* babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 17:29 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-05-28 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define (mydouble x)
(+ x x))

  #+END_SRC

produces

org-babel-execute-src-block: Symbol's value as variable is void:
geiser-default-implementation

also, no indentation or color coding of any sort (maybe this isn't a
feature yet?)

LB

* Re: babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 17:49 ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-05-28 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

. . . installed geiser via elpa -- and got some functionality. Although a
simple thing like

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define (mydouble x)
(+ x x))
  #+END_SRC

doesn't seem to remember from one block to the next. So, after defining the
code above

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(mydouble 5)
 #+END_SRC

gives an error, while

 #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define (mysquare x)
  (* x x))
(mysquare 5)
 #+END_SRC

  #+RESULTS:
  : 25

works. Any way to have it remember like a REPL does?

* Re: babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 18:15   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-05-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> . . . installed geiser via elpa -- and got some functionality. Although a simple thing like
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> (define (mydouble x)
> (+ x x))
>   #+END_SRC
>
> doesn't seem to remember from one block to the next. So, after defining the code above
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> (mydouble 5)
>  #+END_SRC
>
> gives an error, while
>
>  #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> (define (mysquare x)
>   (* x x))
> (mysquare 5)
>  #+END_SRC
>
>   #+RESULTS:
>   : 25
>
> works. Any way to have it remember like a REPL does?

Use a session?

* Re: babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 18:37     ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-05-28 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The MIT scheme repl is running in the next buffer. . .
On May 28, 2015 2:16 PM, "Nick Dokos" <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > . . . installed geiser via elpa -- and got some functionality. Although
> a simple thing like
> >
> > #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> > (define (mydouble x)
> > (+ x x))
> >   #+END_SRC
> >
> > doesn't seem to remember from one block to the next. So, after defining
> the code above
> >
> > #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> > (mydouble 5)
> >  #+END_SRC
> >
> > gives an error, while
> >
> >  #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> > (define (mysquare x)
> >   (* x x))
> > (mysquare 5)
> >  #+END_SRC
> >
> >   #+RESULTS:
> >   : 25
> >
> > works. Any way to have it remember like a REPL does?
>
> Use a session?

* Re: babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 19:20       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-05-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> The MIT scheme repl is running in the next buffer. . .

Did you try it?

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme :session foo
 (define (mydouble x)
 (+ x x))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:

doesn't seem to remember from one block to the next. So, after defining the code above

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme :session foo
 (mydouble 5)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 10

Without the session, I get

#+RESULTS
: An error occurred.

instead. This is with guile as the scheme interpreter, but that should
not make any difference.

> On May 28, 2015 2:16 PM, "Nick Dokos" <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > . . . installed geiser via elpa -- and got some functionality. Although a simple thing like
>     >
>     > #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
>     > (define (mydouble x)
>     > (+ x x))
>     >   #+END_SRC
>     >
>     > doesn't seem to remember from one block to the next. So, after defining the code above
>     >
>     > #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
>     > (mydouble 5)
>     >  #+END_SRC
>     >
>     > gives an error, while
>     >
>     >  #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
>     > (define (mysquare x)
>     >   (* x x))
>     > (mysquare 5)
>     >  #+END_SRC
>     >
>     >   #+RESULTS:
>     >   : 25
>     >
>     > works. Any way to have it remember like a REPL does?
>
>     Use a session?

Nick

* Re: babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 19:40         ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-05-28 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, thanks, the :session did the trick. Is that documented somewhere?
Also, it ignored my running MIT Scheme and fired up a Guile REPL in the
next buffer. I guess it's doing something with Geiser, hence, Guile?

* Re: babel scheme not working
@ 2015-05-28 19:56           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-05-28 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, thanks, the :session did the trick. Is that documented somewhere?
> Also, it ignored my running MIT Scheme and fired up a Guile REPL in
> the next buffer. I guess it's doing something with Geiser, hence,
> Guile?

(info "(org) session"):

,----
| The ‘:session’ header argument starts a (possibly named) session for an
| interpreted language where the interpreter’s state is preserved.  All
| code blocks sharing the same name are exectuted by the same interpreter
| process.  By default, a session is not started.
`----

The interpreter that geiser runs is specified in

Nick