* Bug: Literal Examples are malformed in exports (to html/tex) [8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-165-g60ca9e @ /home/quazimodo/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode/lisp/)]
@ 2013-05-29 18:15 S.S
From: S.S @ 2013-05-29 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

I add a literal example like

#+BEGIN_SRC
       (defun org-xor (a b)
          "Exclusive or."
          (if a (not b) b))
#+END_SRC

and

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  (defun org-xor (a b)
     "Exclusive or."
     (if a (not b) b))
#+END_EXAMPLE

to an org file in various places.

Export with (org-html-export-to-html) and (org-latex-export-to-latex)
produces inconsistent and malformed example blocks. Some of these blocks
produce
#+BEGIN<sub>EXAMPLE</sub>
  (defun org-xor (a b)
     "Exclusive or."
     (if a (not b) b))

Others produce

(defun org-xor (a b)
   "Exclusive or."
   (if a (not b) b))

and

\#+BEGIN$_{\text{EXAMPLE}}$
  (defun org-xor (a b)
     "Exclusive or."
     (if a (not b) b))
\#+END$_{\text{EXAMPLE}}$

vs

\begin{example
}
(defun org-xor (a b)
   "Exclusive or."
   (if a (not b) b))
\end{example

I expect to see correctly created example areas that maintain
spacing/tabs/newlines.

I add the following before an example block
#+ATTR_HTML: :textarea t :width 40

and it creates

">
(defun org-xor (a b)
   "Exclusive or."
   (if a (not b) b))

NOTE: I do not believe that I have a mixed install. By deleting org-mode
8.0.3 and using the built-in 7.8.11 these problems are resolved.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-11-10 on charichuelo, modified by Debian
Package: Org-mode version 8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-165-g60ca9e @ /home/quazimodo/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode/lisp/)

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook '(org-babel-hash-at-point org-babel-execute-safely-maybe)
 org-latex-format-headline-function 'org-latex-format-headline-default-function
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe org-src-native-tab-command-maybe
                      org-babel-hide-result-toggle-maybe org-babel-header-arg-expand)
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees org-cycle-hide-drawers
                  org-cycle-hide-inline-tasks org-cycle-show-empty-lines
                  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-speed-command-hook '(org-speed-command-default-hook org-babel-speed-command-hook)
 org-babel-pre-tangle-hook '(save-buffer)
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-metaup-hook '(org-babel-load-in-session-maybe)
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-clock-out-hook '(org-clock-remove-empty-clock-drawer)
 org-mode-hook '((lambda nil
                  (org-add-hook (quote change-major-mode-hook) (quote org-show-block-all)
                   (quote append) (quote local))
                  )
                 (lambda nil
                  (org-add-hook (quote change-major-mode-hook)
                   (quote org-babel-show-result-all) (quote append) (quote local))
                  )
                 org-babel-result-hide-spec org-babel-hide-all-hashes)
 org-metadown-hook '(org-babel-pop-to-session-maybe)
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-babel-configure-edit-buffer
                     org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 )

@ 2013-05-29 18:59 S.S
From: S.S @ 2013-05-29 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Bug: Literal Examples are malformed in exports (to html/tex) [8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-165-g60ca9e @ /home/quazimodo/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode/lisp/)]
  2013-05-29 18:59 Bug: Literal Examples are malformed in exports (to html/tex) [8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-165-g60ca9e @ /home/quazimodo/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode/lisp/)] S.S
@ 2013-05-29 19:10 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <CAKnJoB5cg-7m0qyh2nun5ANMxg=d9tukTrXEg2d8Oo-fXZDWuw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-29 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.S; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

super.quazimodo@gmail.com (S.S) writes:

> I add a literal example like
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC
>        (defun org-xor (a b)
>           "Exclusive or."
>           (if a (not b) b))
> #+END_SRC

You need to provide a language for src blocks.

> and
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>   (defun org-xor (a b)
>      "Exclusive or."
>      (if a (not b) b))
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> to an org file in various places.
>
> Export with (org-html-export-to-html) and (org-latex-export-to-latex)
> produces inconsistent and malformed example blocks. Some of these blocks
> produce
> #+BEGIN<sub>EXAMPLE</sub>
>   (defun org-xor (a b)
>      "Exclusive or."
>      (if a (not b) b))
>
> Others produce

> (defun org-xor (a b)
>    "Exclusive or."
>    (if a (not b) b))
>
> and
>
> \#+BEGIN$_{\text{EXAMPLE}}$
>   (defun org-xor (a b)
>      "Exclusive or."
>      (if a (not b) b))
> \#+END$_{\text{EXAMPLE}}$

It means the example blocks are not recognized as such, for some reason.
I cannot reproduce it, so I'd need a bit more context around your wrong
blocks. Could you provide an ECM?

