* ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-02 11:56 ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-09-02 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I posted patches for ob-java and ob-haxe a couple months ago but there was
no interest. I have been given access to push to contrib. If there's no
objection I'll put them there.

I'll rename my version ob-java-alt so it doesn't conflict with the official
one. The contrib directory doesn't have a "testing" directory so I'll add
one. I'll document them in worg.

-Ian

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-03  4:55 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-09-03  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

ian martins writes:

> I posted patches for ob-java and ob-haxe a couple months ago but there was
> no interest. I have been given access to push to contrib. If there's no
> objection I'll put them there.
>
> I'll rename my version ob-java-alt so it doesn't conflict with the official
> one. The contrib directory doesn't have a "testing" directory so I'll add
> one. I'll document them in worg.

My understanding is that there's been a move away from adding new
libraries to contrib/, instead preferring an ELPA for cases where core
isn't deemed appropriate.

Fixes and enhancements to ob-java are obviously appropriate for core.
And while it'd be fine to host ob-haxe separately, my impression is that
it too would be suitable for core.

I'm sorry your patches haven't gotten any reviews or other feedback.
I've sat down a couple of times to review the ob-haxe patch but haven't
ended up blocking off enough time to get anywhere.  I'll revisit it this
weekend.  Of course, any feedback from those that actually use haxe
would be appreciated.

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-03 13:29   ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-09-03 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

That is understandable; they're big patches. I recommend going over ob-java
first. Java is probably more familiar to you and ob-java and ob-haxe are
very similar. These were mostly based on ob-python and ob-C. The tests are
based on ob-Cs tests.

Look carefully at org-babel-temp-dir and
org-babel-remove-temporary-directory. The patches override core but ideally
these would be changes in core.

I was hesitant to put these in ELPA because then the tests won't run when
org-mode is modified.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 12:56 AM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:

> ian martins writes:
>
> > I posted patches for ob-java and ob-haxe a couple months ago but there
> was
> > no interest. I have been given access to push to contrib. If there's no
> > objection I'll put them there.
> >
> > I'll rename my version ob-java-alt so it doesn't conflict with the
> official
> > one. The contrib directory doesn't have a "testing" directory so I'll add
> > one. I'll document them in worg.
>
> My understanding is that there's been a move away from adding new
> libraries to contrib/, instead preferring an ELPA for cases where core
> isn't deemed appropriate.
>
> Fixes and enhancements to ob-java are obviously appropriate for core.
> And while it'd be fine to host ob-haxe separately, my impression is that
> it too would be suitable for core.
>
> I'm sorry your patches haven't gotten any reviews or other feedback.
> I've sat down a couple of times to review the ob-haxe patch but haven't
> ended up blocking off enough time to get anywhere.  I'll revisit it this
> weekend.  Of course, any feedback from those that actually use haxe
> would be appreciated.

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-04  9:50     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ian,

thanks for your work on this.  Changes for ob-java.el should go in
core after the 9.4 release.  By the way, if you want to be ob-java.el
maintainer, that'd be appreciated too!

For ob-haxe.el, as Kyle suggests, let's prefer GNU ELPA (or upcoming
Non-GNU ELPA): Elisp files in contrib/ will be exfiltrated after 9.4.

 Bastien

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-05 11:34       ` ian martins
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: ian martins @ 2020-09-05 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bastien,

Sure, I'd be happy to maintain ob-java.

The drawback with keeping ob-haxe in an external repo is that the tests
won't run when org-mode is changed, but in practice its tests are very
similar to ob-java's so the actual risk of it being broken by a change will
be small if ob-java is in core.

I'll submit ob-haxe to GNU ELPA after ob-java has been accepted. That way I
can take out the common parts of ob-haxe which will have been incorporated
into ob-core.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 5:50 AM Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> thanks for your work on this.  Changes for ob-java.el should go in
> core after the 9.4 release.  By the way, if you want to be ob-java.el
> maintainer, that'd be appreciated too!
>
> For ob-haxe.el, as Kyle suggests, let's prefer GNU ELPA (or upcoming
> Non-GNU ELPA): Elisp files in contrib/ will be exfiltrated after 9.4.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-05 13:04         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ian,

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> Sure, I'd be happy to maintain ob-java.

Thanks!  Does your work on ob-java.el fix bugs or does it foremost
add new features?  If the former, we can add it now to master, then
add you as a maintainer immediately.

> The drawback with keeping ob-haxe in an external repo is that the
> tests won't run when org-mode is changed, but in practice its tests
> are very similar to ob-java's so the actual risk of it being broken
> by a change will be small if ob-java is in core.
>
> I'll submit ob-haxe to GNU ELPA after ob-java has been accepted. That
> way I can take out the common parts of ob-haxe which will have been
> incorporated into ob-core.

Yes -- for now (< 9.4) we cannot accept changes in ob-core.el.

 Bastien

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-05 13:43           ` ian martins
From: ian martins @ 2020-09-05 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

It primarily adds features.

It fixes the problem reported here [1] but that's probably not a common
problem and the person who reported it probably already migrated.

[1] https://orgmode.org/list/87d05nidu1.fsf@iki.fi/

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 9:04 AM Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:
>
> > Sure, I'd be happy to maintain ob-java.
>
> Thanks!  Does your work on ob-java.el fix bugs or does it foremost
> add new features?  If the former, we can add it now to master, then
> add you as a maintainer immediately.
>
> > The drawback with keeping ob-haxe in an external repo is that the
> > tests won't run when org-mode is changed, but in practice its tests
> > are very similar to ob-java's so the actual risk of it being broken
> > by a change will be small if ob-java is in core.
> >
> > I'll submit ob-haxe to GNU ELPA after ob-java has been accepted. That
> > way I can take out the common parts of ob-haxe which will have been
> > incorporated into ob-core.
>
> Yes -- for now (< 9.4) we cannot accept changes in ob-core.el.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-05 14:06             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ian,

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> It primarily adds features.

Okay, thanks for the feedback, let's wait a bit then.

> It fixes the problem reported here [1] but that's probably not a
> common problem and the person who reported it probably already
> migrated.

Indeed.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-23 12:37         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ian,

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> Sure, I'd be happy to maintain ob-java.

thanks again for maintaining ob-java.el -- I've add you as the
maintainer in ob-java.el header.

Org 9.4 is out, feel free to push improvements.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
@ 2020-09-23 12:38         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

> I'll submit ob-haxe to GNU ELPA after ob-java has been accepted.

Thanks - I confirm contrib/ is not the place anymore for external
elisp packages, better to go on GNU ELPA.

--
 Bastien