* suppress ++ markup in orgmode?
@ 2018-11-20  2:08 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-11-20  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

I was looking at https://github.com/joostkremers/criticmarkup-emacs again
recently and ran into something I don't recall happening before.

There is a markup for inserting text thatlooks like {++Insert this text++}.
However, in org-mode this is marked up as strikethrough. Is there a way to
make that not happen?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: suppress ++ markup in orgmode?
@ 2018-11-20 17:51 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2018-11-20 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

> On Nov 19, 2018, at 6:08 PM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> I was looking at https://github.com/joostkremers/criticmarkup-emacs again recently and ran into something I don't recall happening before.
>
> There is a markup for inserting text thatlooks like {++Insert this text++}. However, in org-mode this is marked up as strikethrough. Is there a way to make that not happen?

customize org-emphasis-alist I would think

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: suppress ++ markup in orgmode?
@ 2018-11-20 21:05   ` John Kitchin
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-11-20 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: org-mode-email

That doesn't seem right to me. It seems like a bug that it is rendered as
strikethrough to me, like the regexp that is generated is too greedy. That
was a good hint though.

I was able to add + to the border component of the regexp components which
seems to have fixed the problem for me for now.

(setq org-emphasis-regexp-components '("- ('\"{"   ;pre
       "- .,:!?;'\")}\\["  ;post
       "\\+
" ;border
       "."
       1))

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2018-11-21 20:28     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email, Charles Berry

Hello,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> That doesn't seem right to me. It seems like a bug that it is rendered as
> strikethrough to me, like the regexp that is generated is too greedy. That
> was a good hint though.

IMO, +++ is clearly a plus sign with strike-through. Why would "+" sign
be excluded from strike-through?

You can use a zero-width space, like +<ZWS>++.

Nicolas Goaziou

From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-21 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email, Charles Berry

@ 2018-11-21 20:32     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-21 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email, Charles Berry

@ 2018-11-25 23:45       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-11-25 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org-mode-email, Charles Berry

hm. I would have interpreted it as an empty string with a strikethrough,
followed by a plus. It makes sense to require 1 or more characters
between them though.

Why is +-+ not a - with a strikethrough? Because it is a table line? Or
+ + is not a space with a strikethrough. I guess there are word
boundaries required.

I thought it was interesting that ++ + and + ++ show no strikethrough, but
++ ++ does. Evidently a strikethrough on + +. An editor, on the other
hand, might want to strikeout excess spaces.

It isn't a big deal, I just changed the editmark syntax to avoid
clashing with org-syntax.

--

@ 2018-11-26 20:21         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-26 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email, Charles Berry

Hello,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> hm. I would have interpreted it as an empty string with a strikethrough,
> followed by a plus. It makes sense to require 1 or more characters
> between them though.
>
> Why is +-+ not a - with a strikethrough? Because it is a table line?

It was a bug I was not very motivated to fix. It should now be fixed on
the export side, at least. I.e., "+-+" is exported as a strike-through.

> Or + + is not a space with a strikethrough. I guess there are word
> boundaries required.

Striking through nothing doesn't make sense, does it? In any case,
blanks are forbidden in the inner part of the markers.

> I thought it was interesting that ++ + and + ++ show no strikethrough, but
> ++ ++ does. Evidently a strikethrough on + +. An editor, on the other
> hand, might want to strikeout excess spaces.

We have to strike a balance here. Allowing emphasis markup around spaces
has more cons than pros, IMO.

> It isn't a big deal, I just changed the editmark syntax to avoid
> clashing with org-syntax.

The real issue here is that you're trying to bend Org syntax to fit
a foreign syntax. It may imply pain.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: suppress ++ markup in orgmode?
@ 2018-12-02  2:56       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2018-12-02  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, Charles Berry, org-mode-email

On 11/21/18, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> You can use a zero-width space, like +<ZWS>++.

that trick does not work on ===.

* Re: suppress ++ markup in orgmode?
@ 2018-12-02  8:06         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-12-02  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: org-mode-email, Charles Berry, John Kitchin

> On 11/21/18, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>> You can use a zero-width space, like +<ZWS>++.
>
> that trick does not work on ===.

What does not work, exactly?

Nicolas Goaziou