* Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-12  8:17 Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-10-12  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

http://orgmode.org/manual/Math-formatting-in-HTML-export.html

Hello the list,

Unfortunately, I do not know how to use Mathjax in order to convert any
mathematical symbol or any proof in html. Therefore the only solution that
I see is to use imagemagick.
But the line

in my setup gives always corrupted png images and I do not succeed to
understand why.
I would be thankful if someone could tell me how to configure my emacs
in order to use imagemagick to convert any proof in png image to
export it in html.

Thanks !

Jo.

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-13  0:45 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-10-13  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

What version of Emacs and org mode are you using?

What is your configuration?

What action did you perform on what document?

What did you want and expect to have happen with that action?

What happened instead?

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-13  7:45   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-10-13  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke, Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks for your reply.

> What version of Emacs and org mode are you using?

GNU Emacs 24.3.1

> What is your configuration?

I'm using org from Elpa.

OS: At the moment Xubuntu 14.04 , but the same problem occurred with Debian
testing.

> What action did you perform on what document?

Here is a minimal document as example

#+TITLE: Minimal logic
#+AUTHOR: Joseph Vidal-Rosset

\begin{equation}
\neg A \to (A \to B)
\end{equation}

> What did you want and expect to have happen with that action?

The export to latex works well.

BUT the export to html  works BUT...

> What happened instead?

produces always a corrupted png image for the equation. See the attachment.

Thanks for your help

Best wiishes

Jo.

[-- Attachment #2: corrupted-image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 705 bytes --]

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-13 11:45     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-13 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Grant Rettke

On Monday, 13 Oct 2014 at 09:45, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:

[...]

> Here is a minimal document as example

> #+TITLE: Minimal logic
>
> #+AUTHOR: Joseph Vidal-Rosset
>
> \begin{equation}
> \neg A \to (A \to B)
> \end{equation}

This works perfectly fine for me with both dvipng (my default choice)
and imagemagick.  The problem may be in your LaTeX installation: what
fonts are used etc.?

What does the PDF or DVI for this LaTeX file:

% Created 2014-10-13 Mon 12:43
\documentclass{minimal}
\begin{document}
\begin{equation}
\neg A \to (A \to B)
\end{equation}
% Emacs 24.4.50.1 (Org mode 8.3beta)
\end{document}

look like?
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-408-g39f5f0

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-13 15:50       ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-10-13 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Le lun.  13 oct. 2014  à 01:45:28 ,  Eric S Fraga  <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> a
envoyé ce message:
> On Monday, 13 Oct 2014 at 09:45, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Here is a minimal document as example

>> #+TITLE: Minimal logic
>>
>> #+AUTHOR: Joseph Vidal-Rosset
>>
>> \begin{equation}
>> \neg A \to (A \to B)
>> \end{equation}
>
> This works perfectly fine for me with both dvipng (my default choice)
> and imagemagick.  The problem may be in your LaTeX installation: what
> fonts are used etc.?

I have just tested
and it works. I conclude that the problem comes from imagemagick.

But dvipng does not succeed to make png images of proofs via bussproofs.sty.

For example, I do not succeed to transform this proof into a png image:

\begin{prooftree}
\def\fCenter{\ \Rightarrow\ }
\AxiomC{}
\RightLabel{\scriptsize{Ax.}}
\UnaryInf$A \to \bot, \bot \fCenter \bot$
\RightLabel{\scriptsize{$L\neg$def.}}
\UnaryInf$ \neg A, \bot \fCenter \bot$
\RightLabel{\scriptsize{$R\neg$}}
\UnaryInf$\bot \fCenter \neg \neg A$
\AxiomC{}
\RightLabel{\scriptsize{Ax.}}
\UnaryInf$A, \bot \fCenter \bot$
\RightLabel{\scriptsize{$R\neg$}}
\UnaryInf$\bot \fCenter \neg A$
\RightLabel{\scriptsize{$R\land$}}
\BinaryInf$\bot \fCenter \neg \neg A \land \neg A$
\end{prooftree}

I succeeded also to do it with Gnus by adding #+LaTeX_HEADERS:
\usepackage{bussproofs} on the top of the message, and no it does not no
more... that's another problem...

