* make doc failing
@ 2013-12-28  3:36 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-28  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After latest pull make doc is failing to make org.pdf

Lots of stuff ending with
---------------------------
Output written on org.pdf (259 pages, 976592 bytes).
Transcript written on org.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdftex exited with bad status, quitting.
make[1]: *** [org.pdf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/pdsw/org-mode/doc'
make: *** [pdf] Error 2

But I cant seem to find org.log
And there is no org.pdf in doc

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-28  5:01 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-28  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> After latest pull make doc is failing to make org.pdf
>
> Lots of stuff ending with
> ---------------------------
> Output written on org.pdf (259 pages, 976592 bytes).
> Transcript written on org.log.
> /usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdftex exited with bad status, quitting.
> make[1]: *** [org.pdf] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/pdsw/org-mode/doc'
> make: *** [pdf] Error 2
>
> But I cant seem to find org.log
> And there is no org.pdf in doc

Further:
Went into doc directory and did
$ texi2dvi org.texi
no (visible) error
followed by
$ dvipdf org.dvi

Seems to be working

--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-29  5:07 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-12-29  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> After latest pull make doc is failing to make org.pdf
>
> Lots of stuff ending with
> ---------------------------
> Output written on org.pdf (259 pages, 976592 bytes).
> Transcript written on org.log.
> /usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdftex exited with bad status, quitting.
> make[1]: *** [org.pdf] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/pdsw/org-mode/doc'
> make: *** [pdf] Error 2
>
> But I cant seem to find org.log
> And there is no org.pdf in doc

I tried last night and again tonight after pulling: I get no errors
with `make doc'.

--
Nick

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-29 17:15   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-29 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick wrote:
> I tried last night and again tonight after pulling: I get no errors
> with `make doc'.

And I continue to get the errors with no doc (pdf) built.
I can attach the build messages (800 lines)
For now some snippets of what I see

git pull
Already up-to-date.

texi2pdf --batch --clean --expand org.texi
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "C        "

Cannot open load file: ob-sh
-----------------
Note that locale returns as follows:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-29 17:58     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-12-29 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Nick wrote:
>> I tried last night and again tonight after pulling: I get no errors
>> with `make doc'.
>
> And I continue to get the errors with no doc (pdf) built.
> I can attach the build messages (800 lines)
> For now some snippets of what I see
>
> git pull
> Already up-to-date.
>
> texi2pdf --batch --clean --expand org.texi
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>     LANGUAGE = (unset),
>     LC_ALL = (unset),
>     LANG = "C        "
>     are supported and installed on your system.

Where does perl come into the picture? Both texi2pdf and the program it
calls, texi2dvi, are shell scripts. The only references to perl I find
are in the run_hevea() function of texi2dvi and in the target making
the orgcard in the doc Makefile. But that should not cause the PDF
manual problems

> Cannot open load file: ob-sh

ob-sh does not exist any more. Check your local.mk and delete it if it's
there - I had the same problem because I had added it to
BTEST_OB_LANGUAGES.

Nick

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-30  2:21     ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-30  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick wrote:

> > texi2pdf --batch --clean --expand org.texi
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >     LANGUAGE = (unset),
> >     LC_ALL = (unset),
> >     LANG = "C        "
> >     are supported and installed on your system.

> Where does perl come into the picture? Both texi2pdf and the program it
> calls, texi2dvi, are shell scripts. The only references to perl I find
> are in the run_hevea() function of texi2dvi and in the target making
> the orgcard in the doc Makefile. But that should not cause the PDF
> manual problems

texinfo has been ported to perl:
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7507
I find makeinfo and texi2html at least are perl

$ makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 5.2

Is yours the same?

> > Cannot open load file: ob-sh

> ob-sh does not exist any more. Check your local.mk and delete it if it's
> there - I had the same problem because I had added it to
> BTEST_OB_LANGUAGES.

Nothing in local.mk but I find a testing/lisp/test-ob-sh.el
Is my git remote misdirected by any chance?

$ git remote -v show
origin    git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git (fetch)
origin    git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git (push)

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-30  5:47       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-12-30  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> > texi2pdf --batch --clean --expand org.texi
>> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>> >     LANGUAGE = (unset),
>> >     LC_ALL = (unset),
>> >     LANG = "C        "
>> >     are supported and installed on your system.
>
>> Where does perl come into the picture? Both texi2pdf and the program it
>> calls, texi2dvi, are shell scripts. The only references to perl I find
>> are in the run_hevea() function of texi2dvi and in the target making
>> the orgcard in the doc Makefile. But that should not cause the PDF
>> manual problems
>
> texinfo has been ported to perl:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7507
> I find makeinfo and texi2html at least are perl
>
> $ makeinfo --version
> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 5.2
>
> Is yours the same?

