* A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
@ 2006-03-12  0:54 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2006-03-12  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Before I discovered org-mode (and Remember Mode)
I had a small customisation in my .emacs file to open
a "Journal file", go to the end of the file, insert the data
and time, then allow me to enter a note. I would save the buffer
and close it.

Now that I am using org-mode, I made some modifications
to write my notes to a file "journal.org" and bind a
key combination to invoke the function.

So when I am using Emacs I can quickly write notes by
entering the command C-c n

I use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 running on Windows XP

Maybe this functionality could be added to org-mode?

Here are the lines from .emacs

(defun journal ()
   (interactive)
   ; customise the following line for your file name
   (find-file "c:/homes/charles/journal.org")
   (end-of-buffer)
   (insert "\n** Topic: ")
   (insert-datetime-string)
   (insert "\n")
)

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c n") 'journal)

(defun insert-datetime-string ()
   "Insert a nicely formated date time string."
   (interactive)
   (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d %a %H:%M" ))
)