* how to speed up an org-mode file?
@ 2016-07-10 14:37 Sharon Kimble
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-07-10 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

I'm working on an org-mode file about cancer which is 945.1kb, is
converted to a tex file of 1.0mb and a pdf of 2.0mb with 505 pages. The
conversion is done through this code snippet '(global-set-key (kbd
"s-#") 'org-latex-export-to-latex)'. There is no problem with the
conversion to tex or conversion to pdf.

However, the org-mode file is increasingly slowing down and becoming
difficult to move about within the file, and also enter new information
within it.

How then can I speed it up within the org file please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.95

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to speed up an org-mode file?
@ 2016-07-10 17:53 ` Leo Noordhuizen
From: Leo Noordhuizen @ 2016-07-10 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble, org-mode-email

Maybe an (too ?) obvious suggestion: Get more memory ?

@ 2016-07-10 19:04   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-07-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Noordhuizen; +Cc: org-mode-email

Leo Noordhuizen <leo.noordhuizen@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe an (too ?) obvious suggestion: Get more memory ?

I'm working on a computer with 16g of ram and 31g of swap, which would
be adequate for almost anything I think. At the moment getting more ram
isn't a viable option, I have to stick with what I've already got.

Thanks
Sharon.

@ 2016-07-10 19:37     ` Leo Noordhuizen
From: Leo Noordhuizen @ 2016-07-10 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Yes. You obviously have ample resources in that area!

@ 2016-07-10 22:34 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-07-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Noordhuizen, Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu org

I find it sometimes helpful to narrow to a section in large documents.

@ 2016-07-11  0:37 ` Alan Tyree
From: Alan Tyree @ 2016-07-11  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Leo Noordhuizen, emacs-orgmode@gnu org, Sharon Kimble

There must be something more than this. I sometimes work on a similar size
file on an HP Chromebook using emacs in a Crouton installation and have no
problems at all with speed. It is a nox emacs installation, if that matters.

Alan

On 11 July 2016 at 08:34, John Kitchin <johnrkitchin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find it sometimes helpful to narrow to a section in large documents.
>

> On July 10, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Leo Noordhuizen <leo.noordhuizen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Yes. You obviously have ample resources in that area!
>
> Op zo 10 jul. 2016 21:05 schreef Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com
> >:
>
>> Leo Noordhuizen <leo.noordhuizen@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Maybe an (too ?) obvious suggestion: Get more memory ?
>>
>> I'm working on a computer with 16g of ram and 31g of swap, which would
>> be adequate for almost anything I think. At the moment getting more ram
>> isn't a viable option, I have to stick with what I've already got.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharon.
>> >
>> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 at 16:37 Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     I'm working on an org-mode file about cancer which is 945.1kb, is
>> >     converted to a tex file of 1.0mb and a pdf of 2.0mb with 505 pages.
>> The
>> >     conversion is done through this code snippet '(global-set-key (kbd
>> >     "s-#") 'org-latex-export-to-latex)'. There is no problem with the
>> >     conversion to tex or conversion to pdf.
>> >
>> >     However, the org-mode file is increasingly slowing down and becoming
>> >     difficult to move about within the file, and also enter new
>> information
>> >     within it.
>> >
>> >     How then can I speed it up within the org file please?
>> >
>> --
>> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
>> TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
>> Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.95

Tel:  04 2748 6206

* Re: how to speed up an org-mode file?
@ 2016-07-12  1:32 ` Grant Rettke
       [not found]   ` <acfda56c2dbb4102a003f69f945426b4@DB5PR01MB1895.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Grant Rettke @ 2016-07-12  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Try approaching this the same way that you would prepare an ECM:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html

Start Emacs with a stable version of Org-Mode, without any additional
configuration.

Is the performance what you expect?

FWIW: two things that sped up my rather small in comparison Org-Mode files
were:
- Switching from linum to nlinum
- #+STARTUP: showeverything

Sincerely,

Grant Rettke

@ 2016-07-12 13:55   ` Leslie Watter
       [not found]   ` <acfda56c2dbb4102a003f69f945426b4@DB5PR01MB1895.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Leslie Watter @ 2016-07-12 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: org-mode-email, Sharon Kimble

IMHO if you can split the file in more than one .org file you'll get a
better experience.

I've been working on machines with less than 8Gb of ram in files that are
bigger than yours ( 1.2Mb org with lots of latex, R and other things )
and haven't got a trouble.

