* Trying to replace PasswordSafe with org-crypt
@ 2011-03-17  0:40 Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2011-03-17  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After invoking org-encrypt-entry on a header its contents are replaced
with:

* foo :crypt:
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

jA0EAwMC1x9QRUGObPFgySqJXEOiDqi5xGUFqt6GOs0Y2RB7b+euyEy37EVRR32D
HFRSrIchM2MuPcA=
=+O2/
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

There are several problems with that.

First:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

It would nice to get rid of that noise, if possible.

Second:

Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

That changes from system to system (GNU/Linux, MinGW32) and gpg version,
which is not good when the file is versioned.

Third, the encryped text changes from invocation to invocation. That
means that the sequence

org-decrypt-entry
<wait for a while>
org-encrypt-entry

alters the cyphertext. Again, this is annoying when the file is under
version control.

Finally, is there a way to force symmetric encryption?

I'm using the org 7.4 that comes with Emacs 24.0.50 (development
sources) on Linux and Windows.

* Re: Trying to replace PasswordSafe with org-crypt
@ 2011-03-17  9:16 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-03-17  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Finally, is there a way to force symmetric encryption?

You can set (setq org-crypt-key nil) in your .emacs, which should make
encryption asymmetric.

Ian.

* Re: Trying to replace PasswordSafe with org-crypt
@ 2011-03-17  9:29 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Mar 17 2011, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> It would nice to get rid of that noise, if possible.

It's kinda handy to have them to match the text. I don't think it's a
real problem. They are very standard.

> Second:
>
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> That changes from system to system (GNU/Linux, MinGW32) and gpg version,
> which is not good when the file is versioned.

Same here. This is part of the standard output of GPG. This is not
something org-crypt add for itself.

> Third, the encryped text changes from invocation to invocation. That
> means that the sequence
>
> org-decrypt-entry
> <wait for a while>
> org-encrypt-entry
>
> alters the cyphertext. Again, this is annoying when the file is under
> version control.

This has been fixed in git recently by me, and should be fixed in Org >=
7.5.

> Finally, is there a way to force symmetric encryption?

If you do not set any key, it's symmetric. But I think there's no
property to force symmetric on specific entry. I could add such a think
I guess, if you need it.

> I'm using the org 7.4 that comes with Emacs 24.0.50 (development
> sources) on Linux and Windows.

Go update! :)

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Trying to replace PasswordSafe with org-crypt
@ 2011-03-17 12:52   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2011-03-17 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 17 2011, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>> It would nice to get rid of that noise, if possible.
>
> It's kinda handy to have them to match the text. I don't think it's a
> real problem. They are very standard.

Ok, I can live with that.

>> Second:
>>
>> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>>
>> That changes from system to system (GNU/Linux, MinGW32) and gpg version,
>> which is not good when the file is versioned.
>
> Same here. This is part of the standard output of GPG. This is not
> something org-crypt add for itself.

I just tried and it is possible to remove the boilerplate and keep
org-crypt/gpg working. Maybe org-crypt may filter it out. I'll how hard
is to add an option for that, it nobody beats me.

>> Third, the encryped text changes from invocation to invocation. That
>> means that the sequence
>>
>> org-decrypt-entry
>> <wait for a while>
>> org-encrypt-entry
>>
>> alters the cyphertext. Again, this is annoying when the file is under
>> version control.
>
> This has been fixed in git recently by me, and should be fixed in Org >=
> 7.5.

Thanks!

>> Finally, is there a way to force symmetric encryption?
>
> If you do not set any key, it's symmetric. But I think there's no
> property to force symmetric on specific entry. I could add such a think
> I guess, if you need it.

I was confused by a dialog that pops out on Kubuntu asking for a
passphrase. I thought that it was asking for authorization for using my
ssh key, but tried again and it accepts any text that I throw at it. On
Windows the passphrase is asked using the minibuffer. So it seems that
there is no issue here.

>> I'm using the org 7.4 that comes with Emacs 24.0.50 (development
>> sources) on Linux and Windows.
>
> Go update! :)

Well, with this and org-contacts, which I'm eager to try, I think I'll
finally start using org from git (sticking to some release tag, I guess)
although using the version distributed with Emacs is much more
convenient for those of us working on multiple machines.

Thanks for making org-mode even more useful.