From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: refile ideas
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:28:03 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> With ido completion, refiling works excellently.  Here are
> more ideas.
>
> First (and foremost), input history for refiling recalls the user's
> input, not refile targets.  I think the latter would work
> better, because in ordinary use, the user can specify
> further with C-SPC and arrow keys.  So the first completion
> candidate for any of the history items can be different from
> the target that it originally specified.  Thus, the natural
> action of up arrows can specify an unexpected location.
> Even when the user notices the problem, he has to specify
> further to duplicate the effort if he wants the original
> target.
>
> In my use since ido completion began, I almost never want
> the original string, and almost always want the original
> target.  I don't know if others use refile history differently.
>
> Thus, the proposal is to have the history contain the
> fully-specified targets.

This is a good idea, and it works now just so.

> The next idea is that we already have a specification of
> potentially useful targets in remember templates.  I wonder
> if a useful interface (perhaps a triple c-u to org-refile or
> perhaps using remember) can allow the user to use the
> remember templates to specify a target location.  Thus a
> single key can uniquely specify a target without the user
> having to verify.

This is not easy, the remember and refile interfaces
do not easily mix.  Here is an alternative idea:

If you mark some headlines (for example you remember targets)
with a tag like "r", you could make yourself a restricted
refile command like this:

(defun my-org-restricted-refile ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :tag . "r"))))
     (call-interactively 'org-refile)))

Not what you proposed, but maybe useful.

Most of the ideas below require hacking ido.el, which I am not
ready to do.  In particular, coloring the vertical bars should
be a feature request to Kim.

Coloring the path, or uniquifying the path is something that
*might* work on the Org side, and I have added these to my
list.

- Carsten