One thing that 've noticed is that, if I start the whole text shown,
manipulating the file is much slower than if I got only the section I'll
work on at that time. You'll probably should give it a try, e.g. opening
only the section you'll work on.

Cheers,

Leslie

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com>
wrote:

> Try approaching this the same way that you would prepare an ECM:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html
>
> Start Emacs with a stable version of Org-Mode, without any additional
> configuration.
>
> Is the performance what you expect?
>
> FWIW: two things that sped up my rather small in comparison Org-Mode files
> were:
> - Switching from linum to nlinum
> - #+STARTUP: showeverything
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Grant Rettke
>
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com
> > wrote:
>

>> I'm working on an org-mode file about cancer which is 945.1kb, is
>> converted to a tex file of 1.0mb and a pdf of 2.0mb with 505 pages. The
>> conversion is done through this code snippet '(global-set-key (kbd
>> "s-#") 'org-latex-export-to-latex)'. There is no problem with the
>> conversion to tex or conversion to pdf.
>>
>> However, the org-mode file is increasingly slowing down and becoming
>> difficult to move about within the file, and also enter new information
>> within it.
>>
>> How then can I speed it up within the org file please?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharon.
>> --
>> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
>> TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
>> Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.95

--
Leslie H. Watter

@ 2016-07-12 14:12     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-07-12 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leslie Watter; +Cc: Sharon Kimble, org-mode-email, Grant Rettke

My experience is that (non-trivially sized) tables really slow down org
mode, especially if there is more than one in a "section".  I am not
sure why this is, however.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.4-869-gf2c421

* Re: how to speed up an org-mode file?
@ 2016-07-17 10:23 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-17 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm working on an org-mode file about cancer which is 945.1kb, is
> converted to a tex file of 1.0mb and a pdf of 2.0mb with 505 pages. The
> conversion is done through this code snippet '(global-set-key (kbd
> "s-#") 'org-latex-export-to-latex)'. There is no problem with the
> conversion to tex or conversion to pdf.
>
> However, the org-mode file is increasingly slowing down and becoming
> difficult to move about within the file, and also enter new information
> within it.
>
> How then can I speed it up within the org file please?

It would help to have some profiling to determine where the bottleneck
is. You could use `elp-instrument-package' on "org-" prefix and report
results here.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: how to speed up an org-mode file?
@ 2016-07-18 11:49   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-07-18 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> I'm working on an org-mode file about cancer which is 945.1kb, is
>> converted to a tex file of 1.0mb and a pdf of 2.0mb with 505 pages. The
>> conversion is done through this code snippet '(global-set-key (kbd
>> "s-#") 'org-latex-export-to-latex)'. There is no problem with the
>> conversion to tex or conversion to pdf.
>>
>> However, the org-mode file is increasingly slowing down and becoming
>> difficult to move about within the file, and also enter new information
>> within it.
>>
>> How then can I speed it up within the org file please?
>
> It would help to have some profiling to determine where the bottleneck
> is. You could use `elp-instrument-package' on "org-" prefix and report
> results here.

What I've done has been to split the cancer file up into 2, cancer.org
being 445k, and cancer-1.org being 544k. I initially had misgivings
about it with regard to footnotes, but they seem to be working okay, and
both files are now very easy to add to and also move around in.

@ 2016-07-18 12:04     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-07-18 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> What I've done has been to split the cancer file up into 2, cancer.org
> being 445k, and cancer-1.org being 544k. I initially had misgivings
> about it with regard to footnotes, but they seem to be working okay, and
> both files are now very easy to add to and also move around in.

OK.

In any case, anytime you happen to witness slowness when using Org,
please send a profiling report so that we can try to improve it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: how to speed up an org-mode file?
@ 2016-07-29  4:02     ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-07-29  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

Sorry for the late reply, but I thought I would add, the problem is
likely some other packages you have activated, or maybe some particular
combination of org-mode settings.  As someone else suggested, starting
with a clean Emacs configuration and adding packages one-by-one will
probably reveal the problem.  I'm guessing that running "emacs -Q" won't
have the speed problem, because the file size you mentioned isn't too
large for Org to handle well.

I remember talking to someone on /r/emacs about an org-mode speed
problem with large files, and he solved the problem by disabling a
package or setting that was behaving badly.

Let us know what you find!  :)