* After Gmane shutdown: how can I read/write to the org-mode mailing list online
@ 2017-06-27  8:26 Elwood151
       [not found] ` <4b263e14098b4aa4b71cbbfcf4494d85@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Elwood151 @ 2017-06-27  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: After Gmane shutdown: how can I read/write to the org-mode mailing list online
@ 2017-06-27 12:56 ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found] ` <4b263e14098b4aa4b71cbbfcf4494d85@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-06-27 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Elwood151" == Elwood151  <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

   > Hi,

   > since gmane was shut down, I'm missing the possibility to post,
   > read and reply to the org-mode mailing list online without having
   > to use my mail account.

Ooh, what makes you say gmane was shut down? right now I am using gmane
to read this message and to reply.

@ 2017-06-27 14:15   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-06-27 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 12:56, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Ooh, what makes you say gmane was shut down? right now I am using gmane
> to read this message and to reply.

I think the OP means a web interface to gmane which I think no longer
exists?  I assume you are using an MUA to access gmane lists?
--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.9-551-g92e8c8

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2017-06-27 16:06     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-06-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 12:56, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Ooh, what makes you say gmane was shut down? right now I am using gmane
>> to read this message and to reply.
>
> I think the OP means a web interface to gmane which I think no longer
> exists?  I assume you are using an MUA to access gmane lists?

The NNTP interface works and so you can use Gnus to read (and reply
to) the mailing list.  The setup is

(setq gnus-select-method
	     '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
		     (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
		     (nntp-port-number 563)
		     (nnir-search-engine gmane)
		     ))

[The following is completely optional, separate and unrelated - but it
is convenient.]

If you want to use Gnus for reading email as well, you can add your email
source(s) as secondary select methods:

(require 'nnir)

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "GMail"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                      (nnimap-port 587)
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-records-commands t)
                      (nnir-search-enging imap)))

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
 	     '(nnimap "Ohter email service
 		      (nnimap-address "imap.some-mail-service.com")
                      (... other setup ...)
 		      (nnimap-stream ssl)
 		      (nnimap-record-commands t)))

This takes care of incoming mail.

There is also outgoing mail to worry about, but that's not a Gnus
problem: you have to set up a couple of things in the smtpmail
library (C-h i smtp RET): the sending method, the server, and the port.
I use my localhost at port 25 as my mail server and run postfix to
forward the mail to my "real" relay:

(setq send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "localhost")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)

The postfix set-up is left as an exercise, but there are plenty
of tutorials on the interwebs.
--
Nick

@ 2017-06-27 16:51     ` M
From: M @ 2017-06-27 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ Uwe Brauer:
I was using the gmane web page to read and reply to this mailing list and if
I try to open the link from the org-mode website
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode , I get "Page not found".

@Eric:
does MUA mean mail software (mail user agent)?!
At home, I'm using my mail sofware (currently Entourage on MacOS X) to
read/reply to the group.

If I'm away from home, I can only use the web page of my mail provider to
read/reply to the list, but as my mail account is limited in the number of
emails which can be stored, I'm deleting mails on the mail server regularly
and don't have access to all the mail history, if I'm not at home.

That's, why it was nice to be able to read and post online on a web page
without having to log in to a private mail account.

Kind regards

Martin

@ 2017-06-27 17:24       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-06-27 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "M" == M  <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

   > @ Uwe Brauer:

   > I was using the gmane web page to read and reply to this mailing
   > list and if I try to open the link from the org-mode website
   > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode , I get "Page not found".

Right this is down for some time.

   > @Eric:

   > does MUA mean mail software (mail user agent)?! At home, I'm using
   > my mail sofware (currently Entourage on MacOS X) to read/reply to
   > the group.

   > If I'm away from home, I can only use the web page of my mail
   > provider to read/reply to the list, but as my mail account is
   > limited in the number of emails which can be stored, I'm deleting
   > mails on the mail server regularly and don't have access to all the
   > mail history, if I'm not at home.

   > That's, why it was nice to be able to read and post online on a web page
   > without having to log in to a private mail account.

There is another way, either using emacs or say thunderbird, you open a
new account but specify the newserver (port 119 if I am not mistaken),
this way you don't have to rely on you private email.

* Re: After Gmane shutdown: how can I read/write to the org-mode mailing list online
       [not found] <143f995d6db248e4aff5f3f1a07cd229@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-06-27 19:23 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-06-27 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode