* {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-08 21:04 Rick Frankel
From: Rick Frankel @ 2013-02-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi-

Been using the new exporter for a while, and have not had much problem
w/ the migration, but it seems that org-insert-export-options-template
and the associated keybinding in the dispatch menu are gone.

Once the old exporter (org-exp.el) is entirely gone, it's going to be
real difficult (at least for me :) not start a new org file.

Am i missing a replacement function in the new exporter, or has this
functionality been removed entirely?

rick

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-08 21:10 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-02-08 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Been using the new exporter for a while, and have not had much problem
> w/ the migration, but it seems that org-insert-export-options-template
> and the associated keybinding in the dispatch menu are gone.
>
> Once the old exporter (org-exp.el) is entirely gone, it's going to be
> real difficult (at least for me :) not start a new org file.
>
> Am i missing a replacement function in the new exporter, or has this
> functionality been removed entirely?

I guess one option might be org-structure-template-alist.  You could
make different templates and could even customize them based on the
particularities needed.  Probably, however, there is a better approach
that I'm unaware of.

–Rasmus

--
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-08 21:13 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-08 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com> writes:

> Been using the new exporter for a while, and have not had much problem
> w/ the migration, but it seems that org-insert-export-options-template
> and the associated keybinding in the dispatch menu are gone.
>
> Once the old exporter (org-exp.el) is entirely gone, it's going to be
> real difficult (at least for me :) not start a new org file.
>
> Am i missing a replacement function in the new exporter, or has this
> functionality been removed entirely?

It has been removed. Such a template depends on the back-end used, which
was not the case of the previous implementation.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-16 10:39   ` Bastien
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> It has been removed. Such a template depends on the back-end used, which
> was not the case of the previous implementation.

One idea would be to have an equivalent of the now-defunct
`org-insert-export-options-template' but for each backend.

For example `C-c C-e h t' would insert the default template
for the HTML export.

Is anyone interested in this?

--
 Bastien

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-16 10:59     ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2013-02-16 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It has been removed. Such a template depends on the back-end used, which
>> was not the case of the previous implementation.
>
> One idea would be to have an equivalent of the now-defunct
> `org-insert-export-options-template' but for each backend.
>
> For example `C-c C-e h t' would insert the default template
> for the HTML export.
>
> Is anyone interested in this?

Well I found this template very helpful!  I hope there will be an
equivalent to it.

I think (for the beginning) it could be a compilation of *all* back-end
variations (commented out? I don't yet understand the new exporter
concept).

Thanks
--
Best wishes

H. Dieter Wilhelm
Darmstadt
Germany

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-16 15:34     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-02-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> It has been removed. Such a template depends on the back-end used, which
>> was not the case of the previous implementation.
>
> One idea would be to have an equivalent of the now-defunct
> `org-insert-export-options-template' but for each backend.
>
> For example `C-c C-e h t' would insert the default template
> for the HTML export.
>
> Is anyone interested in this?

Not really.  IMO, the old template added to much noise and didn't have
nice defaults.  That's purely subjective, though!

IMO, it would be better to have a section on adopting mechanisms such as
org-structure-template-alist for templates.  Personally, I use
org-latex-classes for rudimentary customizations (letter, problemset,
thesis etc.).

–Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-16 16:57       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-16 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Not really.  IMO, the old template added to much noise and didn't have
> nice defaults.  That's purely subjective, though!

That's what this thread is for -- collect purely subjective
feedback so we can get a rough idea of whether it's useful to
implement this feature or not :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-25 13:15     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-02-25 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> It has been removed. Such a template depends on the back-end used, which
>> was not the case of the previous implementation.
>
> One idea would be to have an equivalent of the now-defunct
> `org-insert-export-options-template' but for each backend.
>
> For example `C-c C-e h t' would insert the default template
> for the HTML export.
>
> Is anyone interested in this?

My personal answer is: yes!

I constantly used it for inserting a title (defaulting to the name of the
file, which is the best default), timestamp, etc.

Regarding Rasmus objections, yes, maybe there are too much defaults inserted,
or not yours. Maybe the template could be customized, but present in the code
base with a common, good default?

If not, anyway, I'll just mimick the old template with a YASnippet.

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- By the way, there is already such a sort of template for Beamer...

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-25 15:46       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello Bastien,
>
> Bastien wrote:
>> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>>> It has been removed. Such a template depends on the back-end used, which
>>> was not the case of the previous implementation.
>>
>> One idea would be to have an equivalent of the now-defunct
>> `org-insert-export-options-template' but for each backend.
>>
>> For example `C-c C-e h t' would insert the default template
>> for the HTML export.
>>
>> Is anyone interested in this?
>
> My personal answer is: yes!
>
> I constantly used it for inserting a title (defaulting to the name of the
> file, which is the best default), timestamp, etc.

You can also type #+ti M-TAB M-TAB to get the same result. It works for
most default keywords.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-02-25 15:51       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-02-25 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey Seb,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 02:15:05PM +0100, Sebastien Vauban wrote:

> PS- By the way, there is already such a sort of template for Beamer...

I believe Nicolas' argument was, for the new exporter such a template
depends on the backend hence a default one for beamer makes sense but
not a backend agnostic template.

I'm not completely sure I follow the argument though, since keywords
like TITLE, DATE, AUTHOR, or even an OPTIONS line seem generic enough
for most backends.  But then I have not thought long enough to spot any
inconsistencies.  :-p

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-05-31 14:46         ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2013-05-31 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A very late follow-up:

I note that the Worg instructions for HTML export still cite
org-insert-export-options-template:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html

* Re: {New exporter] What happened to the export template
@ 2013-06-04 10:17           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-06-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> A very late follow-up:
>
> I note that the Worg instructions for HTML export still cite
> org-insert-export-options-template:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html

Can you fix this?

Please send me your public key if you don't have access to Worg
already, I'll give you push access.

Thanks in advance!

--
 Bastien