* org-clojure - How to emit an example block?
@ 2014-02-08 20:48 Phill Wolf
From: Phill Wolf @ 2014-02-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

How can a Clojure source block contribute its standard-output results as an
example block?  I tried ":results output org" but it expressed the standard
output as a quoted string with \n's where I expected newlines.  For a point
of comparison, org-python seems to be able to do what I want, if "begin_src
org" is effectively the same as "begin_example".  (Is it?)

#+BEGIN_SRC clojure :results output org :exports both
(println "Hello")
(println "world")
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+BEGIN_SRC org
"Hello\nworld\n"
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC python :results output org :exports both
print "Hello"
print "world"
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+BEGIN_SRC org
Hello
world
#+END_SRC

* Re: org-clojure - How to emit an example block?
@ 2014-02-08 22:15 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phill Wolf; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Phill Wolf <phill.wolf@gmail.com> writes:

> How can a Clojure source block contribute its standard-output results as an
> example block?

See the :wrap header argument.  Something like :wrap example should get
you close.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: org-clojure - How to emit an example block?
@ 2014-02-08 23:29   ` Phill Wolf
From: Phill Wolf @ 2014-02-08 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

ob-clojure.el should use separate cider functions for value and output
results, in order to avoid expressing standard output as some kind of
programming-language string with embedded \n notation.  I experimentally
adjusted my copy of ob-clojure (obtained from git clone -b master today)
like this:

(1) In the cider block, access the result-params.
(2) Put either 'cider-get-value or 'cider-get-raw-value into a variable,
depending on the result-params.
(3) funcall the variable instead of using cider-get-raw-value directly.
(0) Up at the top, add a declare-function for cider-get-value, next to the
declare-function for cider-get-raw-value.

(defun org-babel-execute:clojure (body params)
  "Execute a block of Clojure code with Babel."
  (let ((expanded (org-babel-expand-body:clojure body params))
    result)
    (case org-babel-clojure-backend
      (cider
       (require 'cider)
       (let* ((result-params (cdr (assoc :result-params params)))
              (cider-call-fn (cond ((member "output" result-params)
'cider-get-value)
                                   ((member "value" result-params)
'cider-get-raw-value)
                                   (t 'cider-get-raw-value))))
         (setq result
               (or (funcall cider-call-fn [...]

Together with :wrap example as suggested by Thomas S. Dye, the results are
exemplary.

* Re: org-clojure - How to emit an example block?
@ 2014-02-09  7:57     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-02-09  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phill Wolf; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

Hi Phill,

thanks for your work on this.

Phill Wolf <phill.wolf@gmail.com> writes:

> (1) In the cider block, access the result-params.
> (2) Put either 'cider-get-value or 'cider-get-raw-value into a
> variable, depending on the result-params.
> (3) funcall the variable instead of using cider-get-raw-value
> directly.
> (0) Up at the top, add a declare-function for cider-get-value, next
> to the declare-function for cider-get-raw-value.

Can you repost your changes as a patch?

Please read http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html
carefully on how to submit a patch.

If you don't have time to write a full patch, just open
the updated ob-clojure.el in Emacs and `C-x v =' to create
a patch buffer and send it to the list.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien