* No image output from Maxima in Babel
@ 2016-02-05 21:38 Zachary Peterson
From: Zachary Peterson @ 2016-02-05 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

After recently learning about Babel, I've been working my way through
some of the examples in the various languages' documentation, and I've
run into a problem with Maxima. I evaluated this code, taken from the
documentation at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-maxima.html#sec-4-3,
with only the filename changed:

#+name: 3d-maxima
#+header: :file maxima-3d.png
#+header: :exports results
#+header: :results graphics
#+begin_src maxima
  programmode: false;
  plot3d(atan(-x^2+y^3/4),[x,-4,4],[y,-4,4],[grid,50,50],[gnuplot_pm3d,true]);
#+end_src

It returns this:
#+RESULTS: 3d-maxima
[[file:maxima-3d.png]]

The file is empty, though.

Running the code from within the Maxima REPL produces the expected
result.

I'm running Org version 20160201 on GNU Emacs 24.4.1 with Maxima 5.34.1
on Debian Jessie.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
--
Zachary Peterson
zap5029@psu.edu

* Re: No image output from Maxima in Babel
@ 2016-02-05 22:13 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-05 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Peterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Zachary,

That example works here.

Do the other maxima examples work for you and only this one fails?

All the best,
Tom

Zachary Peterson <zap5029@psu.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> After recently learning about Babel, I've been working my way through
> some of the examples in the various languages' documentation, and I've
> run into a problem with Maxima. I evaluated this code, taken from the
> documentation at
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-maxima.html#sec-4-3,
> with only the filename changed:
>
> #+name: 3d-maxima
> #+header: :file maxima-3d.png
> #+header: :exports results
> #+header: :results graphics
> #+begin_src maxima
>   programmode: false;
>   plot3d(atan(-x^2+y^3/4),[x,-4,4],[y,-4,4],[grid,50,50],[gnuplot_pm3d,true]);
> #+end_src
>
> It returns this:
> #+RESULTS: 3d-maxima
> [[file:maxima-3d.png]]
>
> The file is empty, though.
>
> Running the code from within the Maxima REPL produces the expected
> result.
>
> I'm running Org version 20160201 on GNU Emacs 24.4.1 with Maxima 5.34.1
> on Debian Jessie.
>
> I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: No image output from Maxima in Babel
@ 2016-02-05 23:03   ` Zachary Peterson
From: Zachary Peterson @ 2016-02-05 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Aloha Zachary, That example works here.

> Do the other maxima examples work for you and only this one fails?

All the other examples work.

--

@ 2016-02-06  0:38     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-02-06  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Peterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmmm.  I don't know.  Perhaps someone else will have an idea.  The
example works fine on my Mac.

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: No image output from Maxima in Babel
@ 2016-02-06 14:20 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-06 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Peterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday,  5 Feb 2016 at 16:38, Zachary Peterson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After recently learning about Babel, I've been working my way through
> some of the examples in the various languages' documentation, and I've
> run into a problem with Maxima. I evaluated this code, taken from the
> documentation at
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-maxima.html#sec-4-3,
> with only the filename changed:
>
> #+name: 3d-maxima
> #+header: :file maxima-3d.png
>
> #+header: :exports results
> #+header: :results graphics
>
> #+begin_src maxima
>   programmode: false;
>   plot3d(atan(-x^2+y^3/4),[x,-4,4],[y,-4,4],[grid,50,50],[gnuplot_pm3d,true]);
> #+end_src
>

> It returns this:
>
> #+RESULTS: 3d-maxima
> [[file:maxima-3d.png]]
>
> The file is empty, though.

Confirmed.

You haven't said what version you are using or what kind of system you
are running on so I will assume up to date org on Linux as why would you
be doing otherwise ;-)

What is happening is that maxima, at least on my system (Debian
testing), is creating the plot in my home directory and not where the
org file is.  Check your home directory to see if the plot is there.

If you specify a full path, e.g. /tmp/maxima-3d.png, it may work for you
(it does for me) although obviously this is less than ideal.

The fix would be to have the argument to set_plot_option for the
gnuplot_plot_file be a fully qualified file name.

(beyond my ability to fix unfortunately)

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-548-g99697a

* Re: No image output from Maxima in Babel
@ 2016-02-07 15:58   ` Zachary Peterson
From: Zachary Peterson @ 2016-02-07 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Confirmed.

> You haven't said what version you are using or what kind of system you
> are running on so I will assume up to date org on Linux as why would
> you be doing otherwise ;-)

> What is happening is that maxima, at least on my system (Debian
> testing), is creating the plot in my home directory and not where the
> org file is.  Check your home directory to see if the plot is there.

> If you specify a full path, e.g. /tmp/maxima-3d.png, it may work for
> you (it does for me) although obviously this is less than ideal.

> The fix would be to have the argument to set_plot_option for the
> gnuplot_plot_file be a fully qualified file name.

> (beyond my ability to fix unfortunately)

> HTH, eric

> -- : Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org
> release_8.3.3-548-g99697a

Thank you, that was exactly what was happening.

--
Zachary Peterson
zap5029@psu.edu

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No image output from Maxima in Babel
@ 2016-02-07 19:45     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-07 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zachary Peterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sunday,  7 Feb 2016 at 10:58, Zachary Peterson wrote:
>> The fix would be to have the argument to set_plot_option for the
>> gnuplot_plot_file be a fully qualified file name.
>
>> (beyond my ability to fix unfortunately)
>
>> HTH, eric
>
> Thank you, that was exactly what was happening.

Great.  Maybe submit a bug report to have this on the list of things to
fix (sometime)?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-548-g99697a