emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Tracking flexitime
@ 2013-04-22  8:35 Thomas Koch
  2013-04-22  8:53 ` Detlef Steuer
                   ` (3 more replies)
  0 siblings, 4 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Koch @ 2013-04-22  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm searching for best practices to track flexi time with orgmode. I've a work 
contract of 8 hours per day in average. So I'd like to start a clock when I 
arrive at work, pause it for lunch and stop it when I leave.

I wouldn't like to rely only on the sum of the time spent on tasks since there 
is always work time that can hardly be assigned to a specific task.

So in my understanding I'd need two clocks: One for the time that I'm at work 
and the other one for the task I'm currently working on. The sum of the second 
clock will always be a little bit less than the first. But org-mode only 
supports one clock at a time?

The next question is, how can I see my current overtime account?

Google results:

There has been a similar question on stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10122813/tracking-flexitime-using-emacs-org-mode

Somewhat related: lisp code for weekly timesheets
http://lvalue.blogspot.ch/2010/02/weekly-timesheets-in-org-mode.html

What have I done today?
http://superuser.com/questions/196441/emacs-org-mode-as-a-work-diary

Thank you,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Tracking flexitime
  2013-04-22  8:35 Tracking flexitime Thomas Koch
@ 2013-04-22  8:53 ` Detlef Steuer
  2013-04-22  9:52   ` Thomas Koch
  2013-04-22 10:24 ` Memnon Anon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2013-04-22  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thomas,

my way to handle this situation is a datetime tree.

In the morning 
C-c a a i j 
jumps to today and C-u C-c ! inserts a timestamp.
In the evening the same procedure followed by a 
C-u C-c y to calculate my time in the office.

Friday evening I calculate over/under time for that week (in my head)
and note it.

A typical Friday entry looks like that:

*** 2013-04-19 Freitag
    [2013-04-19 Fr 08:45]--[2013-04-19 Fr 17:05] 08:20 (+2:00 +11:10)


+2:00 over/undertime this week +11:10 is total over/undertime.

Very litte automatisation, but only say 1 min effort a week. 

Hth
Detlef


On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:35:58 +0200
Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I'm searching for best practices to track flexi time with orgmode. I've a work 
> contract of 8 hours per day in average. So I'd like to start a clock when I 
> arrive at work, pause it for lunch and stop it when I leave.
> 
> I wouldn't like to rely only on the sum of the time spent on tasks since there 
> is always work time that can hardly be assigned to a specific task.
> 
> So in my understanding I'd need two clocks: One for the time that I'm at work 
> and the other one for the task I'm currently working on. The sum of the second 
> clock will always be a little bit less than the first. But org-mode only 
> supports one clock at a time?
> 
> The next question is, how can I see my current overtime account?
> 
> Google results:
> 
> There has been a similar question on stackoverflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10122813/tracking-flexitime-using-emacs-org-mode
> 
> Somewhat related: lisp code for weekly timesheets
> http://lvalue.blogspot.ch/2010/02/weekly-timesheets-in-org-mode.html
> 
> What have I done today?
> http://superuser.com/questions/196441/emacs-org-mode-as-a-work-diary
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
> 
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Tracking flexitime
  2013-04-22  8:53 ` Detlef Steuer
@ 2013-04-22  9:52   ` Thomas Koch
  2013-04-22 11:01     ` Detlef Steuer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Koch @ 2013-04-22  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Detlef Steuer

On Monday, April 22, 2013 10:53:08 AM Detlef Steuer wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> 
> my way to handle this situation is a datetime tree.
> 
> In the morning
> C-c a a i j
> jumps to today and C-u C-c ! inserts a timestamp.
> In the evening the same procedure followed by a
> C-u C-c y to calculate my time in the office.
> 
> Friday evening I calculate over/under time for that week (in my head)
> and note it.
> 
> A typical Friday entry looks like that:
> 
> *** 2013-04-19 Freitag
>     [2013-04-19 Fr 08:45]--[2013-04-19 Fr 17:05] 08:20 (+2:00 +11:10)
> 
> 
> +2:00 over/undertime this week +11:10 is total over/undertime.
> 
> Very litte automatisation, but only say 1 min effort a week.

Thank you Detlef for sharing this. However I can not follow.

- C-c a runs the command org-agenda
- a selects calendar for current week or day
- i runs the command org-agenda-diary-entry
- j ???

- What is a datetime tree?

- Do you have an extra file only to track you time at work? Could you share 
(privately?) such a file?

- I also could not find the binding for C-c y. What does it do?

I guess you also use functionality of the calendar/diary package of emacs?

