From: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Subject: Interactively add refile targets - was: refile ideas
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:00:16 +0200	[thread overview]

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On 2009-08-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you mark some headlines (for example you remember targets)
>> with a tag like "r", you could make yourself a restricted
>> refile command like this:
>>
>> (defun my-org-restricted-refile ()
>>    (interactive)
>>    (let ((org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :tag . "r"))))
>>      (call-interactively 'org-refile)))
>>
>> Not what you proposed, but maybe useful.

Sorry, for not following the original thread closely. But the above
function does something, I missed when refiling, too. A way to add
refile targets on the fly.

The refile mechanism depends on agenda files and files below
`org-directory' or a somewhat static setup, which is insufficient for
most of my use cases. I often take notes for just any of my project
using a limited set templates (limited, because I don't want to choose
out of many templates for better overview and less thinking while
storing via remember).

But when it comes to refiling, I need to spread all those notes to
several directories, scattered all over the place. I therefor have
`org-refile-targets' set to:

((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
 (sr-org-refile-targets :maxlevel . 2))

In addition, I use the (far from perfect) functions below. They make it
possible, to add any directory to my refile targets on-the-fly, which is
what I prefer. `sr-add-to-org-refile-targets' adds all *.org files in a
directory to my targets, with a prefix arg (`C-u ....') recursively.

Since a big number of refile targets slows down refiling a lot (the only
area I ever felt a slow down in Org-mode so far), a function to remove
refile targets again (recursively, too) is still missing. Also, a
function to add or remove single files is missing.