* two questions about the new exporter (#+Style: and org-export-html-postamble)
@ 2013-02-19 15:14 Eric Schulte
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-02-19 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

First let me say kudos to Nicolas for the implementation and to him and
Bastien for making the transition, it seems rather like changing the
engine on a plane in mid flight (all while handling a rowdy group of
passengers).

For the first time I'm really using this new exporter, and I have
noticed two thing which surprise me and seem at first glance to be
behaving incorrectly (although it is likely my expectations which are
incorrect).

1. The value of org-export-html-postamble doesn't appear to be honored.
   I often set this variable in a file local line at the top of a file,
   and despite setting it to nil I still see a postamble in my exported
   html.

2. Similarly, I use #+Style: lines at the top of Org-mode files to make
   the CSS changes necessary for my code blocks.  This also doesn't seem
   to be making it through the html export process.

   #+Style: <style type="text/css">pre{background:#232323; color:#E6E1DC;}h1,h2{border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: gray;}</style>

Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: two questions about the new exporter (#+Style: and org-export-html-postamble)
@ 2013-02-19 16:41 ` Nick Dokos
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-02-19 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First let me say kudos to Nicolas for the implementation and to him and
> Bastien for making the transition, it seems rather like changing the
> engine on a plane in mid flight (all while handling a rowdy group of
> passengers).
>
> For the first time I'm really using this new exporter, and I have
> noticed two thing which surprise me and seem at first glance to be
> behaving incorrectly (although it is likely my expectations which are
> incorrect).
>
> 1. The value of org-export-html-postamble doesn't appear to be honored.
>    I often set this variable in a file local line at the top of a file,
>    and despite setting it to nil I still see a postamble in my exported
>    html.

Rainer had the same question. I believe such variables are considered
backend-specific and so the names have been changed: they've lost the
"export-" part.

In general, you might want to try changing the name and trying again.

Presumably that will be clarified when the documentation is available,
but for now I hope it's a reasonable guideline (but subject to corrections).

Nick

* Re: two questions about the new exporter (#+Style: and org-export-html-postamble)
@ 2013-02-19 17:08 ` Bastien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. The value of org-export-html-postamble doesn't appear to be honored.
>    I often set this variable in a file local line at the top of a file,
>    and despite setting it to nil I still see a postamble in my exported
>    html.

You need to use `org-html-postamble' instead of
`org-export-html-postamble'.

In general, the org-export-* prefix is for cross-exporters variables,
while backend-specific variables are names after the prefix of the
relevant backend.  I recently updated the manual wrt this, but this
needs more work.

> 2. Similarly, I use #+Style: lines at the top of Org-mode files to make
>    the CSS changes necessary for my code blocks.  This also doesn't seem
>    to be making it through the html export process.

Use #+HTML_STYLE

Several users (T.F. Torrey, Sébastien) suggested to use HTML_HEAD
instead, which I tend to find better too.  Just not had the time
to make the change so far.

>    #+Style: <style type="text/css">pre{background:#232323; color:#E6E1DC;}h1,h2{border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: gray;}</style>
>
> Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thanks for trying the new exporters!!

Hope this gets you started in the right direction,

--
 Bastien

* Re: two questions about the new exporter (#+Style: and org-export-html-postamble)
@ 2013-02-19 17:12 ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2013-02-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Eric,

On 19.02.2013, at 16:14, Eric Schulte wrote:

> First let me say kudos to Nicolas for the implementation and to him and
> Bastien for making the transition, it seems rather like changing the
> engine on a plane in mid flight (all while handling a rowdy group of
> passengers).

+1

> 1. The value of org-export-html-postamble doesn't appear to be honored.
>   I often set this variable in a file local line at the top of a file,
>   and despite setting it to nil I still see a postamble in my exported
>   html.

When publishing a project it works fine with
org-html-postamble.

> 2. Similarly, I use #+Style: lines at the top of Org-mode files to make
>   the CSS changes necessary for my code blocks.  This also doesn't seem
>   to be making it through the html export process.
>
>   #+Style: <style type="text/css">pre{background:#232323; color:#E6E1DC;}h1,h2{border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: gray;}</style>

I believe, it should be
html_style
now.

Warm regards,
 Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: two questions about the new exporter (#+Style: and org-export-html-postamble)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-02-19 18:00 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-02-19 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> First let me say kudos to Nicolas for the implementation and to him and
> Bastien for making the transition, it seems rather like changing the
> engine on a plane in mid flight (all while handling a rowdy group of
> passengers).

Note the *criminally* insane, in the passage below.  Such people are
worse than mere rogues.

Real-life often supports and but oddly enough also challenges
stereotypes.

,---- http://www.amazon.com/The-Professor-Madman-Insanity-Dictionary/dp/0060839783
| The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently
| written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible
| obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford
| English Dictionary -- and literary history. The compilation of the OED
| began in 1857, it was one of the most ambitious projects ever
| undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led
| by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had
| submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on
| honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American
| Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally
| insane.
`----

ps: I haven't read the book myself but seems like good and an
interesting read.

* Switching to the new exporter (was: two questions about the new exporter (#+Style: and org-export-html-postamble))
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-02-19 18:41 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I updated the notes on Worg:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#new-exporter-switch

Let's keep this FAQ as accurate as possible while we are
moving toward Org 8.0.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien