* Return on a task behaves like TAB
@ 2009-02-04 18:52 Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-04 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

A recent change to org-mode is driving me nuts.  I regularly use Return
at the beginning of a task to insert a blank line and append detail to
the previous task.  This no longer works and cycles through the task's
folded status instead.

I usually work with my org-file partially folded so it could be
something like this

** Some Task...
** Another task...

and I want to add detail at the end of 'Some Task'.  What I used to do
was just put the point at the beginning of the line for ** Another Task
and then hit RETURN to insert a blank line and move up to it to add
detail.

Now it cycles Another Task through the various folded states.  C-q C-j
does what I want but I haven't unlearned my old workflow yet.

Is there a way to turn this behaviour off?

I learned this workflow because C-e puts the point after 'Some Task' and
before '...' so if I start typing there it ends up on the first line
after the task.  I don't know of a convenient way to get to the end of
the data in the task (after the '...')

I also work regularly with the results of a org-spare-tree search and
RET changes the folding status which loses the results of the search for
me which isn't very convenient.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Return on a task behaves like TAB
@ 2009-02-04 19:02 ` Ed Hirgelt
From: Ed Hirgelt @ 2009-02-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 4, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> A recent change to org-mode is driving me nuts.  I regularly use
> Return
> at the beginning of a task to insert a blank line and append detail to
> the previous task.  This no longer works and cycles through the task's
> folded status instead.

That is interesting.  I do the same thing.  I am at 6.21a and the
old behavior still works for me.  What version are you using?

Ed Hirgelt

* Re: Return on a task behaves like TAB
@ 2009-02-04 19:20   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Hirgelt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ed Hirgelt <ehirgelt@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 4, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> A recent change to org-mode is driving me nuts.  I regularly use
>> Return
>> at the beginning of a task to insert a blank line and append detail to
>> the previous task.  This no longer works and cycles through the task's
>> folded status instead.
>
> That is interesting.  I do the same thing.  I am at 6.21a and the
> old behavior still works for me.  What version are you using?

I'm on today's version in git.

Org-mode version 6.21trans
Git commit be9557bf44b64bb1f1d85d04d398b7b48d24f935
GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2008-11-09 on raven, modified by Debian

I restarted Emacs and now it works again :/

My emacs session was running for a day to two and I've reloaded newer
versions of org-mode a few times.  C-h k RET was returning
org-open-at-point instead of org-return (like it does now after the
restart).

I'm not sure how this was modified but it's working again now.

Thanks!

@ 2009-02-04 22:50 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-04 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think this is caused by the new default for `org-return-follows-link',
maybe some interaction with org-mouse which activates the stars for
the mouse.

I am reverting the change to switch to this default until I have a
more robust
implementation.

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-05  9:23 ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-02-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bernt,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> ** Some Task...
> ** Another task...
>
> and I want to add detail at the end of 'Some Task'.  What I used to do
> was just put the point at the beginning of the line for ** Another Task
> and then hit RETURN to insert a blank line and move up to it to add
> detail.

just as a side note: wouldn't it be better to use C-o (`open-line')
instead of RET (`newline')?  This would leave the cursor probably where
you want it to be without the need for an additional C-p.

Ulf

* Re: Re: Return on a task behaves like TAB
@ 2009-02-05  9:29   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-05  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 5, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Hi Bernt,
>
> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

>> ** Some Task...
>> ** Another task...
>>
>> and I want to add detail at the end of 'Some Task'.  What I used to
>> do
>> was just put the point at the beginning of the line for ** Another
>> Task
>> and then hit RETURN to insert a blank line and move up to it to add
>> detail.
>
> just as a side note: wouldn't it be better to use C-o (`open-line')
> instead of RET (`newline')?  This would leave the cursor probably
> where
> you want it to be without the need for an additional C-p.

I am actually permanently reverting the change in the default value of
org-return-follows-link.  I will implement it a more safe way
so that people who want can safely use it, but it will not become
the default as it sort-of conflicts with Emacs rules (which
state that RET should make new lines unless there is a very
good reason for it...

- Carsten

* Re: Return on a task behaves like TAB
@ 2009-02-05 13:18   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:

> Hi Bernt,

Hi Ulf!

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

>> ** Some Task...
>> ** Another task...
>>
>> and I want to add detail at the end of 'Some Task'.  What I used to do
>> was just put the point at the beginning of the line for ** Another Task
>> and then hit RETURN to insert a blank line and move up to it to add
>> detail.
>
> just as a side note: wouldn't it be better to use C-o (`open-line')
> instead of RET (`newline')?  This would leave the cursor probably where
> you want it to be without the need for an additional C-p.

Yes it probably would - I wasn't aware of that :)  Thanks.

-Bernt