From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: refile ideas
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:31:55 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Carsten,

On 2009-08-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you mark some headlines (for example you remember targets)
> with a tag like "r", you could make yourself a restricted
> refile command like this:
>
> (defun my-org-restricted-refile ()
>    (interactive)
>    (let ((org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :tag . "r"))))
>      (call-interactively 'org-refile)))
>
> Not what you proposed, but maybe useful.

I like it.

It gives me an idea for remember.  For consistency, we can
optionally make remember use restricted refile as you
propose above.

The way it would work is this.  A template can optionally
specify only format, not target location.  When that is the
case, c-c c-c in the remember buffer asks you where you want
to file using restricted refile.

I would definitely use this, because I want to have the time
between idea and text as short as possible.  Deciding the
target location does not need to happen before the text.

This would allow reduction of remember templates to just the
ones that have different formats.

It would allow you to remember to different locations from a
given template, and different templates to a given location,
without increasing the number of templates or going to a
full refile interface.

In my case, a full refile interface is /very/ slow when it gathers
candidates.  But a restricted refile is much faster and reduces human
error.