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-14  7:25         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-14  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Grant Rettke

Have a look at the following variable and note the SNIPPET argument:

,----[ C-h v org-latex-packages-alist RET ]

`----

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-14 17:23           ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-10-14 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset, Grant Rettke, Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks Eric.

I have tested this solution that works with imagemagick and html export. I
have added these lines in my init.el :

; Include the latex-exporter
(require 'ox-latex)
;; Add minted to the defaults packages to include when exporting.
;(add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted"))
;; Tell the latex export to use the minted package for source
;; code coloration.
(setq org-latex-listings 'minted)
;; Let the exporter use the -shell-escape option to let latex
;; execute external programs.
;; This obviously and can be dangerous to activate!
(setq org-latex-pdf-process
      '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory
%o %f"))

and it works.

But now it does not work in my Gnus if I want to include some png images of
proofs... I have to deleted these "dangerous lines"...

I do not understand why I need minted and shell-escape...

Best wishes

Jo.

@ 2014-10-14 17:51             ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-10-14 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Eric.
>
> I have tested this solution that works with imagemagick and html export. I have added these lines in my init.el :
>
> ; Include the latex-exporter
> (require 'ox-latex)
> ;; Add minted to the defaults packages to include when exporting.
> ;(add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted"))
> ;; Tell the latex export to use the minted package for source
> ;; code coloration.
> (setq org-latex-listings 'minted)
> ;; Let the exporter use the -shell-escape option to let latex
> ;; execute external programs.
> ;; This obviously and can be dangerous to activate!
> (setq org-latex-pdf-process
>       '("xelatex -shell-escape -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"))
>
> and it works.
>
> But now it does not work in my Gnus if I want to include some png
> images of proofs... I have to deleted these "dangerous lines"...
>
> I do not understand why I need minted and shell-escape...

I don't know why you need minted (I have not followed the conversation),
but to use minted you *need* -shell-escape: minted requires running an
external program (pygments), but tex does not like doing that for
security reasons - the -shell-escape option gives tex permission to run
such an external program.

Nick

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-14 19:09             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-14 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 14 Oct 2014 at 19:23, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:

[...]

> But now it does not work in my Gnus if I want to include some png images of
> proofs... I have to deleted these "dangerous lines"...

Sorry, I missed this the first time around.  What does gnus have to do
with this?  You were talking about exporting to HTML but never mentioned
gnus in the original post.

If you are trying to write an html based email, you should be looking at
different functionality than exporting.  Check out org-mime-htmlize, for
instance.  Exporting creates files which reference other files (for
images).  Messages are different.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-450-gbc9a58

* Re: Math formatting in HTML export - The Org Manual
@ 2014-10-15  5:54               ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-10-15  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> I don't know why you need minted (I have not followed the conversation),
> but to use minted you *need* -shell-escape: minted requires running an
> external program (pygments), but tex does not like doing that for
> security reasons - the -shell-escape option gives tex permission to run
> such an external program.

Thanks for this explanatio Nick. I need minted, strangely, in order to get
png images in html export. If I try to avoid the use of minted, the png
images are corrupted...

@ 2014-10-15  5:59               ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2014-10-15  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset, Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> > But now it does not work in my Gnus if I want to include some png images
> of
> > proofs... I have to deleted these "dangerous lines"...
>
> Sorry, I missed this the first time around.  What does gnus have to do
> with this?  You were talking about exporting to HTML but never mentioned
> gnus in the original post.
>
> If you are trying to write an html based email, you should be looking at
> different functionality than exporting.  Check out org-mime-htmlize, for
> instance.  Exporting creates files which reference other files (for
> images).  Messages are different.

Yes, I'm using precisely org-mime-htmlize with gnus when want to send
messages with png images. But with minted in my setup (to export correctly
html), the preview function does not work and then org-mime-htmlize
fails...

Again thanks !

@ 2014-10-15  7:21                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-15  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)