emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* François Pinard RIP
@ 2014-07-21 15:56 Nick Dokos
  2014-07-22  7:57 ` Rasmus
  2014-07-27 12:31 ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-21 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


I just found out that François Pinard (author of org grep among other
tools and frequent contributor to this list) died recently:

https://plus.google.com/118038589019918324505/posts/DFuvYBrh4th

--
Nick

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: François Pinard RIP
  2014-07-21 15:56 François Pinard RIP Nick Dokos
@ 2014-07-22  7:57 ` Rasmus
  2014-07-22 10:22   ` Thorsten Jolitz
  2014-07-27 12:31 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Rasmus @ 2014-07-22  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> I just found out that François Pinard (author of org grep among other
> tools and frequent contributor to this list) died recently:
>
> https://plus.google.com/118038589019918324505/posts/DFuvYBrh4th

From his interaction with this list François seemed like a great guy.
RIP.

—Rasmus

-- 
Dobbelt-A

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: François Pinard RIP
  2014-07-22  7:57 ` Rasmus
@ 2014-07-22 10:22   ` Thorsten Jolitz
  2014-07-22 11:04     ` Eric Abrahamsen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-22 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just found out that François Pinard (author of org grep among other
>> tools and frequent contributor to this list) died recently:

This is sad news. 

Somehow, whenever I had an idea for a *brandnew*, cool&useful little Org
library and went ahead implementing it, it turned out that François had
this idea before and already had implemented his own version of the
library. 

This happened first when I announced Outorg, only to find out that he
had announced Poporg a few weeks ago. 

Then someone requested a feature for Outshine that shows the number of
hidden lines in folded headlines, which I implemented and then factored
out as the small 'org-hlc.el' library (Org hidden-lines-cookies). Only
to find out a bit later that there was 'org-weights.el' by - guess
whom. 

The completely different implementations show that all these libraries
were developed completely independently, but nevertheless - François was
very kind and friendly all the time, not a sign of anger that somebody
'stole ideas' or 'doubled efforts' or so. It actually became a kind of
internal joke between us that for whatever project I started, he already
had an implementation in his "back-catalogue", and I used to send him a
PM first before starting a new project. 

While its normally a pretty frustrating thing to write a library that
already exists, it turned out that our implementations complemented each
other rather than competed with each other (see our joint article
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-outside-org.html on Worg). So
nowadays I tend to use his Poporg (https://github.com/pinard/poporg) for
editing doc-strings of functions and variables in Org-mode, and my own
Outorg for editing whole subtrees and (outshine) buffers in Org-mode.

Its sad that this extremely friendly "competition" between Org library
writers cannot continue.

RIP

-- 
cheers,
Thorsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: François Pinard RIP
  2014-07-22 10:22   ` Thorsten Jolitz
@ 2014-07-22 11:04     ` Eric Abrahamsen
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-22 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just found out that François Pinard (author of org grep among other
>>> tools and frequent contributor to this list) died recently:
>
> This is sad news. 
>
> Somehow, whenever I had an idea for a *brandnew*, cool&useful little Org
> library and went ahead implementing it, it turned out that François had
> this idea before and already had implemented his own version of the
> library. 
>
> This happened first when I announced Outorg, only to find out that he
> had announced Poporg a few weeks ago. 
>
> Then someone requested a feature for Outshine that shows the number of
> hidden lines in folded headlines, which I implemented and then factored
> out as the small 'org-hlc.el' library (Org hidden-lines-cookies). Only
> to find out a bit later that there was 'org-weights.el' by - guess
> whom. 
>
> The completely different implementations show that all these libraries
> were developed completely independently, but nevertheless - François was
> very kind and friendly all the time, not a sign of anger that somebody
> 'stole ideas' or 'doubled efforts' or so. It actually became a kind of
> internal joke between us that for whatever project I started, he already
> had an implementation in his "back-catalogue", and I used to send him a
> PM first before starting a new project. 
>
> While its normally a pretty frustrating thing to write a library that
> already exists, it turned out that our implementations complemented each
> other rather than competed with each other (see our joint article
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-outside-org.html on Worg). So
> nowadays I tend to use his Poporg (https://github.com/pinard/poporg) for
> editing doc-strings of functions and variables in Org-mode, and my own
> Outorg for editing whole subtrees and (outshine) buffers in Org-mode.
>
> Its sad that this extremely friendly "competition" between Org library
> writers cannot continue.

Thanks for this, Thorsten.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: François Pinard RIP
  2014-07-21 15:56 François Pinard RIP Nick Dokos
  2014-07-22  7:57 ` Rasmus
@ 2014-07-27 12:31 ` Bastien
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> I just found out that François Pinard (author of org grep among other
> tools and frequent contributor to this list) died recently:
>
> https://plus.google.com/118038589019918324505/posts/DFuvYBrh4th

François was among the few people you can finally call "friends",
even when you never met them, just because they care about taking
the time to discuss things thoroughly and friendly on the Internet.

I was impressed to discover all the things he did for free software
and I suggest you have a look.

I was also impressed by all the patience he had when dealing with
people.  He has been more than supportive with me when things were
difficult, and I owe him a lot for that.

I already miss him and will do so for a long time I guess.

-- 
 Bastien

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2014-07-28 17:25 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2014-07-21 15:56 François Pinard RIP Nick Dokos
2014-07-22  7:57 ` Rasmus
2014-07-22 10:22   ` Thorsten Jolitz
2014-07-22 11:04     ` Eric Abrahamsen
2014-07-27 12:31 ` Bastien

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).