> I add the following before an example block
> #+ATTR_HTML: :textarea t :width 40
>
> and it creates

> ">
> (defun org-xor (a b)
>    "Exclusive or."
>    (if a (not b) b))

I cannot reproduce it either, but it seems related to the first problem.

Nicolas Goaziou

       [not found]     ` <871u8ph9r5.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2013-05-29 19:45       ` S S
From: S S @ 2013-05-29 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>wrote:

> S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've no Idea what an ECM is :( If you let me know I'll see if I can
> provide
> > it.
>
> It stands for "complete minimal example", i.e. enough information so
> that I can reproduce it. I probably don't need your complete Org file,
> but I'd appreciate that you bisect it to find out the wrong parts.
>
> Things are getting even weirder, trying to mock up an ECM for you now and
my emacs started stuttering, is hung at 100% CPU. Wasn't getting any of this
with built-in 7.8.11. Maybe have a frankenorg situation going on.

I'll investigate a bit more.

> > Also I found that one of the example blocks had:
> >
> > However this example block did not preserve tabs, etc and did not have
> the
> > grey box, etc.
>
> It's because <p> tag should be <textarea>. But that may be related to
> the problem above.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

I've added test.org and test_no_init.org along with their html exports plus
my init.el
to a gist.

https://gist.github.com/quazimodo/9055aca6167df1398c94

The init.el is long but you'll see from a fast skim there's nothing unusual
there.

7.8.11 is used with emacs -q and that seems to export the example blocks
properly,
doesn't seem to know what to do with code blocks though.

Do you need more?

Yours,
Sia

@ 2013-05-29 21:36         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-29 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S S; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> writes:

> I've added test.org and test_no_init.org along with their html exports plus
> my init.el
> to a gist.
>
> https://gist.github.com/quazimodo/9055aca6167df1398c94
>
> The init.el is long but you'll see from a fast skim there's nothing unusual
> there.

Indeed. But I suspect something wrong in your config: your example
exports correctly here.

> 7.8.11 is used with emacs -q and that seems to export the example blocks
> properly,
> doesn't seem to know what to do with code blocks though.

Constructs like #+begin_code are called "special blocks". They are not
meant to be used for source code. Use #+begin_src instead.

> Do you need more?

What happens if you eval (org-element-at-point) with point on the faulty
#+begin_example line?

Also, what's the value for `org-element-block-name-alist'?

Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2013-05-30  1:16           ` S S
From: S S @ 2013-05-30  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've added test.org and test_no_init.org along with their html exports plus
>> my init.el
>> to a gist.
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/quazimodo/9055aca6167df1398c94
>>
>> The init.el is long but you'll see from a fast skim there's nothing unusual
>> there.
>
> Indeed. But I suspect something wrong in your config: your example
> exports correctly here.
After fixing up begin_code to begin_src I see that you are right,
working fine with
7.8.11 and no init.el

>> 7.8.11 is used with emacs -q and that seems to export the example blocks
>> properly,
>> doesn't seem to know what to do with code blocks though.
>
> Constructs like #+begin_code are called "special blocks". They are not
> meant to be used for source code. Use #+begin_src instead.
Correct, it was late and I made a mistake, should have put #+BEGIN_SRC.

>> Do you need more?
>
> What happens if you eval (org-element-at-point) with point on the faulty
> #+begin_example line?
It returns
(special-block
 (:type "EXAMPLE\n" :begin 8 :end 178 :hiddenp nil :contents-begin 69
  :contents-end 157 :post-blank 2 :post-affiliated 48 :attr_html
        (":textarea t :width 40")
        :parent nil))

> Also, what's the value for `org-element-block-name-alist'?

org-element-block-name-alist is
(("CENTER" . org-element-center-block-parser)
 ("COMMENT" . org-element-comment-block-parser)
 ("EXAMPLE" . org-element-example-block-parser)
 ("QUOTE" . org-element-quote-block-parser)
 ("SRC" . org-element-src-block-parser)
 ("VERSE" . org-element-verse-block-parser))

Everything looks fine doesn't it...

> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou
I'll remove 8.0.3 and go back to 7.8.11, to see if my init is causing issues and
update you later today.

@ 2013-05-30  2:20             ` S S
From: S S @ 2013-05-30  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM, S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>> S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've added test.org and test_no_init.org along with their html exports plus
>>> my init.el
>>> to a gist.
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/quazimodo/9055aca6167df1398c94
>>>
>>> The init.el is long but you'll see from a fast skim there's nothing unusual
>>> there.
>>
>> Indeed. But I suspect something wrong in your config: your example
>> exports correctly here.
> After fixing up begin_code to begin_src I see that you are right,
> working fine with
> 7.8.11 and no init.el
>>
>>> 7.8.11 is used with emacs -q and that seems to export the example blocks
>>> properly,
>>> doesn't seem to know what to do with code blocks though.
>>
>> Constructs like #+begin_code are called "special blocks". They are not
>> meant to be used for source code. Use #+begin_src instead.
> Correct, it was late and I made a mistake, should have put #+BEGIN_SRC.
>>
>>> Do you need more?
>>
>> What happens if you eval (org-element-at-point) with point on the faulty
>> #+begin_example line?
> It returns
> (special-block
>  (:type "EXAMPLE\n" :begin 8 :end 178 :hiddenp nil :contents-begin 69
>   :contents-end 157 :post-blank 2 :post-affiliated 48 :attr_html
>         (":textarea t :width 40")
>         :parent nil))
>>
>> Also, what's the value for `org-element-block-name-alist'?
>>
> org-element-block-name-alist is
> (("CENTER" . org-element-center-block-parser)
>  ("COMMENT" . org-element-comment-block-parser)
>  ("EXAMPLE" . org-element-example-block-parser)
>  ("QUOTE" . org-element-quote-block-parser)
>  ("SRC" . org-element-src-block-parser)
>  ("VERSE" . org-element-verse-block-parser))
>
> Everything looks fine doesn't it...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Goaziou
> I'll remove 8.0.3 and go back to 7.8.11, to see if my init is causing issues and
> update you later today.

Done, everything works fine, I'm starting to think that this is an
issue with the way
that I installed org-mode. Actually I followed
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation
using the git method exactly.

Finally, if I reinstall it org-version sends the following message,
which I thought means
that it is correctly installed and using new files only.

@ 2013-05-30  6:34               ` S S
From: S S @ 2013-05-30  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM, S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM, S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Indeed. But I suspect something wrong in your config: your example
>>> exports correctly here.
>> After fixing up begin_code to begin_src I see that you are right,
>> working fine with
>> 7.8.11 and no init.el

>>> Constructs like #+begin_code are called "special blocks". They are not
>>> meant to be used for source code. Use #+begin_src instead.
>> Correct, it was late and I made a mistake, should have put #+BEGIN_SRC.

>>> What happens if you eval (org-element-at-point) with point on the faulty
>>> #+begin_example line?
>> It returns
>> (special-block
>>  (:type "EXAMPLE\n" :begin 8 :end 178 :hiddenp nil :contents-begin 69
>>   :contents-end 157 :post-blank 2 :post-affiliated 48 :attr_html
>>         (":textarea t :width 40")
>>         :parent nil))
>>>
>>> Also, what's the value for `org-element-block-name-alist'?
>>>
>> org-element-block-name-alist is
>> (("CENTER" . org-element-center-block-parser)
>>  ("COMMENT" . org-element-comment-block-parser)
>>  ("EXAMPLE" . org-element-example-block-parser)
>>  ("QUOTE" . org-element-quote-block-parser)
>>  ("SRC" . org-element-src-block-parser)
>>  ("VERSE" . org-element-verse-block-parser))
>>
>> Everything looks fine doesn't it...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Goaziou
>> I'll remove 8.0.3 and go back to 7.8.11, to see if my init is causing issues and
>> update you later today.
>
> Done, everything works fine, I'm starting to think that this is an
> issue with the way
> that I installed org-mode. Actually I followed
> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation
> using the git method exactly.
>
> Finally, if I reinstall it org-version sends the following message,
> which I thought means
> that it is correctly installed and using new files only.
> Org-mode version 8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-165-g60ca9e @
> /home/quazimodo/.emacs.d/vendor/org-mode/lisp/)

Problem found and solved, how do we close things?

lua-mode was modifying stuff in the same syntax table that org-mode
8.0 + was using. lua-mode has updated since and problem is solved, my
repo was out of date. Thanks and sorry about cluttering up the mailing
list. Took a while to figure out what was going on.

https://github.com/immerrr/lua-mode/
1st commit that caused the conflict: c2f8a7f8
1st commit that solved the conflict: 9f5107ef

@ 2013-05-30  7:38                 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-30  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S S; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

S S <super.quazimodo@gmail.com> writes:

> Problem found and solved, how do we close things?

Just let them fade away.

> lua-mode was modifying stuff in the same syntax table that org-mode
> 8.0 + was using. lua-mode has updated since and problem is solved, my
> repo was out of date. Thanks and sorry about cluttering up the mailing
> list. Took a while to figure out what was going on.

It was a strange problem indeed.

> https://github.com/immerrr/lua-mode/
> 1st commit that caused the conflict: c2f8a7f8
> 1st commit that solved the conflict: 9f5107ef

Interesting. Thank you for reporting back that the problem was solved.

Nicolas Goaziou