* Opening org Agenda whenever opening GNUs:
@ 2019-11-24  6:31 Spenser Truex
From: Spenser Truex @ 2019-11-24  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Email is something I check often (with Gnus), so attaching my agenda to
it is a good way to stay on track.

(defun my-instant-agenda ()
  (org-agenda-list nil))
(add-hook 'gnus-before-startup-hook 'my-instant-agenda)

I'd like to be able to have it split vertically, since it otherwise
obscures my view. How can I do that?

|  ORG AGENDA                              |
|    TODO: everything                      |
|    DONE: nothing                         |
|  Mom              |   TODO: other stuff  |
|  alt.sex          |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
|                   |                      |
+-------------------------------------------
--
Spenser Truex
spensertruex.com

* Re: Opening org Agenda whenever opening GNUs:
@ 2019-11-25  0:07 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-11-25  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Spenser Truex <web@spensertruex.com> writes:

> Email is something I check often (with Gnus), so attaching my agenda to
> it is a good way to stay on track.
>
> (defun my-instant-agenda ()
>   (org-agenda-list nil))
> (add-hook 'gnus-before-startup-hook 'my-instant-agenda)
>
> I'd like to be able to have it split vertically, since it otherwise
> obscures my view. How can I do that?

> |                                          |
> |                                          |
> |  ORG AGENDA                              |
> |    TODO: everything                      |
> |    DONE: nothing                         |
> |                                          |
> |                                          |
> |                                          |
> |  Mom              |   TODO: other stuff  |
> |  alt.sex          |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> |                   |                      |
> +-------------------------------------------

What's your value of gnus-use-full-window? It defaults to t, and I
wouldn't have expected that even your "actual setup" above would work.
If you set that to nil, and then manually create the side-by-side layout
with "C-x 3", is it preserved?

I wrote a package called Gnorb that attempts to integrate Gnus and Org
(and BBDB) a little more closely together, so this is something that I'm
interested in. Gnorb can't currently do this sort of display, in part
because Gnus's window management is gnarly, but it does provide for
tagging Gnus messages with Org tags, and popping up agendas relevant to
messages. I'll be curious to see how you progress with this...

* Re: Opening org Agenda whenever opening GNUs:
@ 2019-11-25 15:47 ` Jack Kamm
From: Jack Kamm @ 2019-11-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spenser Truex, emacs-orgmode

> I'd like to be able to have it split vertically, since it otherwise
> obscures my view. How can I do that?

I haven't tested this, but I think the following would accomplish what you want:

(defun my-instant-agenda ()
  (let ((org-agenda-window-setup 'current-window))
    (select-window (split-window-horizontally))
    (org-agenda-list nil)))