No, mine is 4.13 - apparently before the perl switcheroo.

>> > Cannot open load file: ob-sh
>
>> ob-sh does not exist any more. Check your local.mk and delete it if it's
>> there - I had the same problem because I had added it to
>> BTEST_OB_LANGUAGES.
>
> Nothing in local.mk but I find a testing/lisp/test-ob-sh.el

That's OK I think. You might want to search for a (require 'ob-sh) in
your tree however.

> Is my git remote misdirected by any chance?
>
> $ git remote -v show
> origin    git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git (fetch)
> origin    git://repo.or.cz/org-mode.git (push)

That's probably OK - afaik, the repo.or.cz mirror may be a bit behind
at times but it should not matter very much. The canonical place however
is git://orgmode.org/org-mode.

Nick

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-30  5:57       ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-30  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick wrote:
> Rusi wrote:
> > $ makeinfo --version
> > makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 5.2
> >
> > Is yours the same?
> >

> No, mine is 4.13 - apparently before the perl switcheroo.

And doc/Makefile has:

%.pdf:        LC_ALL=C    # work around a bug in texi2dvi
%.pdf:        LANG=C        # work around a bug in texi2dvi
%.pdf:        %.texi org-version.inc
    $(TEXI2PDF) $<

Commenting out the LC/LANG lines makes the perl warning go away

Generation is still a problem
Works from command line texi2dvi
Fails with make doc

In short texi2dvi works texi2pdf fails

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-30 10:06         ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2013-12-30 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
** Rustom Mody [2013-12-30 11:27:46 +0530]:

> Nick wrote:
>> Rusi wrote:
>>> $ makeinfo --version
>>> makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 5.2

>>> Is yours the same?

>> No, mine is 4.13 - apparently before the perl switcheroo.

> And doc/Makefile has:

> %.pdf:        LC_ALL=C    # work around a bug in texi2dvi
> %.pdf:        LANG=C        # work around a bug in texi2dvi
> %.pdf:        %.texi org-version.inc
>     $(TEXI2PDF) $<

> Commenting out the LC/LANG lines makes the perl warning go away

> Generation is still a problem
> Works from command line texi2dvi
> Fails with make doc

> In short texi2dvi works texi2pdf fails

Try to add -q option to TEXI2PDF, I resolved that issue when texinfo 5.0
(actually I don't remember when, though could dig git log of my repo)
apperead in my distro (Archlinux).

P.S.
If you are interesed how I do this, see this file (package build script),
https://github.com/vp1981/pkgbuild/blob/master/emacs-org-mode/PKGBUILD
especially line with TEXI2PDF.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Oppernockity tunes but once.

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-30 10:33         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-30 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 30.12.2013 06:57, schrieb Rustom Mody:
> And doc/Makefile has:
>
> %.pdf:        LC_ALL=C    # work around a bug in texi2dvi
> %.pdf:        LANG=C        # work around a bug in texi2dvi
> %.pdf:        %.texi org-version.inc
>      $(TEXI2PDF) $<
>
> Commenting out the LC/LANG lines makes the perl warning go away

The error should go away if you remove the comments.  Let me know if
that works for you, I'll check in a fix in a few days.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-30 15:23           ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-30 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Vladimir Lomov wrote:
>> In short texi2dvi works texi2pdf fails
>
> Try to add -q option to TEXI2PDF, I resolved that issue when texinfo 5.0
> (actually I don't remember when, though could dig git log of my repo)
> apperead in my distro (Archlinux).
>
> P.S.
> If you are interesed how I do this, see this file (package build script),
> https://github.com/vp1981/pkgbuild/blob/master/emacs-org-mode/PKGBUILD
> especially line with TEXI2PDF.

No -q does not help

Likewise Achim:

> The error should go away if you remove the comments.  Let me know if
> that works for you, I'll check in a fix in a few days.

The perl warning goes if those those LC_ALL/LANG lines are commented out
However the pdf generation still fails

However texi2dvi works (maybe with some strange artifacts in the pdf
-- not checked details) and then dvipdf.

Also removing the --expand seems to make it work without errors

* Re: make doc failing
@ 2013-12-31  5:12             ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-12-31  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode