* ox-texinfo:  Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
@ 2015-05-29 11:45 Vaidheeswaran C
From: Vaidheeswaran C @ 2015-05-29 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

ox-texinfo: Link to dedicated to target doesn't work

See the attached .org and .texi file.

[-- Attachment #2: bug-texinfo.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 1010 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: bug-texinfo.texi --]
[-- Type: text/x-texinfo, Size: 841 bytes --]

\input texinfo    @c -*- texinfo -*-
@c %**start of header
@setfilename ./bug-texinfo.info
@settitle bug-texinfo
@documentencoding UTF-8
@documentlanguage en
@c %**end of header

@finalout
@titlepage
@title bug-texinfo
@end titlepage

@ifnottex
@node Top
@top bug-texinfo
@end ifnottex

@menu
* Heading 1::
@end menu

@node Heading 1
@unnumbered Heading 1

@anchor{orgtarget1}Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed
do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim
ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Jump to .

@bye

* Re: ox-texinfo:  Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
@ 2015-05-29 15:56 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaidheeswaran C; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> writes:

> ox-texinfo: Link to dedicated to target doesn't work

The behaviour is correct here.

You are inserting a link to a target without a description. As in any
export back-end, Org tries to associate it to a number, in this case,
headline's number.

However, you explicitly asked to have unnumbered headlines. As
a consequence Org simply bails out.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: ox-texinfo:  Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
@ 2015-05-30  2:23   ` Vaidheeswaran C
From: Vaidheeswaran C @ 2015-05-30  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Friday 29 May 2015 09:26 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ox-texinfo: Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
>
> The behaviour is correct here.
>
> You are inserting a link to a target without a description. As in any
> export back-end, Org tries to associate it to a number, in this case,
> headline's number.

A canonical DESCRIPTION is NOT available.  (YET) The ANCHOR should
still get through to the `texi' file, right?

This is the output I see in other backends (that support anchors).

  HTML:

      Jump to <a href="#orgtarget1">No description for this link</a>.

  LaTeX:

      Jump to \ref{orgtarget1}.

* Re: ox-texinfo:  Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
@ 2015-05-30  8:19     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-30  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaidheeswaran C; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> writes:

> A canonical DESCRIPTION is NOT available.  (YET) The ANCHOR should
> still get through to the `texi' file, right?

We can replace a silly behaviour with another silly one, yes. But is
there any non-silly one?

> This is the output I see in other backends (that support anchors).
>
>   HTML:

>       Jump to <a href="#orgtarget1">No description for this link</a>.

The example above is a bit misleading because a description is not
mandatory. In your situation, Option "num:t" would be sufficient to
produce something.

>   LaTeX:
>
>       Jump to \ref{orgtarget1}.

If you look at it, this will not appear in the (PDF) output as there's
nothing to refer to, much like what happens in ox-texinfo.

In any case, what exactly do you suggest in this situation, i.e., what
should be displayed?

* Re: ox-texinfo:  Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
@ 2015-05-30  8:36       ` Vaidheeswaran C
From: Vaidheeswaran C @ 2015-05-30  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday 30 May 2015 01:49 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> > A canonical DESCRIPTION is NOT available.  (YET) The ANCHOR should
>> > still get through to the `texi' file, right?
> We can replace a silly behaviour with another silly one, yes. But is
> there any non-silly one?

Displaying a silly link is a call for an action (to fix).  So, from
fixability perspective, having a silly anchor is better than pruning
it from output.

>> > This is the output I see in other backends (that support anchors).
>> >
>> >   HTML:

>> >       Jump to <a href="#orgtarget1">No description for this link</a>.
> The example above is a bit misleading because a description is not
> mandatory. In your situation, Option "num:t" would be sufficient to
> produce something.

I understand that the error is in the OPTIONs that I have and I need
to fix the Org file.  Your argument is sound.  (BUT) Having some
feedback that something is amisss is always desirable.

>> >   LaTeX:
>> >
>> >       Jump to \ref{orgtarget1}.
> If you look at it, this will not appear in the (PDF) output as there's
> nothing to refer to, much like what happens in ox-texinfo.

I see a red box (which is an urgent call for action).

> In any case, what exactly do you suggest in this situation, i.e., what
> should be displayed?

How about @ref{orgtarget1}?

ps: I can send in fixes.  I have a copyright assignment.  WDYT?

* Re: ox-texinfo:  Link to dedicated to target doesn't work
@ 2015-05-30 11:59         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-05-30 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaidheeswaran C; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vaidheeswaran C <vaidheeswaran.chinnaraju@gmail.com> writes:

> How about @ref{orgtarget1}?

I'd rather not expose internals to the user. Also, displaying
"orgtarget1" in an info file would be more confusing than helpful.

Anyway, I changed a bit the behaviour for targets. Let me know what you
think (or anyone else using this export back-end for that matter) about
it.

> ps: I can send in fixes.  I have a copyright assignment.  WDYT?

You can send fixes along with your reports. A concrete proposal along
with the report is also fine.