emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
@ 2020-04-07 10:52 Ihor Radchenko
  2020-04-10  3:22 ` Kyle Meyer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-04-07 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Recently, I ran into a problem compiling org-mode asynchronously with
each .el file being compiled in a separate process (via
native-compile-async).
When I tried to compile org-refile.el in a separate Emacs process
(without compiling all other .el files), there was no way for the
byte-compiler to know that org-with-wide-buffer is a macro.

As I understand, normally org-mode compiles synchronously with all the
.el files being byte-compiled in alphabetic order. Then,
(eval-and-compile (require 'org-macs)) from org.el is defined prior
compiling all the org-*.el files, which accidentally allow the org-mode
to be compiled without any issues.

Note that I first reported this to bug-gnu-emacs mail-list [1], but it
seems that absence of (require 'org-macs) is wrong on the org-mode side.

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Ihor

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-04/msg00174.html


Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-04-01
Package: Org mode version 9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)
-- 
Ihor Radchenko,
PhD,
Center for Advancing Materials Performance from the Nanoscale (CAMP-nano)
State Key Laboratory for Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China
Email: yantar92@gmail.com, ihor_radchenko@alumni.sutd.edu.sg



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
  2020-04-07 10:52 Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)] Ihor Radchenko
@ 2020-04-10  3:22 ` Kyle Meyer
  2020-04-16  2:54   ` Kyle Meyer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-04-10  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, emacs-orgmode

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently, I ran into a problem compiling org-mode asynchronously with
> each .el file being compiled in a separate process (via
> native-compile-async).
> When I tried to compile org-refile.el in a separate Emacs process
> (without compiling all other .el files), there was no way for the
> byte-compiler to know that org-with-wide-buffer is a macro.

Thanks for the report.  Unfortunately, this is fallout from the movement
of some org.el components to org-refile.el in f636cf91b (New
org-refile.el file with refile definitions, 2020-02-05).

> As I understand, normally org-mode compiles synchronously with all the
> .el files being byte-compiled in alphabetic order. Then,
> (eval-and-compile (require 'org-macs)) from org.el is defined prior
> compiling all the org-*.el files, which accidentally allow the org-mode
> to be compiled without any issues.

There's also a 'make single' target that compiles files separately.  My
understanding is that ideally its output should be free of warnings.
Running that right before the commit above (f636cf91b^), there are a
couple of warnings (at least one now resolved).  There are a lot after,
including the one you mention.

There have been at least a couple of threads that bring up related
org-refile.el issues:

  - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/CAFyQvY1VR5t_a=JO01+QWbUQk_9i8+2XG6W2-mg-DpFzjz9seg@mail.gmail.com/
  - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/8861c9e9-6c19-ea8f-6a90-7a466782096f@thompsonclan.org/

So, there's a lot we need to fix here :/


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
  2020-04-10  3:22 ` Kyle Meyer
@ 2020-04-16  2:54   ` Kyle Meyer
  2020-05-31 14:49     ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-04-16  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> There's also a 'make single' target that compiles files separately.  My
> understanding is that ideally its output should be free of warnings.
> Running that right before the commit above (f636cf91b^), there are a
> couple of warnings (at least one now resolved).  There are a lot after,
> including the one you mention.
>
> There have been at least a couple of threads that bring up related
> org-refile.el issues:
>
>   - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/CAFyQvY1VR5t_a=JO01+QWbUQk_9i8+2XG6W2-mg-DpFzjz9seg@mail.gmail.com/
>   - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/8861c9e9-6c19-ea8f-6a90-7a466782096f@thompsonclan.org/
>
> So, there's a lot we need to fix here :/

I've proposed a fix [^1] at one of the above threads:

  https://yhetil.org/orgmode/878siww3rq.fsf@kyleam.com

[^1]: https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/18e58aa0d7fd367b3506891b633a493f402e9fee


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
  2020-04-16  2:54   ` Kyle Meyer
@ 2020-05-31 14:49     ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-05-31 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, emacs-orgmode

>> So, there's a lot we need to fix here :/

Everything is back to normal regarding my bug report on master.
I guess the patch moving org-get-outline-path did the trick.

This should be closed.

Best,
Ihor

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> There's also a 'make single' target that compiles files separately.  My
>> understanding is that ideally its output should be free of warnings.
>> Running that right before the commit above (f636cf91b^), there are a
>> couple of warnings (at least one now resolved).  There are a lot after,
>> including the one you mention.
>>
>> There have been at least a couple of threads that bring up related
>> org-refile.el issues:
>>
>>   - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/CAFyQvY1VR5t_a=JO01+QWbUQk_9i8+2XG6W2-mg-DpFzjz9seg@mail.gmail.com/
>>   - https://yhetil.org/orgmode/8861c9e9-6c19-ea8f-6a90-7a466782096f@thompsonclan.org/
>>
>> So, there's a lot we need to fix here :/
>
> I've proposed a fix [^1] at one of the above threads:
>
>   https://yhetil.org/orgmode/878siww3rq.fsf@kyleam.com
>
> [^1]: https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/18e58aa0d7fd367b3506891b633a493f402e9fee

-- 
Ihor Radchenko,
PhD,
Center for Advancing Materials Performance from the Nanoscale (CAMP-nano)
State Key Laboratory for Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China
Email: yantar92@gmail.com, ihor_radchenko@alumni.sutd.edu.sg


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-05-31 14:55 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-04-07 10:52 Bug: org-with-wide-buffer is used in org-refile.el without (require 'org-macs) [9.3.6 (release_9.3.6-441-gba6855 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)] Ihor Radchenko
2020-04-10  3:22 ` Kyle Meyer
2020-04-16  2:54   ` Kyle Meyer
2020-05-31 14:49     ` Ihor Radchenko

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).