* A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
@ 2006-03-12  0:54 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2006-03-12  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Before I discovered org-mode (and Remember Mode)
I had a small customisation in my .emacs file to open
a "Journal file", go to the end of the file, insert the data
and time, then allow me to enter a note. I would save the buffer
and close it.

Now that I am using org-mode, I made some modifications
to write my notes to a file "journal.org" and bind a
key combination to invoke the function.

So when I am using Emacs I can quickly write notes by
entering the command C-c n

I use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 running on Windows XP

Maybe this functionality could be added to org-mode?

Here are the lines from .emacs

(defun journal ()
   (interactive)
   ; customise the following line for your file name
   (find-file "c:/homes/charles/journal.org")
   (end-of-buffer)
   (insert "\n** Topic: ")
   (insert-datetime-string)
   (insert "\n")
)

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c n") 'journal)

(defun insert-datetime-string ()
   "Insert a nicely formated date time string."
   (interactive)
   (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d %a %H:%M" ))
)

* Re: A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
@ 2006-03-12  7:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-12  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This feels to me like a short version of what remember does.  So why
don't you just use remember for this and get a link back to where you
were when you decided to make this entry?

- Carsten

On Mar 12, 2006, at 1:54, Charles Cave wrote:

> Before I discovered org-mode (and Remember Mode)
> I had a small customisation in my .emacs file to open
> a "Journal file", go to the end of the file, insert the data
> and time, then allow me to enter a note. I would save the buffer
> and close it.
>
> Now that I am using org-mode, I made some modifications
> to write my notes to a file "journal.org" and bind a
> key combination to invoke the function.
>
> So when I am using Emacs I can quickly write notes by
> entering the command C-c n
>
> I use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 running on Windows XP
>
> Maybe this functionality could be added to org-mode?
>

> Here are the lines from .emacs
>
> (defun journal ()
>   (interactive)
>   ; customise the following line for your file name
>   (find-file "c:/homes/charles/journal.org")
>   (end-of-buffer)
>   (insert "\n** Topic: ")
>   (insert-datetime-string)
>   (insert "\n")
> )
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c n") 'journal)
>
> (defun insert-datetime-string ()
>   "Insert a nicely formated date time string."
>   (interactive)
>   (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d %a %H:%M" ))
> )

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
@ 2006-03-13 21:33   ` Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2006-03-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> This feels to me like a short version of what remember does.

I am not quite sure that it is, primarily because I do not think there
is a way to customise the format of the headline that is inserted to
give the style of entry that Charles wants.

> Why don't you just use remember for this and get a link back to where you
> were when you decided to make this entry?

For a while I did use the org-remember way of jotting notes but in the
end gave up as it didn't seem to save me much time.  For example:

1. Typically the headlines in my "journal" are of the form

   * [2006-02-24 Fri 11:14] Something I have just thought of...

   I almost always use C-u C-c ! to produce that style of time stamp,
   which I like and which is consistent with the other active and
   inactive time stamps in my org files.  Unfortunately the remember
   function just uses current-time-string if it is automatically
   creating the headline which isn't really what I want.  If I
   enter the headline directly in the remember buffer (by starting
   with a *) then I have to manually create the time stamp or bind
   org-time-stamp-inactive to a key or some such thing and I have not
   gained much.

2. Similarly, I couldn't come up with a neat way to enter a
   scheduled/deadline TODO item through this method.  If for example I
   enter:

   ------
   TODO Something needs to be done
   ------

   in the remember buffer it ends up as an entry like:

   ** Mon Mar 13 09:50:23 2006 (TODO Something needs to be done)
      TODO Something needs to be done

   <file:~/docs/.notes>

   I then found myself editing this in order to turn it into a
   recognised TODO entry and also to delete the repeated text that I
   didn't want.  That really negated the speed of using the function
   in the first place.

I don't suppose though that it is easy to generalise what people
might want the remember function to do.  Personally I think I would
find something like the following useful.

1. Enter plain text like

   ------
   Something interesting I have just thought of...

   Blah, blah
   ------

   in the remember buffer and get an entry like

   ------
   ** [2006-02-24 Fri 11:14] Something interesting I have just thought of...

      Blah, blah

      <file:~/docs/.notes>
   ------

   in my notes file.

2. Enter text with some keyword in the remember buffer e.g.

   ------
   TODO Something I really must do
   ------

   and get an entry like

   ------
   ** TODO Something I really must do
      DEADLINE: <2006-03-13 Mon 10:27>

      <file:~/docs/.notes>
   ------

Regards,

Phil

* Re: A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
@ 2006-03-14  9:28     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-14  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Rooke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 13, 2006, at 22:33, Philip Rooke wrote:
> I am not quite sure that it is, primarily because I do not think there
> is a way to customise the format of the headline that is inserted to
> give the style of entry that Charles wants.

