* Syntax inconsistency?
@ 2014-11-03  1:31 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-03  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

just wondering: on one hand, we have lines like

On the other hand, we have

#+ATTR_ASCII: :width 10

Why is the syntax (seemingly, at least) inconsistent?  Why not
`width:10' or `:toc nil'?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Syntax inconsistency?
@ 2014-11-03  8:28 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-03  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> just wondering: on one hand, we have lines like

This is a keyword.

> On the other hand, we have
>
> #+ATTR_ASCII: :width 10

This is an attribute.

> Why is the syntax (seemingly, at least) inconsistent?  Why not
> `width:10' or `:toc nil'?

These are two different things, so there is no real reason to make them
look like each other. Also, and more importantly, moving OPTIONS to the
other syntax is, IMO, unreadable:

Note there is also another syntax type, e.g.,:

 #+TOC: headlines 2

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Syntax inconsistency?
@ 2014-11-03 13:17   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-03 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-03, at 09:28, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> just wondering: on one hand, we have lines like

> This is a keyword.
>
>> On the other hand, we have
>>
>> #+ATTR_ASCII: :width 10
>
> This is an attribute.
>
>> Why is the syntax (seemingly, at least) inconsistent?  Why not
>> `width:10' or `:toc nil'?
>
> These are two different things, so there is no real reason to make them
> look like each other. Also, and more importantly, moving OPTIONS to the
> other syntax is, IMO, unreadable:

> Note there is also another syntax type, e.g.,:
>
>  #+TOC: headlines 2

Thanks for your clarifications!  Things seem still a bit hazy for me,
but I guess I'll have to live with it:-).

> Regards,

Best,