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Tracking flexitime
  2013-04-22  8:35 Tracking flexitime Thomas Koch
  2013-04-22  8:53 ` Detlef Steuer
@ 2013-04-22 10:24 ` Memnon Anon
  2013-04-22 15:39 ` Achim Gratz
  2013-04-26 23:59 ` Bernt Hansen
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Memnon Anon @ 2013-04-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> I'm searching for best practices to track flexi time with orgmode. I've a work 
> contract of 8 hours per day in average. So I'd like to start a clock when I 
> arrive at work, pause it for lunch and stop it when I leave.
>
> I wouldn't like to rely only on the sum of the time spent on tasks since there 
> is always work time that can hardly be assigned to a specific task.

Nebulous tasks "that can hardly be assigned" should be avoided IMHO.
However, if you really find you have them and don't want to bother
expressing them in a precise fashion, what about a task for that, e.g. 
"Project A Clean-up"?

Your work day starts when the clock starts on a :WORK: task.
You want to have lunch? Clock in a "Lunch" or "Break" task, that does
not have a :WORK: tag.

I don't really see the need for a second clock so far?!

Memnon

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Tracking flexitime
  2013-04-22  9:52   ` Thomas Koch
@ 2013-04-22 11:01     ` Detlef Steuer
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2013-04-22 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry for being inexact.

> Thank you Detlef for sharing this. However I can not follow.
> 
> - C-c a runs the command org-agenda
> - a selects calendar for current week or day
> - i runs the command org-agenda-diary-entry
> - j ???
> 
> - What is a datetime tree?

It is a "date tree" in org speak, sorry.
See section 9.1.3 Capture Templates in the Manual.

> 
> - Do you have an extra file only to track you time at work? Could you share 
> (privately?) such a file?
> 

Yes, but it contains, well, a date tree and nothing else.

> - I also could not find the binding for C-c y. What does it do?

C-u C-c C-y calculates the difference between time stamps.

See 8.2 in the manual. (entry on org-evaluate-time-range)

Regards
Detlef

> 
> I guess you also use functionality of the calendar/diary package of emacs?
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
> 
> 

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Tracking flexitime
  2013-04-22  8:35 Tracking flexitime Thomas Koch
  2013-04-22  8:53 ` Detlef Steuer
  2013-04-22 10:24 ` Memnon Anon
@ 2013-04-22 15:39 ` Achim Gratz
  2013-04-26 23:59 ` Bernt Hansen
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-04-22 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Koch writes:
> I wouldn't like to rely only on the sum of the time spent on tasks since there 
> is always work time that can hardly be assigned to a specific task.

I have a heading that I clock stuff like all-hands meetings under that
shouldn't get booked to one of the projects I'm assigned to (which live
under their own headings).  That gives me the grand total for the time
sheet and also the sub-totals for each project at whatever granularity
the clocktable is set (I need weekly and two monthly reports at
different dates, so I have many clocktables by now, all stashed away in
drawers).  I'm only clocking full quarters of an hour.


Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Tracking flexitime
  2013-04-22  8:35 Tracking flexitime Thomas Koch
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2013-04-22 15:39 ` Achim Gratz
@ 2013-04-26 23:59 ` Bernt Hansen
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2013-04-26 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> I'm searching for best practices to track flexi time with orgmode. I've a work 
> contract of 8 hours per day in average. So I'd like to start a clock when I 
> arrive at work, pause it for lunch and stop it when I leave.
>
> I wouldn't like to rely only on the sum of the time spent on tasks since there 
> is always work time that can hardly be assigned to a specific task.

Hi Thomas,

I clock my 7.5 hour work day every day.  When I arrive at work I punch
in with f9-I which starts the clock on my default * Organization task
then I pick something from the agenda, clock it in and work.

In my setup clocking out moves the clock up one level in the tree or
back to the * Organization task.  This keeps time on projects and works
great for me.

I clock out at lunch (f9-O), clock back in after lunch (f9-I) and clock
out at the end of the day when my daily clock report on the agenda hits
7.5 hours.  I don't get paid for unauthorised overtime and I don't work
for free :)

I clock every minute of every day that I work minus lunch.  If personal
tasks interrupt work I clock those in with a new capture task and remove
these from my daily work report (C-u R in the agenda will show a clock
report using the current tag filter on the agenda).

All the gory details for my setup are here:
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Regards,
Bernt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2013-04-26 23:59 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2013-04-22  8:35 Tracking flexitime Thomas Koch
2013-04-22  8:53 ` Detlef Steuer
2013-04-22  9:52   ` Thomas Koch
2013-04-22 11:01     ` Detlef Steuer
2013-04-22 10:24 ` Memnon Anon
2013-04-22 15:39 ` Achim Gratz
2013-04-26 23:59 ` Bernt Hansen

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).