* Linked tasks
@ 2014-06-14  7:43 Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-06-14  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I was wondering if there was a way to link the status of two tasks in an
agenda file (or even across multiple agenda files). Sometimes, a single
task (in my case, updating my CV) might be a useful step in two different
projects. If the tasks is marked DONE in one project (in one subtree), I
would like the other one to be marked DONE as well. Is it possible or even
implemented?

Cheers,

FC

* Re: Linked tasks
@ 2014-06-14  8:19 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-14  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fletcher Charest <fletcher.charest@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to link the status of two tasks in
> an agenda file (or even across multiple agenda files). Sometimes, a
> single task (in my case, updating my CV) might be a useful step in
> two different projects. If the tasks is marked DONE in one project
> (in one subtree), I would like the other one to be marked DONE as
> well. Is it possible or even implemented?
>
> Cheers,
>
> FC

There's an org-depend package in the contrib directory that's supposed
to do this, but I haven't looked at it before... Vanilla Org only does
dependencies within the same subtree.

* Re: Linked tasks
@ 2014-06-16 15:48   ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-06-16 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

Thank you, I will have a closer look at org-depend, although it seems to me
that it's more 'depend' in the sense of 'this task has to be done for this
other task to be doable'. But I only had a glimpse on the code.

Regards,

FC

@ 2014-06-25 19:57     ` Pete Ley
From: Pete Ley @ 2014-06-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-orgmode

> it seems to me that it's more 'depend' in the sense of 'this task has
> to be done for this other task to be doable'.

IIRC, the TRIGGER property in org-depend.el allows you to change the
state of another tree when the current one is marked done. I imagine you
could use it to have a clone task in another tree that is TRIGGERed to
change to done when the other is.

Example

* Some tree
** TODO Update CV