* Include LaTeX source and compiled result
@ 2022-06-08  7:43 Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-08  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi everyone,

for the documentation of my LaTeX courses I use examples that show the
output next to the source code. I'm contemplating whether I should
convert the documentation and examples to org, and use org-babel to
include the examples. I think this should be possible with org-babel.

However, I cannot manage to get this to work:

#+begin_example

Blabla

#+begin_src latex :file test.pdf
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
This is a test
\end{document}
#+end_src

Blabla

#+end_example

Looking at the temporary latex file (see below) the reason is clear: Org
babel exports this as a complete latex file although the example itself
is already complete. Can I tell org somehow that this is not a fragment
and should be compiled as is?

Best,
Denis

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[usenames]{color}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{capt-of}
\pagestyle{empty}             % do not remove
% The settings below are copied from fullpage.sty
\setlength{\textwidth}{\paperwidth}
\addtolength{\textwidth}{-3cm}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{1.5cm}
\addtolength{\oddsidemargin}{-2.54cm}
\setlength{\evensidemargin}{\oddsidemargin}
\setlength{\textheight}{\paperheight}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-\headheight}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-\headsep}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-\footskip}
\addtolength{\textheight}{-3cm}
\setlength{\topmargin}{1.5cm}
\addtolength{\topmargin}{-2.54cm}
\begin{document}
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
This is a test
\end{document}
\end{document}

* Re: Include LaTeX source and compiled result
@ 2022-06-08  7:48 ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-08  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hmmm, even this tells me "Code block produced no output"

#+begin_example
Test

#+begin_src latex :file asdf.pdf
Blabla
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_export latex
#+end_export

Test
#+begin_example

But I can compile the temporary tex file without problems.
I'm probably missing something fundamental...

Best,
Denis

@ 2022-06-08  8:28 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-06-08  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Wednesday,  8 Jun 2022 at 09:43, Denis Maier wrote:
> However, I cannot manage to get this to work:

If you want to show the LaTeX, you need to add ":exports code" to the
src block, or ":exports both :results file" if you want to show both
code and the resulting PDF.

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.4-521-g1105da in Emacs 29.0.50

* Re: Include LaTeX source and compiled result
@ 2022-06-08 19:01   ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Am 08.06.2022 um 10:28 schrieb Fraga, Eric:
> On Wednesday,  8 Jun 2022 at 09:43, Denis Maier wrote:
>> However, I cannot manage to get this to work:
> If you want to show the LaTeX, you need to add ":exports code" to the
> src block, or ":exports both :results file" if you want to show both
> code and the resulting PDF.

:exports code works. But the problem with the other options is that the
compilation fails. But I cannot tell why. It just tells me "Code block
produced no output".

How can you diagnose such an issue?

* Re: Include LaTeX source and compiled result
@ 2022-06-09  7:47     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-06-09  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Wednesday,  8 Jun 2022 at 21:01, Denis Maier wrote:
> :exports code works. But the problem with the other options is that the
> compilation fails. But I cannot tell why. It just tells me "Code block
> produced no output".

This is not surprising as the LaTeX src blocks are expected to be LaTeX
body only, not preamble etc.  I.e. in your case, just the line that says
"This is a test".  You may wish to look at org-format-latex-header,
org-babel-latex-preamble, org-babel-latex-end-env, ...

> How can you diagnose such an issue?

You can sometimes find the org babel files created in /tmp.

--

@ 2022-06-09  7:58       ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-09  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Am 09.06.2022 um 09:47 schrieb Fraga, Eric:
> On Wednesday,  8 Jun 2022 at 21:01, Denis Maier wrote:
>> :exports code works. But the problem with the other options is that the
>> compilation fails. But I cannot tell why. It just tells me "Code block
>> produced no output".
> This is not surprising as the LaTeX src blocks are expected to be LaTeX
> body only, not preamble etc.  I.e. in your case, just the line that says
> "This is a test".  You may wish to look at org-format-latex-header,
> org-babel-latex-preamble, org-babel-latex-end-env, ...

Exactly, I've found that out by looking at the file in temp. Testing
with body only failed as well! I can however manually compile the
temporary file.

Anyway: This means you cannot switch to using complete files? I was
hoping for something like
:fragment nil
or
:complete-doc t

>> How can you diagnose such an issue?
> You can sometimes find the org babel files created in /tmp.

Anything else? I've found those files, but I was wondering whether Emacs
could give me some more useful debug infos? (Especially since compiling
the temporary files works...)

Denis

* Re: Include LaTeX source and compiled result
@ 2022-06-09 11:49         ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2022-06-09 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Thursday,  9 Jun 2022 at 09:58, Denis Maier wrote:
> Anything else? I've found those files, but I was wondering whether Emacs
> could give me some more useful debug infos? (Especially since compiling
> the temporary files works...)

Nothing else I know about.  It's one of the weak points in the whole
babel ecosystem...  If the underlying system writes to stderr, this does
get sent back to the user, but most src blocks fail silently when they
fail which is very frustrating.

--

@ 2022-06-11  8:38     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-11  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier; +Cc: Org Mode List

Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> writes:

> Am 08.06.2022 um 10:28 schrieb Fraga, Eric:
>> On Wednesday,  8 Jun 2022 at 09:43, Denis Maier wrote:
>>> However, I cannot manage to get this to work:
>> If you want to show the LaTeX, you need to add ":exports code" to the
>> src block, or ":exports both :results file" if you want to show both
>> code and the resulting PDF.
>>

> :exports code works. But the problem with the other options is that the
> compilation fails. But I cannot tell why. It just tells me "Code block
> produced no output".
>
> How can you diagnose such an issue?

Hmm... Actually, I cannot reproduce the problem using emacs -Q and the
latest main.

Having bug.org:
-------------------
Blabla