Yes, this is true.  Right now I am imposing a certain style and don't
allow a customization of that.  I guess that could be done, but would
be hard to get general enough to make it work for everyone.

> For a while I did use the org-remember way of jotting notes but in the
> end gave up as it didn't seem to save me much time.  For example:

[...]

Yes, this is correct.  Currently no way to do this.

> I don't suppose though that it is easy to generalise what people
> might want the remember function to do.  Personally I think I would
> find something like the following useful.
>
> 1. Enter plain text like
>
>    ------
>    Something interesting I have just thought of...
>
>    Blah, blah
>    ------
>
>    in the remember buffer and get an entry like
>
>    ------
>    ** [2006-02-24 Fri 11:14] Something interesting I have just thought
> of...
>
>       Blah, blah
>
>       <file:~/docs/.notes>

I guess this would be easy to generalize, with some kind of format
variable.

> 2. Enter text with some keyword in the remember buffer e.g.
>
>    ------
>    TODO Something I really must do
>    ------
>
>    and get an entry like
>
>    ------
>    ** TODO Something I really must do
>       DEADLINE: <2006-03-13 Mon 10:27>

This would be harder.  How should we guess the date/time for the
deadline?

I  also just realize that it might be handy to have org-mode active
when editing the entry, to be able to do the timestamps and other
things while editing the entry.

Hmm, I can see two way to modify this:

1. modify the remember mechanism, basically giving the user more rope,
for example along these lines:
    - by setting a default template that could contain current time
stamps etc.
    - calling a hook before and after you edid the remember entry, booth
hooks could be
      used to modify the entry
    - Invoke org-mode for that buffer and install a special key (C-c
C-c) to get out and file the   entry.  In particular without inserting
a timestamp after editing, so that TODO entries would remain active.

2. Doing it the way Charles proposed, but just going to the journal
file and making that entry by hand.  This would give you full control
about where and how to place the entry.  Disadvantages with this
approach are that it maybe a little bit less fast to find a certain
location in the tree.  Also, you would use your window setup.  This is
one of the nice things in Remember, that you really get back to where
you started before making the note, without additional actions.

Comments?

- Carsten
--

@ 2006-03-14 13:26       ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2006-03-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 10:28 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I  also just realize that it might be handy to have org-mode active
> when editing the entry, to be able to do the timestamps and other
> things while editing the entry.
>
> Hmm, I can see two way to modify this:
>
> 1. modify the remember mechanism, basically giving the user more rope,
> for example along these lines:

I think something like this is the way to go.  I currently don't use
remember as much as I should, mainly because of the hardcoded headline
formatting.  Having org-mode or a subset thereof (TODO, timestamps)
available in remember buffers, and leaving the user's headline alone
except for adding the right number of *s would be really useful to me.

| Jason F. McBrayer                         jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
|  "If you wish to make Pythocles wealthy, don't give him more   |
|   money; rather, reduce his desires."            -- Epicurus   |

* Re: A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
@ 2006-03-14 21:31       ` Philip Rooke
From: Philip Rooke @ 2006-03-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>    ------
>>    TODO Something I really must do
>>    ------
>>    and get an entry like
>>    ------
>>    ** TODO Something I really must do
>>       DEADLINE: <2006-03-13 Mon 10:27>
>
> This would be harder.  How should we guess the date/time for the
> deadline?

This is clearly something related to my own preferred method of time
and task management rather than something I would expect anyone to
agree with.

Having said that the remember interface is, I think, about allowing
you to make a note very quickly whilst concentrating on some other
task.  In this case what I would like to do is automatically capture
the TODO item with a deadline of today (the day I make the note).
This forces the item immediately onto my agenda and then becomes
something I should deal with.  By this I mean I have to deal with the
note today, *not* its implied content.  At some point in the day I put
aside time to go through these "remembered notes" and sort them out:
quickly return a call, pass on the action elsewhere, re-schedule to a
realistic date, copy off to another org file that is dealing with the
issue, re-consider or re-draft a more appropriate action etc....

> 1. modify the remember mechanism, basically giving the user more rope,
> for example along these lines:
>    - by setting a default template that could contain current time
> stamps etc.
>    - calling a hook before and after you edid the remember entry,
> booth hooks could be
>      used to modify the entry
>    - Invoke org-mode for that buffer and install a special key (C-c
> C-c) to get out and file the   entry.  In particular without inserting
> a timestamp after editing, so that TODO entries would remain active.

All potentially sound good to me.

> 2. Doing it the way Charles proposed, but just going to the journal
> file and making that entry by hand.

This similar to what I currently do using a home brewed mixture of
standard Emacs bookmark functionality and escreen (to stop messing up
whatever window configuration I happen to have running).  Not pretty
though.  Would personally prefer something along the lines of 1.

Regards,

Phil