From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Titus von der Malsburg <malsburg@posteo.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Feature request: lists with letters
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 02:20:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

Titus von der Malsburg <malsburg@posteo.de> writes:

> On 2017-02-09 Thu 09:29, Rasmus wrote:
>> Titus von der Malsburg <malsburg@posteo.de> writes:
>>
>>> That’s a neat hack that might come in handy at some point.  However, it
>>> changes the bullet point to letters for /all/ ordered lists in the
>>> document, not just for those that use letters in the org source.
>>
>> Yes, I use the simplest possible example.  Here's an example that changes
>> it for one list at the cost of an extra package.
>>
>> #+latex_header: \usepackage[shortlabels]{enumitem}
>> #+attr_latex: :options [a.]
>> 1. one
>> 2. two
>> 3. three
>
> Again, this is nice and honestly I admire your skill and knowledge.  But
> this solution only works for LaTeX export and not for HTML and other
> targets.  When I start writing documents, I often do not even know what
> the target is eventually going to be.  Also, I often export org to
> multiple targets, for example, my lecture notes are usually exported to
> HTML and to PDF.

For multiple outputs, you can stack #+attr_ lines, e.g.;

  #+attr_latex: :options [a.]
  #+attr_html: some clever code which I don't know.
  1. one
  2. two

Again, I'm sure it is useful for some documents, but I don't think Org
should provide such WYSIWYG feature. It simply is out of its scope. What
would be next? Provide two different bullet types in the output when the
document also uses two of them?

The point, however, is that it is probably already possible to have
alphabetical lists in the output, as Rasmus pointed out. You may not
dismiss the hints given to you so quickly. It could solve your problem,
only not the way you're expecting it to be solved.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to apply tweaks to back-end if needed. What I'm
opposed to, however, is to _guarantee_,even with a defcustom, that
alphabetical lists in the document become alphabetical lists in the
output.

It is also possible to create your own extended back-ends that generate
alphabetical lists. You might also want to share them here.

Nicolas Goaziou