* [BUG] PRIORITIES does not accept multi-byte unicode characters [9.6.9 (N/A @ /gnu/store/3rxpvdkn907pb1ccm2yl3ffyaz02k7d1-emacs-org-9.6.9/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.6.9/)]
@ 2023-09-12 10:16 Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-09-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

Hi, I tried to hack a UI together to have simple marking of entries with
priorities and found that multi-byte priorities do not work.

To reproduce: Set priorities as

#+PRIORITIES: 🇩🇪 🇬🇧 🇩🇪

Then go on a headline and press S-up.

Expected: The lowest priority is selected: [#🇩🇪]

Actual: Only the first byte of the lowest priority is selected: [#🇩]

I understand full well that I am not using this as indended, but I think
nonetheless that this is a bug, because it would likely also break for
at least some Japanese letters.

Best wishes,
Arne

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0)
Package: Org mode version 9.6.9 (N/A @ /gnu/store/3rxpvdkn907pb1ccm2yl3ffyaz02k7d1-emacs-org-9.6.9/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.6.9/)
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [BUG] PRIORITIES does not accept multi-byte unicode characters [9.6.9 (N/A @ /gnu/store/3rxpvdkn907pb1ccm2yl3ffyaz02k7d1-emacs-org-9.6.9/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.6.9/)]
  2023-09-12 10:16 [BUG] PRIORITIES does not accept multi-byte unicode characters [9.6.9 (N/A @ /gnu/store/3rxpvdkn907pb1ccm2yl3ffyaz02k7d1-emacs-org-9.6.9/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.6.9/)] Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
@ 2023-09-12 11:00 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-12 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:

> Hi, I tried to hack a UI together to have simple marking of entries with
> priorities and found that multi-byte priorities do not work.
>
> To reproduce: Set priorities as
>
> #+PRIORITIES: 🇩🇪 🇬🇧 🇩🇪
>
> Then go on a headline and press S-up.
>
> Expected: The lowest priority is selected: [#🇩🇪]
>
> Actual: Only the first byte of the lowest priority is selected: [#🇩]

Try M-x describe-char on any of these emojis.
Org mode relies on `string-to-char' to extract the priority char and
(insert (string-to-char "🇩🇪")) ;=> 🇩

So, it is a problem with Emacs. You may report it with M-x report-emacs-bug

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2024-01-20 14:21   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-01-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Expected: The lowest priority is selected: [#🇩🇪]
>>
>> Actual: Only the first byte of the lowest priority is selected: [#🇩]
>
> Try M-x describe-char on any of these emojis.
> Org mode relies on `string-to-char' to extract the priority char and
> (insert (string-to-char "🇩🇪")) ;=> 🇩
>
> So, it is a problem with Emacs. You may report it with M-x report-emacs-bug

I am looking into this now, with a different set of system fonts, and it
is now clear what is going on.

🇩🇪 is actually not a single Unicode character, but 2 characters: 🇩 and
🇪. The reason they are rendered as emoji is likely font composition
rules.

Org mode priorities _must_ be a single char.

That said, it is indeed confusing when what _appears_ to be a single
char is not under the hood.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,