From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Zachary Peterson <zap5029@psu.edu>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: No image output from Maxima in Babel
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 14:20:10 +0000	[thread overview]

On Friday,  5 Feb 2016 at 16:38, Zachary Peterson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After recently learning about Babel, I've been working my way through
> some of the examples in the various languages' documentation, and I've
> run into a problem with Maxima. I evaluated this code, taken from the
> documentation at
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-maxima.html#sec-4-3,
> with only the filename changed:
>
> #+name: 3d-maxima
> #+header: :file maxima-3d.png
>
> #+header: :exports results
> #+header: :results graphics
>
> #+begin_src maxima
>   programmode: false;
>   plot3d(atan(-x^2+y^3/4),[x,-4,4],[y,-4,4],[grid,50,50],[gnuplot_pm3d,true]);
> #+end_src
>

> It returns this:
>
> #+RESULTS: 3d-maxima
> [[file:maxima-3d.png]]
>
> The file is empty, though.

Confirmed.

You haven't said what version you are using or what kind of system you
are running on so I will assume up to date org on Linux as why would you
be doing otherwise ;-)

What is happening is that maxima, at least on my system (Debian
testing), is creating the plot in my home directory and not where the
org file is.  Check your home directory to see if the plot is there.

If you specify a full path, e.g. /tmp/maxima-3d.png, it may work for you
(it does for me) although obviously this is less than ideal.

The fix would be to have the argument to set_plot_option for the
gnuplot_plot_file be a fully qualified file name.

(beyond my ability to fix unfortunately)

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-548-g99697a