would also be useful to have a TODO state ASSIGNED, like

#+TODO: TODO ASSIGNED | DONE CANCELED

- Carsten

>> Thanks David, indeed the function your posted does work, and I was
>> able
>> to use it with the url you posted above to quickly access the gmane
>> thread of this email.
>
>> Your function below raises the idea that it may be nice to have a
>> single
>> place to host a small collection of functions related to use of
>> org-issues.org.  Maybe some form of the following simple functions
>> could
>> be useful.
>
> Well, I've started to polish the functions I use and will publish them
> in a add-on or something.  These two go into this file.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- David
> --
> OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6